Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

September 3, 2018

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have made the following roster moves:

The Redskins signed the following players to their practice squad:

DT Caushaud Lyons

QB Nic Shimonek

The Redskins signed the following free agent:

DT Caleb Brantley

The Redskins waived the following player designated as injured:

DE Anthony Lanier

Shimonek is actually pretty intriguing. Unlike some of the other "name" QBs released like Tanner Lee, Shimonek actually had solid college numbers. He only really played on season (he was behind Mahomes), but accurate with the ball and avoids turnovers. It's still pretty much an extreme long shot to be anything, but for a practice squad guy it seems pretty good.

11 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Are we ignoring the fact he's designated as injured?  I can't imagine you can just make that up.

It's not being ignored, but he wasn't practicing due to his hip so they had to designate him as injured to cut him. Seems more like a coincidence (he was already on the bubble and had a minor injury) then the driving cause of the move.

The knock on Brantley was he was too inconsistent.  He’d look like a 1st rd talent one play and then a UDFA the next.  Apparently the Browns gave up on him because he didn’t take a step forward with his work ethic so they traded with the Saints for Davaroe Lawrence who’s basically the same type of player with a better work ethic.  

1 hour ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

So lemme get this straight:  Brantley can't crack the 53-man roster for literally the worst team in NFL history (1-31 in their last two combined seasons), yet we cut a self-developed promising player to pick him up....  Can someone more intelligent than me, PLEASE try to explain this to me, cuz I've got nothin....

I'll take a crack.  The Browns did not go 0-16 because their defense sucked.  They were ranked 14th in yards allowed.  They were very bad in points allowed but 42 points were not scored on the defense while offensive and teams fails didn't help in many other cases. Their defense is very likely better than ours.

50 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

I'll take a crack.  The Browns did not go 0-16 because their defense sucked.  They were ranked 14th in yards allowed.  They were very bad in points allowed but 42 points were not scored on the defense while offensive and teams fails didn't help in many other cases. Their defense is very likely better than ours.

Fair enough... that makes a little sense... but he was still cut from the 53, meaning he wasn't considered even the 6th best DLineman on the roster... plus numerous concerns about work ethic, laziness, and possible domestic violence.... still puzzled why we'd waive Lanier (even if trying to get him back on IR, or practice squad, etc.) to take on a big risk like this...  guess we'll see....

3 hours ago, posse87 said:

Sounds more like they are just trying to save salary/paying him. 

That's ridiculous. They can't lie about Lanier's injury.

Lanier was a decent player, but folks are acting as if the team waived Bruce Smith in his prime.

From what I understand, one of the reasons the move was made was because Brantley is good against the pass and the run, while Lanier could be good in the pass but a liability against the run.

I'm sure the Redskins still like Lanier, but you just can't keep everybody.

The injured thing makes it weird. Why let him make the initial 53 then? Don't think it's a good move. I like pure passrusher Lanier better then Caleb. He is limited but has found his niche. 

42 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

From what I understand, one of the reasons the move was made was because Brantley is good against the pass and the run, while Lanier could be good in the pass but a liability against the run.

I'm sure the Redskins still like Lanier, but you just can't keep everybody.

Do we need a 3 down guy? He is the 6th lineman. He can be a limited rotation guy if you ask me. Hood is already your all over the field rotation guy.

I think there’s a lot of teams that are holding onto a few players at the bottom of their rosters — that are dispensable — and waiting to see what the cuts will bring forth... and what they could possibly swing for trades rather than outright cut (and give away). Players with *some* value.... but not necessarily the right fit for the team the way it’s currently constructed.

10 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Do we need a 3 down guy? He is the 6th lineman. He can be a limited rotation guy if you ask me. Hood is already your all over the field rotation guy.

But having a 3 down player that is good against the pass and run is an advantage if injuries start to be an issue.

Not sure why this is a problem for some. Lanier was hurt, anyway. The team needed to bring in a healthy player.

Unless you want the team to have an injured d-lineman as their back-up this Sunday?

Archived