Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

13 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Hmm.. One heavy investment on defense in the off season? Not sure we have been watching the same games - they had one bad game, NO. Outside they have been dominating. Even against the Colts the D played well enough to win, easily. The offense was garbage. 

Here are some quick numbers: 5th in total yds - 7th in pts/gm - 3rd in rushing yds/gm - 14th in passing yds - mostly due to people just not being able to run. That all includes the NO debacle. If you take that one out, the results are:  pts/gm - 2nd with 15.6 - total yds 0 total yds 2nd with 298.6 yds/gm. 

But again even leaving the NO game in, they care doing very well. Yes, they could probably use another edge rusher and CB. But major investment? Not at all. 

Need to use those resources on offense. Need WRs, TE, and Oline. And they really should be looking a QB, if not this draft on the next. And I say that no matter what Alex does. I believe he will improve. But even if he does they need to start working on the QB of the long term future. 

The other thing to remember is that we've got 2 rookies, a 2nd year, and a 3rd year player dominating the time on that line.  This isn't the cap of their abilities.  You could argue that they haven't even touched their prime yet and that they're going to continue to just get better.  

31 teams would like to add a Khalil Mack type... problem is that they're not that easy to find.  I'm in your camp with the idea that we don't need some 'MAJOR' addition to this defense to make it truly dominant.  I'm absolutely with you on the edge / CB conversation...we could use some help there, but I don't think a 'heavy' investment is necessary. 

4 hours ago, Audible_Red40 said:

Because of the mention of Vita Vea....

Random D-Line NFL fact of the day, only because I love to try and say it....

Vita Vea's real given name is:

Tevita Tuliʻakiʻono Tuipulotu Mosese Vaʻhae Fehoko Faletau Vea

That's all I got.

If I were him I would demand that the NFL puts that on the back of my jersey. 

Keep an eye on the 5th round.

Skins have a recent history of comin up pretty good in that particular late round. (in relation to the DL, we grabbed great DT's in 2 of the last three 5th rounds.

This is what we've had in the 5th, over the past 8 years :

2018 Tim Settle

2017 Jeremy Sprinkle

2016 Matt Ioannidis

2015 Martrell Spaight

2014 Ryan Grant

2013 Chris Thompson

2014 Adam Gettis

2013 Niles Paul

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

Redskins ranked statistically as the #1 defense in the NFL:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

I'd say points matter more than yards. But still, 7th in pts per game... and that includes the NO debacle. Almost half way through the season and I'm convinced that this is no fluke, it's a legit top-10 D.

14 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Sooner or later they are going to have to let Anderson play, in his breakdowns Cooley has said Anderson has been playing well this season, he gave him an A grade vs the Panthers and that was on only 11 plays.

We just want to make sure he's fully healthy and fresh for when Smith leaves via FA 

Remember Smith had a pretty good day Sunday too. All he did was score the winning TD ;)

On 10/23/2018 at 8:00 AM, RandyHolt said:

Anyone that watched the Giants game last night knows we need to pressure Eli. Sure their play calling was suspect (trying to lose on purpose to get a top draft pick next year to draft a QB duh), but man Eli's throws were off anytime there was pressure.

It's no secret pressure makes QBs wilt, and I think a helmet on his chin early is a key to victory.  Of course head shots are illegal, as is leaning on a QB with full body weight, so I may need to rethink my favorite expression.  Let's gently nudge him early on and try to get him to check out.

Yeah, I mentioned in the prediction thread that I’d like to see them send 5, 6, or even 7 regularly.  Stack the line, change up who rushes, make Eli start seeing ghosts.  Sure, we’ll likely get burned a bit, but 1) we throw Eli off his game (whatever game that is), and 2) we’ve crowded the LOS to deal with Barkley.  I’ll also add that it would be totally unexpected to see from Manusky.  Can’t imagine the Giants would be prepped to handle that consistently.  

43 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Sooner or later they are going to have to let Anderson play, in his breakdowns Cooley has said Anderson has been playing well this season, he gave him an A grade vs the Panthers and that was on only 11 plays.

This is extra kudos because Cooley has been very low on Anderson since he was drafted.

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't live in the DC area. So I'm curious ; is Cooley usually pretty accurate in his assessments ?

I don't think he's any more or less accurate in his pre draft projections of prospects than most other ex players/coaches/GMs turned analysts. But he is very good at evaluating guys once they enter the league with his postgame film reviews.

5 hours ago, CTskin said:

I'd say points matter more than yards. But still, 7th in pts per game... and that includes the NO debacle. Almost half way through the season and I'm convinced that this is no fluke, it's a legit top-10 D.

I'm holding out until after the game on Sunday.  If we can bottle up the Ewok and then Barkley on back to back games, I think we're on to something.  

58 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm holding out until after the game on Sunday.  If we can bottle up the Ewok and then Barkley on back to back games, I think we're on to something.  

Dallas ranks third in rushing offense.  And I could be wrong but the Panthers were higher than that when we faced them.  But I'm not sure.

Just now, Vanguard said:

Dallas ranks third in rushing offense.  And I could be wrong but the Panthers were higher than that when we faced them.  But I'm not sure.

And we stomped them both. Now we face an awful Oline and an antique statue of a QB. Another monkey about to come off our backs.

13 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

I think they want to give Smith all the snaps possible to prove his worth or he is gone next year.  Anderson will be a stud, he is still learning the game in the pros.

35 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I just watched Alabama highlights for Anderson and SDH and it makes me pretty excited. 

Wonder if we can get Tomlinson from the gnats. 

Why would they get rid of him, and why would we want him? It's not like he would be filling a hole we have.

Just now, Morneblade said:

Why would they get rid of him, and why would we want him? It's not like he would be filling a hole we have.

Who's our true NT? McGee? Why'd the dump snacks for a 5th? It's a fire sale, so who knows. 

It was mostly said in jest because of the Alabama Wall stuff, but go on with yourself.

Archived