Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-Curse D.C. Sports Thread

Sticksboi05

8 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Dumbest post I've heard on this forum, and I've heard a ton. Wow.

So you're saying that if I'm born in DC and I happen to root for the Caps, I HAVE to root for the Skins, Nats, Wizards, Mystics, DC United, Langley High

School Chess Team, and so on. BY LAW I have to root for them.

Tell me again, who's insane?

If you actually read his post, he didn't say that at all, really.

Saying that you don't believe in having to root  for all the teams in DC just because of your interest in one or two is fine.

Going off of that by itself, you would be me. I follow the Skins and Nats, don't follow the others. And that's where it really ends. Win lose, draw, it doesn't bother me. One of them even plays in the same division as the team I root for.

Where you go down the rabbit hole is Your strange, irrational fear of not being the center of attention. Why you care so much about that, I don't know. You won a title (the first in DC in a generation, which will never be forgotten), and yet still you have found a way to devalue it all by yourself. This is the real reason why enjoying the moment and freeing yourself of expectations is important.

It will keep you from resorting to epic silliness like this.

Hockey is not a top tier American sport in terms of popularity. Not everyone is going to follow it, and no one really cares how you feel about that.

Despite our denial, the Washington Redskins still dominate the local conversation. If they start 6-0, they are going to be all over the place, just like 2012, parts of 2015, or anytime they don't completely suck ass (and even then, people, myself incuded, usually take turns ****ting on them from every street corner). The Nats are very much in the thick of things and are getting their horses back, and it's shaping up to be an exciting second half of the season (hopefully).

Stanley ain't going anywhere, but the earth keeps spinning, man, and there are other good teams in this city that have a chance to go on that same kind of improbable run, like, this year. Ive heard some weird stuff from people in terms of fandom justification, but wanting local teams to fail so a single one gets all the glory might take the cake ?

Just enjoy this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

When it comes to October, if a skins game, Nats postseason game and a hockey game is on, Nats are #1.  Who the hell cares about a regular season game in hockey in october? 

Obviously the Nats in the postseason would be #1.

But I would be curious about a Skins game in week 5 versus an early season Caps game coming off a season where they just won the Cup.  Not necessarily the first home game where they raise the banner....you know that is going to be a hot ticket. But even the next game against some random team. I just have a sense the Caps might get some early season cache out of the Cup win that they haven't had in previous years where they've been a top team but have fallen short in the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, Mournblade said:

So you're saying that if I'm born in DC and I happen to root for the Caps, I HAVE to root for the Skins, Nats, Wizards, Mystics, DC United

Yes

Well at least the first 2. Third doesn't really have a fanbase. 

On 6/8/2018 at 5:43 PM, Warhead36 said:

BTW, how about a big "F U" to Michael Wilbon? Calling DC a minor league sports town? Why don't you take your fat ass back to Chicago.

He was already on his spin machine a few days ago saying Toews has more cups. Biggest DC troll hata out there. 

Haters make us famous. 

Edited by ixcuincle

4 hours ago, hail2skins said:

are there people on here who solely post in the Tailgate and never in the Stadium, even during football season?  I just find that kind of strange...………...

Personally from what I've seen most of the people I see posting in the tailgate don't post regularly or even at all in the stadium but there are some.

44 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Personally from what I've seen most of the people I see posting in the tailgate don't post regularly or even at all in the stadium but there are some.

I post more there when there is actually something to discuss. Now, there are the Caps and Nats to talk about. Come training camp, I'll be more active there.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

It’s depressing enough not participating in the  stadium 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mournblade said:

There is this weird assumption here by some of the posters that "if you root for one DC sports team, you must root for all of them." 

Sorry, that's not the case at all. I'm a jealous, mean-spirited Caps fan. I don't want any of the DC sports teams stealing our thunder. most

especially the Nats. I'm not worried about the Skins and Wizards, but I am worried about the Nats. I want them to FAIL, not forever, but at least this season, and maybe for the next ten years. I want 2018 to be about the Caps and the Caps ALONE. Sorry, but thats the way I feel.

I've seen some bad takes in my day.

This one's pretty far up the list. 

Woof. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Which brings me to an unrelated thought.  I think having the Tailgate is cool and all, and maybe its just me, but are there people on here who solely post in the Tailgate and never in the Stadium, even during football season?  I just find that kind of strange...………...

It's been a long time since I posted in the Stadium. I just don't invest any emotion into the Skins anymore and a lot less time overall. It's a good group of people over here in the tailgate and that works for me. 

7 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

I used to, but it became unbearable. I will post maybe a few times a year now. 

BTW, that kind of makes you a stalker. 

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

DC is a Caps town now

I love the Caps... but no. Not even trying to be funny.  

Redskins still are the top. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The passion for the Caps has been greater then the Skins for a while now. Redskins games are 50% opposing fans.

Almost every stadium is, or can be like that now. Stadium attendance is not an accurate representation of a fanbase.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The passion for the Caps has been greater then the Skins for a while now. Redskins games are 50% opposing fans, the die hard portion of that fan base is dying off.

I haven't been there in years but now that you posted this I am going to a game so at least one of them can be 49%

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The passion for the Caps has been greater then the Skins for a while now. Redskins games are 50% opposing fans, the die hard portion of that fan base is dying off.

Because the Caps are winning and the Redskins are losing.  Die Hards aren't dying off, the Super Bowls were in the 80s and '91, not World War II.  It's like Griffin never even happened, thats a taste of what DC looks like when Redskins are hot.

This thread has the same wafting smell of misery as the Curse thread, I don't understand.

Edited by Renegade7

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

This thread has the same wafting smell of misery as the Curse thread, I don't understand.

It's more compartmentalized misery than the overall "OMG DC SPORPS!!!!!" misery. Wizards fans are still miserable over Ernie Grunfield, Skins fans over Snyder and Boob Allen. I'll still be a nervous wreck come NLDS--should the Nats make it.

However, one has to be a major sourpuss/curmudgeon to not enjoy watching Ovi and the Caps go on a 72-hour celebratory bender. The best parts are them out in the streets, celebrating with fans. I am a serious sourpuss/curmudgeon and loved watching it, so I can only imagine what kind of debbie downer one would have to be NOT to enjoy that.

• Like 1