What to do at LG?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What should Skins do at LG?

• In Kouandjio we trust
    • Move Ty Nsekhe
    • Find Vet to compete with Kouandjio- best man wins
    • Our starting LG is not currently on the roster

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2018 at 04:55 PM

10 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

It's hard for me to argue that.  I do think we have quite a few question marks, but if things break right we could make a push.  A couple things break right, a couple surprise teams fall off the map, and we absolutely could be right in the conversation.  Like I said, if there is a guy out there in his 1st or 2nd contract who looks like a fit, is still young, and we're confident can be had for the long term.... lets rock and roll.  

I agree with you but believe there is no team without question marks. LG is a huge deficiency on this team as opposed to a ?Sometimes it does come down to things breaking your way.Good coaching,team character and staying somewhat healthy are critical. I like the make up of this team overall as well as the coaching staff. Hopefully,they will have a few less injury issues this year.

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I totally agree. Kinda my point. If he was within a couple spots of us, I'd have gone up for him, but he went too early to do that and we did the best thing possible. Slid back, got our RB and added to the line anyway. Awesome. 

I agree. If a player is on the bubble and a good starter and a 4rth round pick is going to pry him loose, do it. 

I love our first 3 picks and commend our FO for the job they did. I'm stoked we got Guise and a T. Thats pretty amazing. 

Yeah, I'm pretty excited that we're loaded with picks for this next draft. We're definitely going to keep loading up the lines. I really like what we've started building. 

Oyd is one year deal and I'm not saying give up a 1-3 rounder, but we've got a heck of a team and I don't see how we're not "1 player away" from being in the mix. There's a ton of what ifs, but if we stay healthy, we're pretty ****ing loaded.

Really like the first two picks and think it was a very solid draft overall.The only pick I really didn’t care for was the third rounder,believe he was a reach.Hopefully, I am wrong.

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Oyd is one year deal and I'm not saying give up a 1-3 rounder, but we've got a heck of a team and I don't see how we're not "1 player away" from being in the mix. There's a ton of what ifs, but if we stay healthy, we're pretty ****ing loaded.

I'm with ya, I've been very happy with this team over the last 24 months.  There obviously have been some big time scratch marks and scars that haven't completely healed yet... but it would appear that the foundation is beginning to take shape.  You can see a positive direction.  A couple more plus moves, and we're going to remain competitive.  

1 hour ago, Tarpon75 said:

I am not saying  that they needed to use a second round pick. It’s just hard to believe that there was no one out there in rounds  three through seven that would not have possibly been a better option at guard than what the team has on the roster, or that their isn’t a possible move to be made that at least could solidify the position.So tired of seeing the middle of the pocket collapsed and not getting a push in short yardage situations.  How many times have we seen the running back hit in the back field? Doesn’t matter who you have at  running back is if there’s nowhere to run.

I was addressing the thought of trading up in the 2nd for Hernandez.   As another poster illustrated very well the way the guards came off the board it seemed like any pick would have been a reach and I didn't want them to pass better players just to take a guard.  But yeah I share your disappointment.  

3 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

Who the heck is Oyd?  Is that an acronym for something?

One year deal

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I was addressing the thought of trading up in the 2nd for Hernandez.   As another poster illustrated very well the way the guards came off the board it seemed like any pick would have been a reach and I didn't want them to pass better players just to take a guard.  But yeah I share your disappointment.  

I don't think there's a person on this board who would have been disappointed if we drafted Hernandez. The cost was just too much, so so be it. 

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:28 PM, Koolblue13 said:

One year deal

I don't think there's a person on this board who would have been disappointed if we drafted Hernandez. The cost was just too much, so so be it. 

I would have loved to have Hernandez. But given the choice of Guice or Hernandez straight up I'm taking the 2nd rated RB to finally fill a position of need that we have had for a long long time.  You can always find a guard, an impact RB will have more of an effect this year and behond.  When you factor in we got a swing tackle as well and would have taken more picks to move up for Hernandez I am very very happy they did what they did. 

On 6/2/2018 at 1:11 PM, NickyJ said:

Ster Oyd is a fascinating LG. He's a boom or bust type player, but lots of linemen love him.

Yep - Sterling Oyd, LG.

I found film from last year and he was really good until his season ended when he tore a pectoral muscle, herniated a disc and ruptured his meniscus all on the same play. Coming into the league as a tight end he sat most of his rookie season, but was converted to LG following an offseason weight gain from 265 to 325. 

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I just searched "Sterling Oyd" and only found a 60 year old in Indiana.  Who is this guy and have we signed him?

Ster is the son of Hemmor. Hemmor was big, but had the reputation of being a real pain in the ass.

On 02/06/2018 at 1:11 PM, NickyJ said:

Ster Oyd is a fascinating LG. He's a boom or bust type player, but lots of linemen love him.

Just too many side effects to having him on your roster.I’m pretty sure he has been banned from the league anyway.

On 6/2/2018 at 12:57 PM, Master Blaster said:

I don’t understand the constant argument of what should have happened. It didn’t. The players on the team are the players on the team. 

Let’s roll on 

I'm not happy, but I'm there now, too.  My concern is defenses will be so vanilla that we may only see a team try to really attack who ever the starter is in the 3rd preseason game or start of the regular season. By then it may be too late to get a starter from somewhere else, but we need to get some pads on already.

On 6/4/2018 at 8:47 AM, MassSkinsFan said:

Yep - Sterling Oyd, LG.

I found film from last year and he was really good until his season ended when he tore a pectoral muscle, herniated a disc and ruptured his meniscus all on the same play. Coming into the league as a tight end he sat most of his rookie season, but was converted to LG following an offseason weight gain from 265 to 325. 

GD, did he eat one of his teammates?  If so, perfect, I like that attitude, sign him up.

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, oraphus said:

OG Sweezy was just released... i know he played RG but I'd be down to bring him on on a one year vet min deal to play LG and to show he can stay healthy. worth a flier 

Wasn't he the DT convert for the Seahawks? I thought he was awful? Could be thinking of someone else

3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Wasn't he the DT convert for the Seahawks? I thought he was awful? Could be thinking of someone else

Seems more of an injury issue. Was out with a back problem all of 2016 then played 14 solid games last year before breaking his leg. We would be his 3rd team in 3 yrs. Not saying they shouldn't. 

If they can get him cheap I could see bringing him in to compete in camp. Need 90 anyway. Someone like him might even make the team. 

I am hopeing The incognito thing is a joke ... but Sweezy ... the Seahawks I think are a zone blocking team and have been forever .. been injured for a while and both the Seahawks and bucs lines have been dreadful - not sure he is an upgrade ... 

1 hour ago, bird_1972 said:

I think we should hold out for other roster cuts as offseason progresses. I'm sure there will be someone released who is better than Lavau

Here's to hoping that happens, and we get them. Because we need serious help there.

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I had read that Sweezy signed with Carolina but apparently that's not the case. There's no guarantee a better one will be available, I'd sure take a chance on him.  

I'm not sure that Sweezy fits the mold. Isn't he more of an athletic smaller guy? In the right scheme, he might be worth an explore, but I really don't think he'd be an upgrade over Lauvao (yes, it was hard even typing that!)

Archived