Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-Curse D.C. Sports Thread

Sticksboi05

The Curse is over, it's dead, it's irrelevant. Time to move on and have only good vibes.

We have one of the best pitchers ever on his way to a 3rd straight Cy Young, we have a dynamic duo in the back court who are trying their best despite Ernie Grunfeld's incompetence, the Redskins are still a mediocre franchise but we no longer go into seasons praying to get to 6 wins, and the city FINALLY HAS A CHAMPION!

June 7, 1978

image.png.50063b99278ca1d6dd164438e0ff3788.png

June 7, 2018

image.png.886ea4c4a35e00701d99624561e709c6.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Even a worm will turn.  And blind squirrels find acorns from time to time.  And a broken clock is right twice a day.  The early bird catches the worm.  A penny saved is a penny earned. 

I don't know what I'm saying, bottom line, the Redskins are due.

Point of clarification though, the Curse o' Les Boulez predates the DC Sports Curse and is still alive and well.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Point of clarification though, the Curse o' Les Boulez predates the DC Sports Curse and is still alive and well.

Yep. If there is truly a curse it resides with that team. What a pathetic franchise. 

After last night, we can put the best D.C. athlete ever conversation to bed. It's Ovechkin. Nobody has been more dominant at a time when there was actually legitimate talent in their respective league (sorry Walter Johnson and Sammy Baugh).

With a championship and playoff MVP to go along with 3 season MVPs, 7 goal scoring titles, 3 most outdistancing player awards, get ready for a statue outside of MCI Center.

Also unlike other contemporary stars, Ovechkin has never threatened to leave or held that over the franchise, never thrown teammates under the bus to the media, and has taken the brunt of criticism and quite frankly xenophobia from the Canadian hockey media.

Last night just cemented his amazing legacy in this town.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

After last night, we can put the best D.C. athlete ever conversation to bed. It's Ovechkin. Nobody has been more dominant at a time when there was actually legitimate talent in their respective league (sorry Walter Johnson and Sammy Baugh).

With a championship and playoff MVP to go along with 3 season MVPs, 7 goal scoring titles, 3 most outdistancing player awards, get ready for a statue outside of MCI Center.

Also unlike other contemporary stars, Ovechkin has never threatened to leave or held that over the franchise, never thrown teammates under the bus to the media, and has taken the brunt of criticism and quite frankly xenophobia from the Canadian hockey media.

Are you Kevin Sheehan? lol I agree with you on Ovechkin's greatness and I'm not a big hockey fan.

9 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Well said. Henceforth, let the arena on F street be called "The House that Ovi Built."

Nats have a team that could win it anytime they feel like getting over the hump. 

Redskins *should* have a squad capable of winning 10-11 games this year imo. Pending health, the defense should be stacked. Pending health and living up to potential, there are some weapons on offense. All I’m saying is I wouldn’t count them out this year, and that’s better than we’ve been able to say a lot of other years. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

It's almost better that they won in Vegas.  It allowed our building to be 100 percent Caps FANS.  No Vegas fans.  No corporate d-bags.  Just fans.

Plus now we get to see what will be a LEGENDARY afterparty for Ovie.

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Maybe Ted will have an aha moment about EG now that he changed one long time GM and it led to a championship. 

What's worse is...McPhee is/was WAAAAAAY better than Grunfeld ever was. He built most of this team that won the Cup and just built up an expansion team that made the Finals in year one. I watched Joe B interview GMGM last night and he was really classy about it all, I actually kinda felt bad for him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Scr*w the Skins, Bullets and Gnats. I only care about the Caps!

Let's leave that kind of sentiment out of here. We need to be a city that supports all of our teams - that'w how the big boys do it. Doesn't mean each one is passionate for you, but it's the "Washington" that matters.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Plus now we get to see what will be a LEGENDARY afterparty for Ovie.

What's worse is...McPhee is/was WAAAAAAY better than Grunfeld ever was. He built most of this team that won the Cup and just built up an expansion team that made the Finals in year one. I watched Joe B interview GMGM last night and he was really classy about it all, I actually kinda felt bad for him.

He traded Forsberg for a bag of pucks. That's like writing the greatest book in the world, and forgetting to give it a title. Just not good enough. 

Edited by Mournblade

10 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

It's almost better that they won in Vegas.  It allowed our building to be 100 percent Caps FANS.  No Vegas fans.  No corporate d-bags.  Just fans.

Eh, the reason they sold so many tickets was because non-fans just wanted to be a part of an event.  A lot of people I work with went, or were outside on F street and they couldn't name one player other than Ovechkin.  

Just now, Sticksboi05 said:

Let's leave that kind of sentiment out of here. We need to be a city that supports all of our teams - that'w how the big boys do it. Doesn't mean each one is passionate for you, but it's the "Washington" that matters.

(Shrugs) Fine. But right now is the CAPS moment, not the other teams. They need to go out there and earn it. 

Just now, MarkB452 said:

Given that the Bullets and Caps both secured championship on June 7 (40 years apart), I propose that June 7th be designated as Champions Day in DC and everybody gets the day off.  :)  

Awesome idea!

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Eh, the reason they sold so many tickets was because non-fans just wanted to be a part of an event.  A lot of people I work with went, or were outside on F street and they couldn't name one player other than Ovechkin.  

Does it matter? I'm new to hockey (basically watch the Caps in the playoffs over the past 4-5 years) and I'm enjoying it. I don't claim to "own" the championship like I would if the Redskins or Orioles won something, but I'm allowed to revel in it. You would think that fans would want the teams they love to gain popularity and reach that "pop culture" status that spans beyond the guys who watch hockey in November. 

• Like 3