Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-Curse D.C. Sports Thread

Sticksboi05

I don't think the Nats window is closing. Teams with a good front office are always in the hunt and we have some talented young players to replace the Harper void and last I checked we still have Scherzer, Strasburg, Rendon, Turner etc.

Wiz and Skins are obviously nowhere close. The Wall injury will devastate the Wiz for the next 5+ years.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think the Nats window is closing. Teams with a good front office are always in the hunt and we have some talented young players to replace the Harper void and last I checked we still have Scherzer, Strasburg, Rendon, Turner etc.

Wiz and Skins are obviously nowhere close. The Wall injury will devastate the Wiz for the next 5+ years.

I don't believe in "windows" either, I think Soto, Robles, Kieboom the Greater, Luis Garcia are the next wave. My problem with the Nats this year is the bullpen. I hate it. Way, way too many walk. Rosenthal is coming off TJ, Barraclough walks everyone, Rosenthal has a high walk rate too. It could be another meltdown pen waiting to happen.

Long term, the Nats have developed no pitchers since Tanner Roark. The only good pitching prospect they had is now the #7 prospect per BA in Jesus Luzardo (granted we needed Doolittle and Madson at the time)

Edited by Riggo#44

• 4 weeks later...

Today is just another reminder of how awesome Alex Ovechkin is. Always wanted to be here, signed a lifetime contract and never considered leaving despite being the scapegoat for lack of playoff success. And then to bring over half a million in pure joy on Constitution Ave...

I don't hate Bryce for his decision, we'd all take $330M in a heartbeat. But oh well, hope he succeeds in Philly otherwise they will turn on him FAST. And I look forward to the day when The Great 8 gets his statue and perhaps someone on this year's Nationals roster who leads up to the NLCS or more.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Today is just another reminder of how awesome Alex Ovechkin is. Always wanted to be here, signed a lifetime contract and never considered leaving despite being the scapegoat for lack of playoff success. And then to bring over half a million in pure joy on Constitution Ave...

I don't hate Bryce for his decision, we'd all take $330M in a heartbeat. But oh well, hope he succeeds in Philly otherwise they will turn on him FAST. And I look forward to the day when The Great 8 gets his statue and perhaps someone on this year's Nationals roster who leads up to the NLCS or more.

I was going to like your comment until I saw that you "hope he succeeds in Philly". Why? That wouldn't help the Nats...

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Ovie is the God King of DC Sports. We'll never get another athlete that good that stays here in our lifetimes.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

I was going to like your comment until I saw that you "hope he succeeds in Philly". Why? That wouldn't help the Nats...

One of those things where you can't use voice influx on the Internet. I meant it as "oh well dude, hope you do well, cause otherwiiiiise, you're ****ed" not literally I hope you do well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I have a red Scherzer, I may do Zimm or maybe Soto

Ya, Zimm is like Mr. National at this point, why i waited instead of jus going all in with the Harper jersey.  Ryan is pretty much done, but to me its like getting a throwback jersey of someone who hasn't retired yet, all respect.  Soto could very easily do to us what Harper jus did, it's too early to tell.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Isn't much to get amped about these days since the Caps lost last week. Tried baseball but Nats bad. I just work late, go home, and nothing's on TV. Don't want to watch basketball, hockey's dead to me because Caps lost, baseball isn't on, Nats are losing every game now, just nothing until August man. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Isn't much to get amped about these days since the Caps lost last week. Tried baseball but Nats bad. I just work late, go home, and nothing's on TV. Don't want to watch basketball, hockey's dead to me because Caps lost, baseball isn't on, Nats are losing every game now, just nothing until August man. 

I though the Caps losing quickly in the first round would make things easier for me -- and for a while it did. But watching the no talent Islanders and Canes

bumble and stumble their way through the second round has just caused my pain to resurface. What a botched opportunity to be sure. 

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

I though the Caps losing quickly in the first round would make things easier for me -- and for a while it did. But watching the no talent Islanders and Canes

bumble and stumble their way through the second round has just caused my pain to resurface. What a botched opportunity to be sure. 

Looking back at my now 45+ years of Skins fandom, one of the toughest losses as a fan was when the Bears beat us at RFK in the playoffs following the 1984 season. We had just gone to back to back Super Bowls, and you kind of just assumed that was going to be the case again. Of course I don't think we would've been able to beat the 49ers (eventual champions) in the NFCCG game that year. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Looking back at my now 45+ years of Skins fandom, one of the toughest losses as a fan was when the Bears beat us at RFK in the playoffs following the 1984 season. We had just gone to back to back Super Bowls, and you kind of just assumed that was going to be the case again. Of course I don't think we would've been able to beat the 49ers (eventual champions) in the NFCCG game that year. 

Wasn't that the only home playoff game that Gibbs ever lost?

31 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Wasn't that the only home playoff game that Gibbs ever lost?

It was. Allen won his only two RFK playoff games, both in '72. Looking back, the fact that we lost to an up-and-coming Bears team that ripped through the league the next season kind of eases the sting a bit.

Meanwhile, the Skins are 1-2 in home playoff games in the 22-season history of FedEx. Its hard to believe that the Redskins have not hosted a divisional round playoff game in Landover. Will they ever?

Just now, hail2skins said:

It was. Allen won his only two RFK playoff games, both in '72. Looking back, the fact that we lost to an up-and-coming Bears team that ripped through the league the next season kind of eases the sting a bit.

Meanwhile, the Skins are 1-2 in home playoff games in the 22-season history of FedEx. Its hard to believe that the Redskins have not hosted a divisional round playoff game in Landover. Will they ever?

If they are truly moving in the next 5 years, I'll say that they will end their stay in FedEx without hosting a divisional round game. I could see one more bubble-up year in that timeframe where we maybe host a game in the wildcard round (at best) or play all our games on the road. But I don't see a scenario in that window where we'll be a 1/2 seed...

28 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

If they are truly moving in the next 5 years, I'll say that they will end their stay in FedEx without hosting a divisional round game. I could see one more bubble-up year in that timeframe where we maybe host a game in the wildcard round (at best) or play all our games on the road. But I don't see a scenario in that window where we'll be a 1/2 seed...

Completely depends on whether Haskins is a legit QB and their decision on Gruden's future. I can very easily see a scenario where Haskins struggles a bit as a rookie, they fire Gruden and bring in some hot young offensive guru to "develop" Haskins, and that coach is in over his head or otherwise can't develop Haskins because Haskins just doesn't have it. In fact, not only can I see that scenario, I actually think it's more likely than not. And in that scenario, Skins are probably ****ed for a minimum of 5-6 years. 

On the flipside, Skins have the makings of a good young D and a decent OLine. If Haskins is like top-15 QB good, they can add some weapons around him, I could see the Skins improving to 11-12 win territory in the next 2-3 years. But that's a much less likely scenario.