Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-Curse D.C. Sports Thread

Sticksboi05

It's not just winning the titles, it's how these titles have been won for our teams ...

Capitals

– clinched all four series on the road

– won an NHL record 10 road games in a  single playoff run

– second team to win the Stanley Cup after trailing in every round

– went through the 2-time defending champion Penguins, the best team in the league Tampa Bay and the Golden Knights who advanced to the Final faster than any team since the dynasty Edmonton Oilers

– trailed in Game 5 with 8 minutes left and came back to win

Nationals

– 5-0 in elimination games, coming from behind to win them all

– Only team to win 4 road games in the World Series

– Went through the juggernaut Dodgers and juggernaut Astros

– Trailed in 7th inning of Game 7 and came back to win

I mean, this is INCREDIBLE stuff.

• Thanks 6

Despite no "ownership" of these recent titles, it's fun to be so close to it. My personal dry spell isn't snapped, but it's nice that DC is clearly not a city of losing anymore (and now it's more than just a one-off run by one team). 

I really cannot wait until either the O's or Skins wins something...hahahahahhahahaha. Someone just promise to replace my Depends when that time comes. 

• Like 2

The fact that this happened - after such a long hiatus of no baseball in the District and with the product being so characteristically wretched for 7 years after returning - is a miracle. The fact that a sizeable number of powerful people did everything they could to keep this from happening, by moving two franchises and barring a new franchise from representing this area for 33 terrible, long seasons - makes this a miracle.  

Saturday's parade with be as cathartic as it will be joyus, I'm sure of it. I've waited my entire life for it. My father's waited his entire life for it. My grandfather, were he still with us, would have basically said the same thing (he was 3 when the Senators won it all in '24).  This curse, at least in my mind, is over. I lived to see this and as dramatic as it sounds, I mean it with every fiber of my being: I can die happy. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Pick6 said:

Did anyone see the Caps celebrating last night like they just won the Cup? So fun to see. Also, if you have Instagram and follow John Carlson, he has posted a better video.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/video/watch-alex-ovechkin-celebrate-washington-nationals-world-series-title

I think they want another one. 🙂

So  I was thinking Caps win Stanley Cup, Nats win World Series.   DC teams with a nickname that has the pattern *a*s (where * is a single character) have won championships.   So maybe if the Redskins change their name to the Radskins and so they could be nicknamed the "Rads" so they would have a chance of winning a championship.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 7:40 PM, DCSaints_fan said:

So  I was thinking Caps win Stanley Cup, Nats win World Series.   DC teams with a nickname that has the pattern *a*s (where * is a single character) have won championships.   So maybe if the Redskins change their name to the Radskins and so they could be nicknamed the "Rads" so they would have a chance of winning a championship.

Going corporate and appealing to the youth... I like it.

image.png.12639e834f8e7b087f684c231ade5844.png

Happy for the Nationals. I still really don't care about them, mainly because the sport of baseball is pretty lame, but I can't deny the magnitude 

of their accomplishment. Congratulations.

Caps winning their first Cup, however, was personal for me, almost like having some family member do something amazing -- a son getting into Harvard, an

uncle winning a Nobel Prize, something like. Comes from following and suffering with the team since their genesis in the 1970s. 

28 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Happy for the Nationals. I still really don't care about them, mainly because the sport of baseball is pretty lame, but I can't deny the magnitude 

of their accomplishment. Congratulations.

I'll feel this way should the Wizards ever do anything. I am pulling for them to get good, fast, because it will be more embarrassment for Snyder.

• 1 month later...

Some more stuff to wrap up the decade of redemption.

- The Nationals won 879 games in the 2010s, 4th most in baseball, behind only the Dodgers, Yankees and Cardinals. They won 36 more games than the next best NL East team.

- The Capitals won 465 games in the 2010s, most in the NHL and third-most in any decade in NHL history.

• 5 weeks later...

Ovechkin is on pace for 59 goals at age 34, which would be most ever at that age. If he keeps himself in shape he could legitimately make a run at Gretzky's all-time record.

I think he'll come up short but again, as long as he stays in shape I think he'll end up second all-time. He's 110 away.  If he has another 50 goal season next year it's almost a definite he gets to #2.

I try not to take #8 for granted, he is one of the best athletes of this era in any sport.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Curse was broken two years ago. What a night.

And a year later, a World Series on top.

NEVER saw it coming.

It was actually broken by my co ed volleyball team which won its league championship about an hour and a half before the Caps officially won the Cup. :D

But in seriousness, June 7th 2020 is one of the biggest days in DC sports history. The day the curse was broken, and the day the DC sports goat finally hoisted a championship.

• Like 1

COVID-19 I thought would rain on our World Series parade. I thought it was the last gasp effort by the DC Curse to crap on our happiness. But really, it's the opposite. The real beauty of a championship is being able to rub it in other people's faces. And we get to do it for another whole year (assuming baseball is cancelled this year, and given what a raging dip**** Manfried is, it's highly probably).

Washington Nationals, your 2019-20 World Series Champions.

• 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

So uh…..we cursed again? Caps suddenly can’t win, wizards sucking after a 10-3 start to season, nats (if they have a season) probably won’t be good….and commanders…well….nuff said there 😂

The Commanders and Wizards are cursed...with inept management.

The Caps are at the end of their contender window. They had a decade+ stretch of consistent winning. It sucks to have only won one cup, really should have won at least one more if not two or three, but I don't know if there's been a more consistently successful team since 2008 than the Caps. Think we only missed the playoffs once in that stretch.

Same with the Nats. Not as long a stretch as the Caps but from 2012-2019 I believe they had the best record in the NL and it culminated in a World Series win. They're rebuilding now but that doesn't make them cursed. With Rizzo still at the helm I'd expect the team to contend again by 2024 at the latest.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

We are cursed once again with the Wizards lottery pick and the demise of the Capitals. There is no light in this land. It is time to make a ritual sacrifice.  

Not sure this is a sign of a curse.

Wizards were thr #11 seed and ended up with #10, that's fine, we don't deserve the #1 pick.

Caps reign wasn't indefinite, but they did get a ring at least during the Ovi era.

Curses don't jus turn back, we need some time to see if we are all stuck again.  In context that Mystics look like best team in WNBA, and could end up with two rings in the Della-Donne era jus like that.