Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-Curse D.C. Sports Thread

Sticksboi05

24 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Eh, the reason they sold so many tickets was because non-fans just wanted to be a part of an event.  A lot of people I work with went, or were outside on F street and they couldn't name one player other than Ovechkin.  

Doesn't matter. Our city. Our championship.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Does it matter? I'm new to hockey (basically watch the Caps in the playoffs over the past 4-5 years) and I'm enjoying it. I don't claim to "own" the championship like I would if the Redskins or Orioles won something, but I'm allowed to revel in it. You would think that fans would want the teams they love to gain popularity and reach that "pop culture" status that spans beyond the guys who watch hockey in November. 

Kilmer said COA was filled with Caps FANS.  It wasn't.  I didn't say people aren't allowed to enjoy it, I think it's awesome and hopefully those people stick with it.  It's a great thing for the entire city.  But, in my opinion, it would have been nice for the people that have lived and died with the team for a lot of years to have been able to get in the building for the last game like they did for games 1 and 2.  So in that respect, yes, I think it matters somewhat.

20 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Kilmer said COA was filled with Caps FANS.  It wasn't.  I didn't say people aren't allowed to enjoy it, I think it's awesome and hopefully those people stick with it.  It's a great thing for the entire city.  But, in my opinion, it would have been nice for the people that have lived and died with the team for a lot of years to have been able to get in the building for the last game like they did for games 1 and 2.  So in that respect, yes, I think it matters somewhat.

How do you do that? How do you keep a rich "kind of" fan from buying a ticket? Quiz them on Caps history at point-of-sale? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

How do you do that? How do you keep a rich "kind of" fan from buying a ticket? Quiz them on Caps history at point-of-sale? 

"Welcome to Ticketmaster.  To enter the queue, please enter the name of the Capitals beloved fourth line center."  :ols:

It could work!

• Haha 1

Just now, SkinsHokieFan said:

It’ll be fun this October when Nats Park will be filled with fans who believe. What a weight lifted off this city

Such an amazing night downtown last night. 

Or imagine the Skins going on the road with an injury-depleted team and building a 15-point lead in New Orleans. It'll be nice to know that our fans will finally trust the offense to play keep-away and the defense to come up with just one key stop! 

Oh. I guess not everything will change overnight. 

• Like 1

I have no issue whatsoever with people jumping on the bandwagon. That's what happens in winning towns. You think every single person at the Eagles or Astros championship parades were die hards? Die hards make up a tiny portion of any fanbase.

It doesn't take anything away from MY experience and enjoyment.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I have no issue whatsoever with people jumping on the bandwagon. That's what happens in winning towns. You think every single person at the Eagles or Astros championship parades were die hards? Die hards make up a tiny portion of any fanbase.

It doesn't take anything away from MY experience and enjoyment.

That's how I'll feel when/if the Skins win again. Bring on the bandwagon fans...I know what every game over the past 35 years has done to me, and I know inside that it's going to feel so much sweeter to me than to many. 

With the Caps...these past couple weeks has been exciting to me but personally it'll die down pretty quickly. I am happy it happened and even I feel a sense of euphoria given all the second-round exits. But I haven't put blood, sweat, and tears into following this team and I do have some level of jealousy that MY favorite DC team didn't break the curse. 

It also doesn't take away from the excitement permeating this city. I am a bandwagoner, I watched with bemused skepticism until Kuzy scored in OT against the Pens. That was the dam breaking. That was not only the Caps, but the whole city, shaking the monkey off our collective backs, and beating it senseless (Jerky Boys reference).

This will mean so, so much more to the die hard who watch every game. It does not diminish my excitement and happiness for them, the Caps, or the city. Every DC sports fan should revel in this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MarkB452 said:

Given that the Bullets and Caps both secured championship on June 7 (40 years apart), I propose that June 7th be designated as Champions Day in DC and everybody gets the day off.  :)  

And we'll need the day after off as well. Please and thank you!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

And we'll need the day after off as well. Please and thank you!

..maybe somehow merge this with emancipation day......1978 broke a title drought from 1942 and 2018 broke a tile drought from 1991....oddly enough both of those were Redskins titles.

1 minute ago, MarkB452 said:

..maybe somehow merge this with emancipation day......1978 broke a title drought from 1942 and 2018 broke a tile drought from 1991....oddly enough both of those were Redskins titles.

1942 until 1978 is 36 years - so after the 36-year drought was broken, we won another NFL title just 4 years later. 

1991 until 2018 is 27 years - since that's 75% of the drought, we should win the NFL title in 3 years (2021). 

You're welcome. 

The curse would have given Vegas a goal in the final 4 seconds.  FWIW, that's what the "Clock malfunction" gave them.  At 1:49 face off, until the 28.6 second icing call, 1 minute and 25 seconds elapsed.  So the game was extended 3.6 seconds.

But the curse is dead.  

• Like 4

Nats are next. They lived and died with the Caps so they’ll definitely get a boost for this. Plus they’re just really good

The other two joke franchises don’t need to be mentioned. You aren’t sniffing glory without a competent FO and both have amongst the worst in the entirety of professional sports 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Does it matter? I'm new to hockey (basically watch the Caps in the playoffs over the past 4-5 years) and I'm enjoying it. I don't claim to "own" the championship like I would if the Redskins or Orioles won something, but I'm allowed to revel in it. You would think that fans would want the teams they love to gain popularity and reach that "pop culture" status that spans beyond the guys who watch hockey in November. 

Back when the Big 3 Miami thing first started, some people would get extra chatty/chesty at games, or any time I wore a shirt, hat, etc out in public. You want those salty tears. You want "How long have you been a ______ fan? Are you even from ______ ?" That means your team has reached a level where few  have gone. No one asks me how long I've been a Skins fan. Usually the reaction is like if I told them my dog just got run over by a cement mixer. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Why???

You just won a title. Why do this to yourself not even 24 hrs later? :(

Not a Caps fan.  Or rather, not a hockey fan.  But I'm riding the wave of good feelings.

All ya'll sleeping on the Redskins.  We've got an offensive line.  Got a running back.  Finna have a defense.  We're going on a Super Bowl run, this year or next.

Also, everyone is laughing at the Wizards now won't be laughing when LeBron says he's taking his talents to DC.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Not a Caps fan.  Or rather, not a hockey fan.  But I'm riding the wave of good feelings.

All ya'll sleeping on the Redskins.  We've got an offensive line.  Got a running back.  Finna have a defense.  We're going on a Super Bowl run, this year or next.

Also, everyone is laughing at the Wizards now won't be laughing when LeBron says he's taking his talents to DC.

We all need to rally around McQueen here. The comedown is gonna be brutal.

All jokes aside, I'm not a hockey fan either. Happy for everyone else though

Edited by Mr. Sinister

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Nats are next. They lived and died with the Caps so they’ll definitely get a boost for this. Plus they’re just really good

The other two joke franchises don’t need to be mentioned. You aren’t sniffing glory without a competent FO and both have amongst the worst in the entirety of professional sports 

Nats are the logical choice. As I said in the Nats thread, now that the Caps won I think this will actually help the Nats performance in the playoffs, particularly in home playoff games where they've sucked. A big weight has been lifted off every team in this city's shoulders and you won't have any negative, angsty fan energy at Nats Park in October.

The Skins...well in fairness we have drafted well recently and football is swingy enough that bottom dwellers can make runs and become great, so its possible, but highly unlikely. Just to compare, Leonsis and Snyder both bought the Caps and Skins, respectively, in 1999. Look how differently the franchises are run and the differing success.

Wizards have no chance because of the nature of the NBA, unless Durant decides to finish his career at home and win his hometown team a ring, but by then he'll be older and past his prime.