Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-Curse D.C. Sports Thread

Sticksboi05

Couldn't be happier for the Mystics. They were charter members of the WNBA and while basketball, as a whole, doesn't really do much for me, they represent my hometown and haven't done anything to overtly disgrace it. They were also very accommodating to the Capitals and the team's fans for letting them come to one of their games free of charge since it was ahead of the 5th Stanley Cup Final game.

It's Seattle and Washington for the championship, just like it was 40 years ago. Let's go Mystics! 

(Also, CapOne Center is under renovation right now)

Edited by thebluefood
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wizards only team still cursed. Every other team in DC is making the playoffs or the finals! Even the Nationals had a bad year and finished above .500! And the Wizards are LAST in the East :rofl89:

Redskins - 5-2

Nationals - 82-80? 

Capitals - SC Champs

Valor - Arena Bowl champs

Mystics - Eastern Conference Champions

DC United - 4th seed in MLS playoffs, playing playoff game at home tomorrow 

Wizards - last in the East :rofl89:

Edited by ixcuincle

I don't know if it's cursed. 

United won a knockout round game against New England a few years back. They made it to the EC Semifinal against NY (can't remember red bulls or CFC) and lost. 

Yesterday was pretty good and raucous atmosphere. On paper United had the advantage as they ended season strong while Columbus limped into playoffs. But the game on the field was a different story. United scored first but then Columbus equalized right in front of me a few minutes later. United had many good opportunities but missed. They seemed too hesitant to shoot at times. 

You saw a team like NYCFC control the game against Philadelphia and win 3-1 (they led 2-0 early after about 30 minutes). If United put an effort like that the story might have been different. Credit to Crew though. 

26 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

After last night, can we add DC United to the “cursed” list?

Pretty sure they were the only DC team winning championships between the Redskins last and and Caps this year.  I think they can be cursed just like any other DC team, but have they had it as bad as the others this century? Debatable. You can make argument they only team that's had more success then the caps in that time span.

Ix touched on it, there's a difference between possible dark arts being involved and just losing to a better team like what happened last night. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Man, it's a good thing I barely care about basketball or I'd be disgusted right now.

However, in keeping with the theme of this thread, The Curse Gods allowed the Caps to slip through their bony fingers last season.  The price must be paid.  Alex SMith and John Wall were only the start.  So let it be written.  Begin the lamentations.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If Bryce walks, it will cap off one of the worst Sports winters for the area I can remember.

If he walks to the Phillies, it would. I'm pretty much resigned to him not coming back here. I cannot believe it's 7 days to pitchers and catchers and neither Harper nor Machado are even close to a deal. Keuchel and Kimbrel are also unsigned, but to be honest, they scream "terrible contract"

It's baffling to think how much the Wall injury killed the Wizards. Like they are done for the next seven years minimum. Maybe baffling isn't the right word, more like tragic.

As one of the biggest proponents of The Curse, I would like to think it is over. But the truth is it still lingers. Major curses like that take at least two championships from two different teams to break.

Cherish that Stanley Cup people. Might not happen again for a very long time.

I think the "curse" equals to horrible ownership history for our teams when it comes to who they pet run their franchise. 

Abe Pollin:

John Nash

Wes Unseld

MJ

Ernie

Snyder:

Vinny Cerrrato ×2 combined with himself 

Bruce Allen plus the 5 other supposed decision makers

We're never going to win anything with idiots like this making moves.

Edited by spjunkies

24 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

The closest, by far, are the Nationals. And I am down on their chances this year.

I don't care about the Nationals, as you know, but yeah kinda seems their window is closing if it hasn't already closed. They are DC's team so I guess it goes with the territory. Can't be much worse than the Orioles so you have that advantage!

3 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I don't care about the Nationals, as you know, but yeah kinda seems their window is closing if it hasn't already closed. They are DC's team so I guess it goes with the territory. Can't be much worse than the Orioles so you have that advantage!

Point is, it'll be several years before a DC team stiffs a title. Redskins and Wizards are mismanaged mess, the Caps are suffering a hangover and repeats are extremely rare: since the Oilers last cup in 1988 (end of the "Dynasty Era" 20 cups were won by 5 teams), there have been just 3 back-to-back champions:Pens 2x and Detroit.

Nats could surprise, but I've come to expect disappointment.