Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

Honestly- I think the Republicans know that Kavanaugh is a losing proposition.  The red-in-the-face screaming about George Brett, Clinton conspiracies, how much he likes beer, fart jokes, the bizarre interaction with Klobuchar- none of those things exactly paint the picture of a distinguished Constitutional scholar to your average swing voter.

They're looking for a way to dump him without looking weak to their base and Trump.  They can't just vote him down or anyone who doesn't comply is sure to face a tough primary in the next go-around.

The more I think about it, the more I think that they'll use the week to form a PR campaign for Kavanaugh to withdraw, stating that, "as much as I want to serve my country in the highest court, the ugliness of politics is not something that I want to expose my family to." Then the FBI report never sees the light of day.

They'll also use the week to vet another low-risk nominee to be confirmed before election day.

I was listening to the radio on the way home and they had someone on that was some kind of investigator. They gave a couple examples of things the FBI could do that you could never get from the Senate hearing.

The first was a handwriting forensics expert to see if it looks like Kavanaugh or anyone has made updates to the calendar since 1982 or whatever year he said it is from.  The prosecutor lady just from her questioning seemed to suggest she had caught him in some kind of lie when he was referring to the calendar, informed the GOP how she had to proceed ethically and was immediately dismissed.

The next example given was the FBI looking at the calendar entry about meeting up with (I forget the names) for some (brew)skis, because it corroborated with the date Ford said the party happened. If the FBI can track down the guy who's house Kavanaugh claimed he was going to, they can then look at Ford's testimony and possibly ask her more questions because she provided a semi-layout of the bedroom/bathroom/stairwell.  They can begin to place her in that house/room (or not).

So just small, but significant stuff like that are good examples of how much more thorough an FBI investigation would be.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

It was either this thread or UniteTheRight.

Hard to know what a college campus is like when you’ve never been on one.  Tucker’s playing his audience like the uneducated dimwits that they are.

If the left is attacking old white men then the right is attacking higher education.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GhostofSparta said:

This is why Republicans voted Trump in 2016, even if they hated/were disgusted by him.

Negative. They voted for Trump because anti-intellectualism has taken hold of the GOP. Courts had nothing to do with Trump wiping the floor with every other candidate in the primaries including some actual, respectable conservatives.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Oh Good. Another week of this. Want to hear more weird Ivy League/Princeton stuff to kill time? I have Menendez Brother stories, James Hogue stories, A Beautiful Mind stories, Nude Olympics stuff, Bicker stuff, etc. I once talked to a local con artist for an hour on the phone, because she somehow convinced me she was Doug Flutie's sister. I got threatened by the rugby team. I had a weird argument with a Penn Daily sports writer that became a small feud. I was involved in trying to expose Pete Carill as history's greatest monster two months before we beat UCLA. I met William F. Buckley. I went to a James Brown concert that lasted 36 minutes.

But have you boofed yet?

10 hours ago, visionary said:

It would be interesting to see whether a failed Kavanaugh bid for the SC would damage Trump, the giver of Federalist Society Judges, politically. Probably not with his base but you have to think the Senators who have defended Kavanaugh would be irked by having been dragged down into the mud on this one.