Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

18 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

With Hood being released, is it possible that our top-4 DL will be: 

Matt Ioannidis

Daron Payne

Jonathon Allen

Tim Settle

It still amazes me that just a couple years after trotting out Cowboy and Giant retreads along our DL, we now have a young, fully homegrown rotation who is living up to (or exceeding) draft status. 

Amazing what happens when you invest in something like this!

I have not seen or heard from Settle since the regular season began. Has he even played a snap yet? I just checked  his stat line (blank,) but has he even been active yet? I really like this kid.

1 minute ago, bowhunter said:

I have not seen or heard from Settle since the regular season began. Has he even played a snap yet? I just checked  his stat line (blank,) but has he even been active yet? I really like this kid.

He’s been the 5th active DL, but they’ve relied heavily on Allen and Payne and mostly just subbed Ioannidas in.  Hood got some snaps, but it’s been all about the above 3.  I have to say though, I’d have put him in late in the games that weren’t close - Arizona, and NO especially.  Gotta give the young guys snaps whenever you can (SDH is another I’d have shuffled in when games are all but decided).  

32 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I agree with this.  It’s a trade off I’d be happy with - a much improved rush D for 10ish fewer sacks.  

To be honest though, I think our rush D hasn’t faced much of a stiff test... team’s seem to get away from the run as they have less respect for our corners and backers in coverage.  If the D limits Elliot, I’ll likely change my tune. If they get away from the run because Prescott has a field day, well, I’ll still probably be in wait and see mode.  

We've been able to only rush 3 or 4 guys most of the games which has really helped, but the next two weeks I think we have to sell out to the run and make Dak and Eli try and beat us, which should allow a lot of potential turnover opportunities. 

I just dont want to see us do what we do. If they decide to forget tackling and just try forcing fumbles again, were going to lose.

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We've been able to only rush 3 or 4 guys most of the games which has really helped, but the next two weeks I think we have to sell out to the run and make Dak and Eli try and beat us, which should allow a lot of potential turnover opportunities. 

I just dont want to see us do what we do. If they decide to forget tackling and just try forcing fumbles again, were going to lose.

We should take the exact template we did vs Carolina and do the same vs Dallas.. and take the exact template vs Arizona and do it against NYG

Really think we should sign Galette.  The addition of a speed rush change up  while rushing 4 in passing situations would be a great help IMO.  

I know he made some poor decisions, but I don’t recall him bad mouthing the team or anything.  Sign him for a year or two (incentives in year 2 would satisfy both parties, as we could always cut him after year 1) and see what next year’s draft brings.  

18 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Really think we should sign Galette.  The addition of a speed rush change up  while rushing 4 in passing situations would be a great help IMO.  

I know he made some poor decisions, but I don’t recall him bad mouthing the team or anything.  Sign him for a year or two (incentives in year 2 would satisfy both parties, as we could always cut him after year 1) and see what next year’s draft brings.  

I think "Slave labor" qualifies as bad mouthing the team.

3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I think "Slave labor" qualifies as bad mouthing the team.

Yeah, that was right at the top of my ‘poor decisions list, lol.  If you go through the implications, he’s saying some damning things about the FO, true.  On the surface though (which is likely how he meant it), he was complaining about being lowballed... which guys do all the time.

As Allen is known as a guy who likes to lowball guys, I could see that maybe sticking in his craw (though he should probably have laughed it off and said “yep!”).  

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, that was right at the top of my ‘poor decisions list, lol.  If you go through the implications, he’s saying some damning things about the FO, true.  On the surface though (which is likely how he meant it), he was complaining about being lowballed... which guys do all the time.

As Allen is known as a guy who likes to lowball guys, I could see that maybe sticking in his craw (though he should probably have laughed it off and said “yep!”).  

I guess is the irony is I actually don't think Allen really low balled Galette badly. It wasn't princely, but he was a guy that was coming off 2 Achilles ruptures and when healthy, was ok. Galette was looking for a big payday and didn't get anything. And I agree it was a poor decision, it was also bad mouthing the team IMO.

I wanted to comment on the sack numbers. I'm watching the Carolina game and I see at least two plays that should be called sacks that were not, one was a hit behind the lines by Brown, then there was a hit behind the line by Smith. Both were big plays that led to the pic by Norman, so they definitely had an impact, but i wish they called them sacks. 

5 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I wanted to comment on the sack numbers. I'm watching the Carolina game and I see at least two plays that should be called sacks that were not, one was a hit behind the lines by Brown, then there was a hit behind the line by Smith. Both were big plays that led to the pic by Norman, so they definitely had an impact, but i wish they called them sacks.  

Were they option runs though?  They won't give you a sack for bringing down the QB behind the line if a run was part of the play design.

Not that it really matters.  A hit behind the line is a hit behind the line.  They're all drive killers.

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Were they option runs though?  They won't give you a sack for bringing down the QB behind the line if a run was part of the play design.

Not that it really matters.  A hit behind the line is a hit behind the line.  They're all drive killers.

Yeah, but it did impress me, thinking about how well we played against Cam, especially in the first half. 

Dak isn't Cam, but I think we can adopt a similar game plan tomorrow

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Crazy the amount of philosophical changes set to take place in the NFL today and moving forward. 

I agree with this 100%. Truly about situational football these days. 

Yep.

There have already been so many shootouts this season.

Fantasy football scoring seems off the chart as well. Scoring 130+ points is not an exception anymore but a rule now as so many offensive players are scoring a bunch.

Defensive players seem worried about doing their job now, for fear of being flagged, fined, or even ejected.

Many DBs are afraid to lay hits on pass catchers now. DL are worried about sacking a QB the wrong way and are letting up.

Definitely a different game now.

How about them big boys up front? Payne and Allen brought a lunch pail today and did all the dirty work clogging those run lanes. Allen got himself a sack and a key holding penalty. And how about Kerrigan? 2 sacks and a forced fumble in a division game? 

I think this is by far the best defensive front we’ve had. Definitely the best I’ve seen from us in my 28 years on earth. 

1 minute ago, Rskins91 said:

How about them big boys up front? Payne and Allen brought a lunch pail today and did all the dirty work clogging those run lanes. Allen got himself a sack and a key holding penalty. And how about Kerrigan? 2 sacks and a forced fumble in a division game? 

I think this is by far the best defensive front we’ve had. Definitely the best I’ve seen from us in my 28 years on earth. 

I always like the lunch pail reference.

Payne and Allen balled out.  Matt has really slowed down.  Preston Smith made an appearance.  And what more can you say about Ryan Kerrigan.

Allen is a beast, Payne is growing up before our eyes. He's a difference maker in the run game. Those two are dominating the point of attack. They also make plays down field.. really happy with them. 

Anderson had some splash plays today too. A few pressures.

Them bama boys showing out for the team.

Archived