Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

1 hour ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

My only issue is how long can we keep these guys together?? I don't know is Smith is in our plans for the future but would hope Ioannidis is, he's just an absolute beast whose never gonna get the kinda credit he deserves, maybe come contract time. He's gonna be expensive the way he's playing..

Payne 4 more years, Allen 3 more years left on there rookie contracts. Loannidis 1 I think after this year, good GM's would be signing Loannidis to a new deal NOW. 

HTTR 

Can you imagine what offensive coordinators are saying about the Redskins' run defense this year compared to past years?  The run defense has behaved maliciously towards all RBs!!! ?

For the most part, teams' running games have not been a viable option.  The Redskins' very young DL deserves most of the credit for the predicament offenses have found themselves, which is virtually without a running game. :809:

51 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Payne 4 more years, Allen 3 more years left on there rookie contracts. Loannidis 1 I think after this year, good GM's would be signing Loannidis to a new deal NOW. 

HTTR 

They might met him go and ride with Settle even if they don't play the same position.

Our DL is great.

But still, LOL at Manning standing in the pocket as it collapses, accepts his fate and just lowers his head and hopes for the best. Once a QB loses faith in his OL, its easy to see. I think our DBs get some credit on what I will suggest were some coverage sacks.

More impressive than sacking statue of liberty Manning is our work done against the leagues elite RBs.  Fantastic. Who knew beefing up the line is one way to build a football team?  Us fans knew.

37 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

They might met him go and ride with Settle even if they don't play the same position.

That would not be wise....Re-sign him today. These guys don't grow on trees. We need to keep our draft picks in our house rather than have to deal with them as opponents. 

anyone know how team stats on nfl.com and espn.com are calculated?  when looking at box scores and adding up runs & yards for all players I'm coming up with 192 rushes for 561 yards (2.92 per carry).  ESPN has 4.0 carry (132 for 524) and NFL.com has 3.8 ypc (146 for 561).

This is also pretty insane:

Combined 120 carries for 239 yards (1.99 ypc) for Barkley, Zeke, McCaffery, Mack, Johnson, Kamara, Ingram

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

That would not be wise....Re-sign him today. These guys don't grow on trees. We need to keep our draft picks in our house rather than have to deal with them as opponents. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of faith in the wisdom of this FO. I hope they prove me wrong.

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Settle is unproven at this point. Would  be a terrible decision to let a homegrown talent like ion  leave. Hopefully, the front office get it right when the time comes.

As far as how to move forward with this group, resigning smith is going to be a tough decision.  And I think the smart thing is to let him walk.  

Preston is a valuable contributor to the front seven, but he is more of a cog than a leader.  You could make the case he is the fifth or sixth most valuable player in the front seven.  He will also command a hefty contract, I'm guessing 5 yrs 60+ mil.  Decent guaranteed money.  Spending that on him may lead to an inability to extend ion, Allen, and Payne when they become eligible, and I would prioritize extending them asap over signing smith.

But maybe we can create space thru other moves ie cutting Reed, and we can justify spending that on Preston for the sake of continuity and allowing us to use draft picks for other needs.  Will be interesting to see how they handle it.

My bet is Preston walks for a contract that we feel is too much.

5 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

As far as how to move forward with this group, resigning smith is going to be a tough decision.  And I think the smart thing is to let him walk.  

Preston is a valuable contributor to the front seven, but he is more of a cog than a leader.  You could make the case he is the fifth or sixth most valuable player in the front seven.  He will also command a hefty contract, I'm guessing 5 yrs 60+ mil.  Decent guaranteed money.  Spending that on him may lead to an inability to extend ion, Allen, and Payne when they become eligible, and I would prioritize extending them asap over signing smith.

But maybe we can create space thru other moves ie cutting Reed, and we can justify spending that on Preston for the sake of continuity and allowing us to use draft picks for other needs.  Will be interesting to see how they handle it.

My bet is Preston walks for a contract that we feel is too much.

It depends. I mean yeah, if some team offers 5/60, I let him walk. But how likely is that if he continues to have this kind of season where he plays well but doesn't get the big numbers? We may be able to bring him back cheap, even maybe on another 1 year deal.

Either way, I'd look to draft an explosive edge pass rusher in the next draft. That could really put this D over the top.

21 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Man, Ioannidas at 5.5 sacks so far, on pace for 11 or 12.  I think he’s gonna he hard to re-sign.  

The skins needs to be aggressiveness this off-season with ion.  His fourth year on rookie contract is peanuts, so offer him five years 60 mil 30 gtd. Somewhere in that neighborhood.  That is probably on the high end,  can probably ink him for less, but I would go that high to keep him a skin.  He is that valuable imo

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

It depends. I mean yeah, if some team offers 5/60, I let him walk. But how likely is that if he continues to have this kind of season where he plays well but doesn't get the big numbers? We may be able to bring him back cheap, even maybe on another 1 year deal.

Either way, I'd look to draft an explosive edge pass rusher in the next draft. That could really put this D over the top.

Agreed on both counts.  I don't see him settling for a one year deal, but skins could get him on an affordable multi year deal even if it short term.  Other teams may see his success as a product of our front seven which his gaining respect.  I would love to see that.

And with kerrigan getting older, Anderson not being a pass rushing force, and losing gallettes pass rush off the bench, I would be all for drafting a edge rusher in first three rounds.  I just hope the skins are able to also walk out of the draft with a plug and play LG without having to reach, but if they can do that and get a pass rushing olb, I will be doing back flips.

43 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

Settle is unproven at this point. Would  be a terrible decision to let a homegrown talent like ion  leave. Hopefully, the front office get it right when the time comes.

Not that I disagree here, but our FO is generally stupid cheap when it comes to this.

3 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Not that I disagree here, but our FO is generally stupid cheap when it comes to this.

I kind of agree but can think of instances where this regime possibly even overpaid a bit to keep their own.Morgan Moses,T.Williams,and Kerrigan being examples.

51 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

I kind of agree but can think of instances where this regime possibly even overpaid a bit to keep their own.Morgan Moses,T.Williams,and Kerrigan being examples.

And Reed.  Re-sign Io and you don’t need to really think about the position for 2-3 years.  Which is huge as we’re seeing what a stout dline brings.  

I’ll tell you what else would be huge (in terms of the near future of the front 7) - Anderson and Dion-Hamilton paying off.  

Archived