Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: DeAngelo Hall Retiring

NickyJ

Perhaps the most surprising thing was what a great "team" player he was for the Redskins. He came to Washington with a reputation for being very much a selfish and immature player. He certainly failed to live up to that. Instead, he taught the younger players, switched positions, and did everything he could for the benefit of the team. He was even one of ambassadors in player recruitment.

Something to ponder:

DeAngelo Hall and Namdi Asomugha go to the Raiders. Asomugha for a couple years looks like THE elite CB as people debate who is better - him or Revis. DHall doesn't fit the Raiders system and people say he was overhyped/ a bust. DHall signs with Skins and has several good years, including one where he may have been the best CB in football...despite having Hazhit as DC. Namdi goes to his second team for a monster contract with the Eagles...and sucks bigtime.

One of my favorite Redskins ever.

Such a shame ending his career with injuries. If he could’ve snagged at least one more pro bowl and a few more interceptions, we are talking a Hall of Fame career. He has the record for most interceptions in a game, and he has a ton of defensive TDs.

Definitely a ring of honor candidate at the very least imo.

Good luck DHall. I expect to see you around on Comcast or on the sideline as a coach.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Perhaps the most surprising thing was what a great "team" player he was for the Redskins. He came to Washington with a reputation for being very much a selfish and immature player. He certainly failed to live up to that. Instead, he taught the younger players, switched positions, and did everything he could for the benefit of the team. He was even one of ambassadors in player recruitment.

To be fair, Hall did have some moments of being selfish and immature. He got an ejection, had a few unnecessary penalties thrown his way for unsportsmanlike conducts at bad times. Then there was the bench fight with the Falcons that actually made Albert Haynesworth not look like the wimp he was. He definitely matured over time, though.

DHall had a solid career and earned a well deserved rep as a guy that created turnovers.

Hall grew into a team leader and respected veteran but only after going through years as being justifiably labeled as a selfish player who often put himself above the team.

Many also forget that Hall was the beneficiary of one of the worst contracts in NFL history for a CB that he got after being traded to the Raiders.  His time with the Raiders was a total disaster for which Hall wound up getting 8 million for only 8 games of terrible play.

Hall then came to the Skins for the remainder of the season in what was basically a half season tryout and played well.  Still it was a shock to most to see the Skins give Hall another huge contract based on his audition.

Hall had some solid seasons with the Skins but his play overall or impact on the defense as a unit didn't live up to his huge contract.  His value to the team, endearing himself to fans and stepping up as a leader only came into focus after he signed for much more reasonable money in his later seasons.  All of this also came after Hall's interactions with Richard Sherman where he bragged about his bank account and when Darrell Green eventually stepped in to stop the foolish back and forth.  Hall referenced this himself when asked about his changed attitude and said "I already made my money"

As for Hall being inducted in the Ring of Fame the answer should clearly be no --- In 9 1/2 seasons with the Skins Hall definitely had some memorable games and exciting plays but ultimately made 0 All Pro Teams, only 1 Pro Bowl and was never part of a Skins team that won even a single playoff game.  

Hall does not deserve to be in the distinguished Ring of Fame but has a great chance of making it especially if he stays with the team in a management role as he is a known favorite of Bruce Allen which alone will likely will get him in...

If there's one guy on the roster going into this offseason whose age I could reverse back to 20 years old and watch their career begin from scratch again, but on our current roster...it might be DHall. Many would say Trent Williams, or Alex Smith. Those are great options and probably more logical. But a prime, freakishly athletic DeAngelo Hall slotted into this young secondary we're putting together would be a damn sight to behold. He was one of the most exciting DB's in the league through the first 10 years of his career, and a really underrated Redskin due to his Atlanta/Oakland reputation and his last few injury-plagued years imo. 

35 minutes ago, Rocky52Mc said:

I remember Shawn Springs ruining a great potential interception by Hall as he was picking off the entire NFC East.

Its insane that Hall played for us for so long that he overlapped a year with Springs. I thought for sure you had to be incorrect about this until I looked it up--yup, 2008. I know he was injured the last few years, so they barely "count", but getting almost 10 years from a FA signing like this is impressive. He really became a core Redskin. 

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

Chic Henandez spoke about the maturation he developed here. Nice to see a player grow as a Man. Hope to see him join Our staff with Torrian Gray.

3 hours ago, jadams5214 said:

DHall had a solid career and earned a well deserved rep as a guy that created turnovers.

Hall grew into a team leader and respected veteran but only after going through years as being justifiably labeled as a selfish player who often put himself above the team.

Many also forget that Hall was the beneficiary of one of the worst contracts in NFL history for a CB that he got after being traded to the Raiders.  His time with the Raiders was a total disaster for which Hall wound up getting 8 million for only 8 games of terrible play.

Hall then came to the Skins for the remainder of the season in what was basically a half season tryout and played well.  Still it was a shock to most to see the Skins give Hall another huge contract based on his audition.

Hall had some solid seasons with the Skins but his play overall or impact on the defense as a unit didn't live up to his huge contract.  His value to the team, endearing himself to fans and stepping up as a leader only came into focus after he signed for much more reasonable money in his later seasons.  All of this also came after Hall's interactions with Richard Sherman where he bragged about his bank account and when Darrell Green eventually stepped in to stop the foolish back and forth.  Hall referenced this himself when asked about his changed attitude and said "I already made my money"

As for Hall being inducted in the Ring of Fame the answer should clearly be no --- In 9 1/2 seasons with the Skins Hall definitely had some memorable games and exciting plays but ultimately made 0 All Pro Teams, only 1 Pro Bowl and was never part of a Skins team that won even a single playoff game.  

Hall does not deserve to be in the distinguished Ring of Fame but has a great chance of making it especially if he stays with the team in a management role as he is a known favorite of Bruce Allen which alone will likely will get him in...

Strongly disagree... Hall is better than a number of guys already in that ring. I think he is basically equivalent to Santana. Moss was the beneficiary of being on the team during a slightly better run so he was able to make more lasting plays in the memory of fans (and of course, he was also a WR which creates more "highlight" plays). I consider them both to be top notch Redskins at the very top of the list of the best players to play here since the Gibbs I era. I also think Hall was a better player than someone like Ken Harvey. 

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Uh...anyone just see the teams tweet? Apparently he hasn’t officially decided to retire yet, despite sources today? Maybe he’s going to wait until a press conference later this week to make it OFFICIALLY official? 

Yeah wait, what? I keep forgetting Schefter isn’t “Football Jesus”...

1 hour ago, redrobert said:

Yeah wait, what? I keep forgetting Schefter isn’t “Football Jesus”...

Keim reported it earlier as well, and got pretty salty about the team's tweet, saying Hall personally told him "I'm done playing, that's for damn sure". 

Keim's point is it doesn't really matter whether he files the official paperwork or not, he's done. Some guys don't actually file the papers for years. 

4 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Keim reported it earlier as well, and got pretty salty about the team's tweet, saying Hall personally told him "I'm done playing, that's for damn sure". 

Keim's point is it doesn't really matter whether he files the official paperwork or not, he's done. Some guys don't actually file the papers for years. 

Here is an NFL.com where Hall says he is "95% sure" he is done with football.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000932682/article/deangelo-hall-95-percent-sure-hes-done-with-football

I don't mean to be a downer in his tribute thread but I don't understand the love here.  I was a big fan of the signing at the time but sorry, either at corner or safety did he ever put together a really good season in Washington? Sure he had his moments but did anyone around the league ever consider Hall a top player?  Maybe in Atlanta but surely not when he was here.  And now people are mentioning Ring of Fame and more productive than Ken Harvey?  Wow.  Could not disagree more.

10 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Uh...anyone just see the teams tweet? Apparently he hasn’t officially decided to retire yet, despite sources today? Maybe he’s going to wait until a press conference later this week to make it OFFICIALLY official? 

Negociating a position within the Redskins' organization ?:ph34r::P

11 hours ago, kleese said:

Strongly disagree... Hall is better than a number of guys already in that ring. I think he is basically equivalent to Santana. Moss was the beneficiary of being on the team during a slightly better run so he was able to make more lasting plays in the memory of fans (and of course, he was also a WR which creates more "highlight" plays). I consider them both to be top notch Redskins at the very top of the list of the best players to play here since the Gibbs I era. I also think Hall was a better player than someone like Ken Harvey. 

To me comparing other guys that were borderline at best qualified to make Ring of Fame but got in isn't a ringing endorsement to add Hall to that list.  And using the qualifier of "since the Gibbs era" just lessens the quality of the Ring of Fame as a whole in my opinion.  So what's next?  Does Kirk Cousins get in because he had a couple great statistical seasons and helped make a bad team decent for a couple years which is a great accomplishment when compared to the 20 years of QB's before him?

Harvey had a really productive first 4 years piling up sacks and forcing turnovers while also making 4 consecutive Pro Bowls.  Also surprised he got in after such a short time with Skins.

Moss  is a good comparison  as both he and Hall played nearly 10 years with the team and had the rep of being selfish, not great teammates but became team leaders later in career.

Both had a few highly productive years that led to only one Pro Bowl and little overall team success.

To me neither guy had enough consistently great production or made enough impact on their side of the ball to overcome the lack of team success during their time to warrant induction along so many truly great players.

As I said it's a mute point as Hall will surely get in either way as long as Bruce Allen is around.

There have been a few guys throughout the years that loved the Redskins and loved being a Redskin.  DHall is one of those guys.  For me, it's easy to be a fan of guys like that, even as age catches up with them and their skills start to decline.  He'll always be one of my favorite players from this era and I'll miss seeing his fire and passion for the Redskins on the field.  Good luck DHall and HTTR!

Archived