Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

26 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not worried about who gets paid and when or any of that. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

We've seen what the bridge looks like with another certain player that I won't mention. It ain't pretty, I'll constantly be nervous about contract talks with that debacle we experienced. 

34 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We've seen what the bridge looks like with another certain player that I won't mention. It ain't pretty, I'll constantly be nervous about contract talks with that debacle we experienced. 

Cousins aside, we've done a pretty good job in recent years extending guys before they hit FA. See: Jordan Reed, Morgan Moses, Chris Thompson to name a few.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Our 3rd best Dlineman will have 12 sacks and get a truckload of money from someone else. 

Payne? He’s a FA in 2023 lol. Our QB may be on a rookie contract by then.

Don’t say Matt because he’s the best out of the three and deserves big money from us.

Its l about guaranteed money. Show the love. Guaranteed money can be invested. You don't need to take out an insurance policy on guaranteed money. 

Its so easy to show respect your good drafted players. Just do the signing. 

I am really enjoying this defense as is right now, contract stuff is boring. 

I would definitely resign Ioannidis. Forgetting Payne and Allen, when was the last time we had as good a defensive lineman? Ioannidis is not easily replaceable. 

I am just catching up on watching the games. Watched the Carolina game today. We have a great front 7 for controlling the run. We don't have a great pass rushing front 7. The Giants game was deceptive I think. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks

We are tied for 10th in the league in sacks. Tied with 4 other teams. You could as easily say we are tied for 15th.  And, 7 of our sacks came in one game, against one terrible OL and one QB that is terrible at avoiding pressure. Our DT's are very good at applying pressure up the middle. The team as a whole though is only slightly above average at pressuring opposing QB's.  I still think we need to add another pass rusher across from Kerrigan. At least, if we want a defense of the caliber of the recent Denver/Seattle defenses, we need to keep adding pieces.  I would love a dominant speed rusher across from Kerrigan. Could Dee ford be had for a pick?

If we are going to win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith, we are going to need an elite defense, and it shouldn't be too expensive to keep upgrade the OL depth a little bit and add a WR that can turn a short gain into a long one. 

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Cousins aside, we've done a pretty good job in recent years extending guys before they hit FA. See: Jordan Reed, Morgan Moses, Chris Thompson to name a few.

Can't argue with you there, tough to focus on the good after that circus we've been through but this is a good point. 

7 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I would definitely resign Ioannidis. Forgetting Payne and Allen, when was the last time we had as good a defensive lineman? Ioannidis is not easily replaceable. 

I am just catching up on watching the games. Watched the Carolina game today. We have a great front 7 for controlling the run. We don't have a great pass rushing front 7. The Giants game was deceptive I think. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks

We are tied for 10th in the league in sacks. Tied with 4 other teams. You could as easily say we are tied for 15th.  And, 7 of our sacks came in one game, against one terrible OL and one QB that is terrible at avoiding pressure. Our DT's are very good at applying pressure up the middle. The team as a whole though is only slightly above average at pressuring opposing QB's.  I still think we need to add another pass rusher across from Kerrigan. At least, if we want a defense of the caliber of the recent Denver/Seattle defenses, we need to keep adding pieces.  I would love a dominant speed rusher across from Kerrigan. Could Dee ford be had for a pick?

If we are going to win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith, we are going to need an elite defense, and it shouldn't be too expensive to keep upgrade the OL depth a little bit and add a WR that can turn a short gain into a long one. 

There is some merit in what you’re saying, but you forget one very important thing: every team on that list besides Pittsburgh and Detroit has played an extra game. I’d be willing to bet that after everyone has their bye, we’ll be in the top 10 for sacks, maybe top 5, if this defense keeps growing. 

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think it's actually an NFL rule instituted that anytime the Redskins have a good defense, they must have a crappy offense, and whenever they have a good offense, they must have a crappy defense. They can never have them both good at the same time. That rule has been in effect I believe for decades.

Maintaining a dominant unit is expensive.  Every other team is in a similar boat.  Realistically, you need about 18 good players to play top notch defense (8 linemen, 4 linebackers, and 6 DBs).  You need like 14 to play top notch offense (6 OL, 3 backfield, 5 WR/TEs).  That's 32 good players to play both top offense and defense at the same time.  And that's not considering injury depth, just rotation depth.  Everyone loses a bunch of rotation players to injury every season.  You have to crush your draft picks every year to fill out your rotations with rookie contracts to have a dominant offense and defense at the same time.  Nobody drafts well every class, not even New England.

26 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

you mean.... 

He's been warming up, but 4.5 sacks in 7 games is not impressive for an OLB in 2018. That said, I think Kerrigan has been fine, just not great. Preston Smith has been very underwhelming. Zero sacks in 7 games? Come on. That just isn't getting it done. They need more pass rushing production out of that spot. I think if we let him walk and play Anderson, we lose very little. I would love a major investment in a pass rusher. That could make the whole defense nearly elite. 

Not since the days of Mann, Manley and Butz have we had a defensive line capable of dictating the flow of a game.   We now have that.  

If you pressure a QB in his face early and often without blitzing...AND...you consistently stop the run...your team will win a lot of football games.  We now have that.

...we just turning on the stove folks...

11 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I would love a dominant speed rusher across from Kerrigan. Could Dee ford be had for a pick?

He's a young stud on a great team, no chance that the Chiefs would even pick up the phone.

5 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

He's been warming up, but 4.5 sacks in 7 games is not impressive for an OLB in 2018. That said, I think Kerrigan has been fine, just not great. Preston Smith has been very underwhelming. Zero sacks in 7 games? Come on. That just isn't getting it done. They need more pass rushing production out of that spot. I think if we let him walk and play Anderson, we lose very little. I would love a major investment in a pass rusher. That could make the whole defense nearly elite. 

Preston has generated a ton of pressure. He has been collapsing the pocket allowing others to clean up. Fortunately, for contract negotiations, that isn't reflected on the stat sheet.

@clskinsfan The DJ/PFF thing is hilarious. 

Archived