Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gameday Thread

Simmsy

Payton has to be the only coach in the league ever to call a play like that.   3rd and goal, up 3 with 1:45 on the clock and no timeouts for the other team, while your defense has been playing absolutely lights out for the last 3.5 quarters.   You have arguably the most talented RB duo in the league, not to mention "thopterback" Taysom Hill.  

I know,  lets call an end around to my 5th string receiver/punt returner,    They'll never expect it!

Almost as bad as the Pete Carroll call in the Superbowl. 

28 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Payton has to be the only coach in the league ever to call a play like that.   3rd and goal, up 3 with 1:45 on the clock and no timeouts for the other team, while your defense has been playing absolutely lights out for the last 3.5 quarters.   You have arguably the most talented RB duo in the league, not to mention "thopterback" Taysom Hill.  

I know,  lets call an end around to my 5th string receiver/punt returner,    They'll never expect it!

Almost as bad as the Pete Carroll call in the Superbowl. 

Didn’t see the game.  Payton is typically a fantastic play caller but every now and then he outsmarts himself, or over thinks things.

Wife is a saints fan so see a lot of them.

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Another BS rule.

A team should not be handed possession of a fumble, if the other team fumbles out of the end zone, and noone recovers it.

It should be a Touchback, but possession should go to the same team.

How on earth do you justify the defense earning a fumble recovery in that ?

ObxpWAN.jpg

You could turn that around and say the same thing about the Panthers.

They didn't recover it either.

If noone recovers then it should default to the last team that had it. Just like if it went out of bounds. Why should the fact that it randomly bounced into

the end zone before it went out bounds, make it any different ?

I am of the belief that a team should not be awarded a change of possession, if they did absolutely nothing whatsoever to earn it.

If the guy had fumbled it to the side out of bounds at the one (it was a bit hard to tell if it didn’t go out of bounds first as it was) the saints would have kept the ball and probably run the clock out easily.  It makes no sense that a player fumbling from there out of the end zone should lose possession.

I thought the offsetting penalties earlier was pretty ridiculous too.  Saints make a big play and the receiver is interfered with, after making the play the receiver stiff arms the panthers player.  Refs called Offsetting penalties erasing the play and getting the second half off to a ****ty start.

Put me down as thinking it's a stupid rule. Maybe not the most stupid, but stupid none the less. Nobody clearly recovers a ball, should not be grounds to give it to the other team, I don't care where on the field or endzone the fumble occurs or ends up. Ball moved back to the 10 sounds about right to me. If they'd gained a 1st down prior to fumble it's 1st and goal from the 10, if it was just an "and goal" play, they treat it like a normal down, just the line of scrimmage is now the 10. 

10 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Why should the fact that it randomly bounced into

the end zone before it went out bounds, make it any different ?

You said it yourself, the ball bounced into the end zone. The end zone, by definition, is zoned differently from the rest of the field. You can score points there, you can give points to the other team there, and you can lose possession of the ball there. The ball itself is treated like a live ball from a punt or a kick: It goes out the back, it's a touchback.

9 hours ago, visionary said:

If the guy had fumbled it to the side out of bounds at the one (it was a bit hard to tell if it didn’t go out of bounds first as it was) the saints would have kept the ball and probably run the clock out easily.  It makes no sense that a player fumbling from there out of the end zone should lose possession.

I thought the offsetting penalties earlier was pretty ridiculous too.  Saints make a big play and the receiver is interfered with, after making the play the receiver stiff arms the panthers player.  Refs called Offsetting penalties erasing the play and getting the second half off to a ****ty start.

I agree. It's a stupid rule. Offense can fumble the ball forward out out of bounds the previous 99 yards down the field and keep possession but that last yard it's a touchback. Makes no sense. 

5 hours ago, NickyJ said:

You said it yourself, the ball bounced into the end zone. The end zone, by definition, is zoned differently from the rest of the field. You can score points there, you can give points to the other team there, and you can lose possession of the ball there.

You'll have to pardon me for not having a deep understanding of the powers of this endzone you speak of, since my team rarely ever gets there.

9 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

My end zone, the area I’m trying to protect and keep you out of, belongs to me. If you walk into my yard holding your frisbee in your hand, you get to keep it. But sorry, but if your frizbee flies into my yard and lands on my roof, I’m keeping it lol...

So that also explains why the Browns' Dawg Pound is situated in the end zone. If the other team sends a frisbee in that area, that neither you nor your neighbor catch in time - then you can depend one of your Dawgs to catch and claim it.

Every year I watch this league, year after year, it feels more and more rigged. It’s that or the refs are just that bad. Not a single game goes by where I don’t see an arbitrary, game changing penalty call that doesn’t get called the same way on the other side.

11 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

Every year I watch this league, year after year, it feels more and more rigged. It’s that or the refs are just that bad. Not a single game goes by where I don’t see an arbitrary, game changing penalty call that doesn’t get called the same way on the other side.

This post gave me serious deja vu. ;)

And that D just sealed the game... hidden play was holding on Okung prior to the fumble/TD return.

Kurt Warner should be on MNF TV over the clowns they have (Booger and Whitten). I lhave listened to him multuple times on the radio with Harlan doing MNF... Tirico and Warner is just as good.

Archived