What to do at LG?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What should Skins do at LG?

• In Kouandjio we trust
    • Move Ty Nsekhe
    • Find Vet to compete with Kouandjio- best man wins
    • Our starting LG is not currently on the roster

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2018 at 04:55 PM

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

It would be great if that is true, I hope the coaches have reason to feel that bullish.  The OL got beat up so bad last year it is hard or me a guy that watched games but didn't study game films to know if Chase was an upgrade and is adequate, I hope you are right.  We'll see this fall how he is doing.

One of the big differences between Chase and the other guys who played C last year is how well he positions himself, especially in the open field. Chase has the ability to consistently insert himself between the ball and his defensive target. This is a really important skill which can be taught, but he has an innate talent at it. One of the reasons I say he's The Scherff's Mini Me is that The Scherff is great at that too. 

If you're interested in a film breakdown I'd suggest looking at last year's games. Watch the offensive plays and begin by following The Scherff. Watch how he gets in position and how he senses opponents and fluidly shifts focus as stunts develop or run plays unfold. Once you're used to seeing that, go back and focus on whoever plays center. Compare how they look to what you're used to seeing The Scherff do. When I do that, Roullier looks a lot like The Scherff, and the other guys don't.

I know that won't change your mind, but at least now you know why I'm bullish on Roullier. Also it's fun to watch film. :cheers:

Hail.

5 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

One of the big differences between Chase and the other guys who played C last year is how well he positions himself, especially in the open field. Chase has the ability to consistently insert himself between the ball and his defensive target. This is a really important skill which can be taught, but he has an innate talent at it. One of the reasons I say he's The Scherff's Mini Me is that The Scherff is great at that too. 

If you're interested in a film breakdown I'd suggest looking at last year's games. Watch the offensive plays and begin by following The Scherff. Watch how he gets in position and how he senses opponents and fluidly shifts focus as stunts develop or run plays unfold. Once you're used to seeing that, go back and focus on whoever plays center. Compare how they look to what you're used to seeing The Scherff do. When I do that, Roullier looks a lot like The Scherff, and the other guys don't.

I know that won't change your mind, but at least now you know why I'm bullish on Roullier. Also it's fun to watch film. :cheers:

Hail.

What an outstanding post!!  Excellent breakdown!  Thanks for posting!  

20 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

The Skins were free to trade down if they wished to use their 1st and 2nd rounds most effectively on improving the center of the line but they chose to address the DL and RB position instead of the interior of the OL which I think has been ineffective for years.  Another thing, I do not subscribe to the BPA school of thought, I believe in accomplishing objectives instead.  In my view the primary objective in this draft should have been upgrading the OL to help the Alex Smith led Skins to run more effectively in short yardage and near the goal to help Alex succeed.  I don't expect the Skins to be able to be better than a .500 team but I think if the offense was more balanced and the Skins played .500 ball the trade would viewed as successful and the team could work on improving the defense and the record in 2019.

How do we know they DIDN'T try to trade back?  In fact, they DID trade back in the 2nd round, and still got a player of need that you reference.  It's a strategic ven diagram.  1 circle is BPA, 2nd circle is team need, 3rd circle is player available at pick.  Wherever those intersect, you pick your player.  Daron Payne at 13 fit the bill.  Darius Guice in the 2nd round fit the bill.  You know what else that's been ineffective for years?  D-line and RB.  Alfred Morris was obviously a product of the system which was further enhanced by RG3.  I love Alf, but we haven't had a cornerstone RB since Portis.. 

As far as upgrading the O-line.  4 of the 5 starters along the O-line were drafted by us.  2 of which are pro-bowlers, and our RT is viewed as a top tier talent at his position.  Are we done yet?  Nope.  But looking at the draft, the guy to take over at LG just wasn't there when it was our turn to pick, without us making a MAJOR reach and passing up on players that can literally change our team.  I don't understand why (at least it's coming across this way) you continue to view this draft as a failure, when a LOT of things have to happen in order for the right player, for the right team, at the right time takes place.  It's not just as easy as a video game.  There are 31 other executives that control their picks, so the trading down isn't just as easy as a phone call.  Drafting the LG for the foreseeable future is not as easy as picking the next highest rated guard.  

As far as us not being better than a .500 team... you may be right.  But you gotta be able to stop the run, as well as run the ball.  Neither of which we did well last year after Allen went down, and both needed addressing.  We can't expect to completely turn around our team with EVERY draft.  It's not that easy.  We addressed pieces of both needs.  Guice would appear to be a major upgrade to what we've had carrying the ball, which can HELP the deficiencies of the LG position, but not cure it.  I'd imagine we will address it, but it's got to make sense for the entire team... not just be a knee jerk reaction like picking up a 'higher' rated G on madden from the free agency pool.  

20 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Hail.

We have a Pro Bowl RG and a new center who played well last year. Why on Earth didn't they just run behind their right guard on short yardage? 

7 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

We have a Pro Bowl RG and a new center who played well last year. Why on Earth didn't they just run behind their right guard on short yardage? 

We did.  In fact the play vs the Saints was to the Right side.  There was even a hole and Teo filled it... thus stopping us short.  What made it worse is that was the side we had less bodies on.  

They need to re-sign Scherff now. I understand that they can wait until after this year to enjoy his 6.7M cap hit for this year .. but waiting until he is do 12.5M next year seems like Kirk Cousins all over again. 

The franchise tag for an O lineman for 2018 is 14.077M so I assume that will only be higher if they cant reach a deal and choose to tag him after his 5th year option. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/05/2018-franchise-tag-values-set-with-release-of-cap-number/

His cost is going to greatly increase after this year, they need to get ahead of this now while they have some cap space. 

I love Scherff but it does not make financial sense to draft a guard top 5. If you do, re sign him like 3 years in to a modest deal to avoid what we could potentially be looking at. 

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

How do we know they DIDN'T try to trade back?  In fact, they DID trade back in the 2nd round, and still got a player of need that you reference.  It's a strategic ven diagram.  1 circle is BPA, 2nd circle is team need, 3rd circle is player available at pick.  Wherever those intersect, you pick your player.  Daron Payne at 13 fit the bill.  Darius Guice in the 2nd round fit the bill.  You know what else that's been ineffective for years?  D-line and RB.  Alfred Morris was obviously a product of the system which was further enhanced by RG3.  I love Alf, but we haven't had a cornerstone RB since Portis.. 

As far as upgrading the O-line.  4 of the 5 starters along the O-line were drafted by us.  2 of which are pro-bowlers, and our RT is viewed as a top tier talent at his position.  Are we done yet?  Nope.  But looking at the draft, the guy to take over at LG just wasn't there when it was our turn to pick, without us making a MAJOR reach and passing up on players that can literally change our team.  I don't understand why (at least it's coming across this way) you continue to view this draft as a failure, when a LOT of things have to happen in order for the right player, for the right team, at the right time takes place.  It's not just as easy as a video game.  There are 31 other executives that control their picks, so the trading down isn't just as easy as a phone call.  Drafting the LG for the foreseeable future is not as easy as picking the next highest rated guard.  

As far as us not being better than a .500 team... you may be right.  But you gotta be able to stop the run, as well as run the ball.  Neither of which we did well last year after Allen went down, and both needed addressing.  We can't expect to completely turn around our team with EVERY draft.  It's not that easy.  We addressed pieces of both needs.  Guice would appear to be a major upgrade to what we've had carrying the ball, which can HELP the deficiencies of the LG position, but not cure it.  I'd imagine we will address it, but it's got to make sense for the entire team... not just be a knee jerk reaction like picking up a 'higher' rated G on madden from the free agency pool.  

We have beat this topic to death and end up where we starting disagreeing and I don't care how many others on this board also disagree with me.  I believe the Skins should have fixed the interior of the OL last year and this year and failed to do and I fear the Skins will not be able to play what SM aptly described as "big boy football" in 2018 either unless the new RB can fly over the stuffed OL in front of him.

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Maybe they didn't run there because they planned for Long at C, who wasn't great at moving guys off the line.

I am not an expert at play calling or how to draw up plays. I'm ok at watching film and have a pretty good understanding of how OL works but that's about it. :ols:

That said, it looked to me like many of the running plays last year were complicated and needed time to unfold. Can any of you comment on that? I'd like to know if that's my imagination or has a basis in reality.

When you have the horses up front, there isn't a huge need for finesse so it would seem to me you'd want quick-hitting plays that looked really simple and straightforward. If you had success with running that style, you could then call those until the D began stopping them, then call plays that looked like that but had some additional twists to the blocking scheme that would take advantage of how the D is reacting (i.e. the successful adjustments they made to stop the simple run plays).

Hopefully our scheme this year includes some power runs and follow up plays (counter-punches to D adjustments). I think this could work really well for us on the right side.

PS: I might be old-fashioned but it seems to me your running game should begin with simple plays as the default and only get more complicated as Ds adjust. Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

We have beat this topic to death and end up where we starting disagreeing and I don't care how many others on this board also disagree with me.  I believe the Skins should have fixed the interior of the OL last year and this year and failed to do and I fear the Skins will not be able to play what SM aptly described as "big boy football" in 2018 either unless the new RB can fly over the stuffed OL in front of him.

Thats the thing, nobody disagrees with you.  We all agree that the LG needs to be fixed.   We just don't think you're route of just using a 1st and 2nd round pick on any interior Oline is what's best for the team.  That there's a bigger scheme at work, and that reaching for a LG at 13 when we can add arguably the best D-line (also a major need) talent in the draft is a mistake.  

4 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Thats the thing, nobody disagrees with you.  We all agree that the LG needs to be fixed.   We just don't think you're route of just using a 1st and 2nd round pick on any interior Oline is what's best for the team.  That there's a bigger scheme at work, and that reaching for a LG at 13 when we can add arguably the best D-line (also a major need) talent in the draft is a mistake.  

Exactly!

LG is still a concern. We hope this can be addressed but no one on ES has the solution at this point. The draft is over and we have what we have. However, 4 of 5 OL starters as of right now are really good players. I don't think we should panic about OL, even if we suffer through another season of Lauvao. The OL situation last year was completely bizarre. I can't see it being like that again in 2018. Really. I also think we're on the right trajectory OL-wise. 

As many others have posted here, we need to be looking now for a few more tackles in addition to a solution at LG. But finding a T right now isn't a priority, which is nice because it allows the team to develop the guys they have while looking for other successors.

I do honestly believe having Guice, and making some adjustments to the playbook and calls, will improve the OL's run blocking. I hope the team puts some focus on figuring out how to put teeth in our run game given the talent we have.

I want to know what position should have become the huge question mark if we sold out on guard.  As far as I can tell, we'd still have a huge issue on the interior defensive line (I don't care who falls to you at 5, you can't expect them to be the answer though you can hope) Running back would be am issue (Chris Thompson is our best but he is coming off injury and looks more like he deserves a 25 than a 44). It is not likely that a 3rd rounder at OL will contribute in a big way in year 1, tackle (especially of the swing type) is a huge need for us and the tackle available was obviously the highest rated by our talent team.

I guess you could argue that we should have figured out a way to keep KC thus keeping Fuller and our natural 3 but the KC ship had all but sailed at that point.  Maybe if we signed Hankins, Settle would have been sufficient (but then you would be assuming Settle fell), trade back (but then you are assuming a partner, the Chargers or the Titans) and pick Ragnow (though arguably Center is no where near the need LG is). Maybe there is a good reason we did not prefer Hankins over Payne?

This thread is basically everyone disagreeing with one posters plan thats "they shoulda done more no matter what", isn't it? Trying to explain that there wasn't a lot of options and poster with admittedly no plan doesn't care? 

Reminds me of the NT at any cost argument from two years ago, which we aggressively addressed the last two seasons. 

We drafted line twice in the first 3 rounds this year and used a first for 3 straight years. That looks like commitment to me. I wouldn't be surprised if we did it again next year too. 

We're still coming out of a talent deficiency that wasn't helped by a big trade that didn't work and a cap penalty. I think we're a much better team and younger than our last PO team. I'm sure even Bruce cheap ass would sign a LG if one presents itself soon. 

39 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This thread is basically everyone disagreeing with one posters plan thats "they shoulda done more no matter what", isn't it? Trying to explain that there wasn't a lot of options and poster with admittedly no plan doesn't care? 

Reminds me of the NT at any cost argument from two years ago, which we aggressively addressed the last two seasons. 

We drafted line twice in the first 3 rounds this year and used a first for 3 straight years. That looks like commitment to me. I wouldn't be surprised if we did it again next year too. 

We're still coming out of a talent deficiency that wasn't helped by a big trade that didn't work and a cap penalty. I think we're a much better team and younger than our last PO team. I'm sure even Bruce cheap ass would sign a LG if one presents itself soon. 

True speak.

I guess to answer the actual question and try to get back on track.... I personally think we need to try and be smart about this and not get excited and react.  I'd personally look for a possible cap casualty, or camp cut that has some playing experience.  Someone who may be aging a bit or just needs to be coached up.  Then I go hard in the draft next year looking to find the long term solution.  

A couple weeks ago, I would have been all in on Icognito as a bridge type player, but now I'd say that's no longer an option I would be ok with.  We don't need an all pro there RIGHT NOW, we just need someone better than Lauvao

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

True speak.

I guess to answer the actual question and try to get back on track.... I personally think we need to try and be smart about this and not get excited and react.  I'd personally look for a possible cap casualty, or camp cut that has some playing experience.  Someone who may be aging a bit or just needs to be coached up.  Then I go hard in the draft next year looking to find the long term solution.  

A couple weeks ago, I would have been all in on Icognito as a bridge type player, but now I'd say that's no longer an option I would be ok with.  We don't need an all pro there RIGHT NOW, we just need someone better than Lauvao

I'd throw a hefty oyd at someone and maybe a good pick at a team to pry one loose. It's the only glaring hole on this team and if we weren't looking to win a lot of games, Colt would be our QB. 

17 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

The Hogs have made some fans so obsessed with the OL they lose all touch with reality and common sense.  I mean we have that one poster insisted we should have spent the first two picks on the interior OL, ignoring the fact that they have a good young center already in place and those 2 picks filled bigger needs with highly rated players.   As you said they have invested plenty of high picks on the lines recently, including a 1st and 2 3rds on the OL. There are other positions that need to be filled.  

9 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

The Hogs have made some fans so obsessed with the OL they lose all touch with reality and common sense.  I mean we have that one poster insisted we should have spent out first two picks on the interior OL, ignoring the fact that they have a good young center already in place and those 2 picks filled bigger needs with highly rated players.   As you said they have invested plenty of high picks on the OL recently, there are other positions that need to be filled.  

I'd have seriously thought about moving up a little for Hernandez, but it wasn't close. Hate that the giants got him. He's a mauler. Thats about as high as I'd take a guard. 

I'd love to address the oline aggressively, but it didn't fall that way. Hell, we got really lucky to grab a 3rd round tackle. Thats awesome if he pans out and is our future. It means we've got 3/5ths of our future at oline already on the roster. Thats awesome. 

We just need a patchwork LG for this season and that's it. He's definitely not on the roster or we wouldn't have brought SL back. And the FO knows it. 

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd have seriously thought about moving up a little for Hernandez, but it wasn't close. Hate that the giants got him. He's a mauler. Thats about as high as I'd take a guard. 

I'd love to address the oline aggressively, but it didn't fall that way. Hell, we got really lucky to grab a 3rd round tackle. Thats awesome if he pans out and is our future. It means we've got 3/5ths of our future at oline already on the roster. Thats awesome. 

We just need a patchwork LG for this season and that's it. He's definitely not on the roster or we wouldn't have brought SL back. And the FO knows it. 

Agree on Hernandez, not happy at all that the Giants got him. But not only would it have costs us the 2nd rated RB in the draft and a good swing tackle the trade up necessary would have meant more picks spent.  

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The team has been patchwork at lg for too many seasons. If there is a non-crippling trade or move that can be made,why not?

2 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

The team has been patchwork at lg for too many seasons. If there is a non-crippling trade or move that can be made,why not?

RB was a bigger need and they used the pick that would have been necessary, plus more, to take the 2nd rated RB and a real difference maker.  Can't have both, happy they ended up with the RB.

15 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd throw a hefty oyd at someone and maybe a good pick at a team to pry one loose. It's the only glaring hole on this team and if we weren't looking to win a lot of games, Colt would be our QB. 

I don't know what a hefty oyd is, but I do agree with your point.  The only thing I DON'T want us to do is forfeit a long term asset for a 1 or 2 year rental.  One of the 'Way too early" mock drafts for next season has 5 offensive lineman going in the 1st round.... and the one that intrigues me the most is Michael Dieter out of Wisconsin.  He's listed as a LT and has the size for the outside (6'6" / 325) but from what I've seen he projects better as an interior O-line in the NFL.  One of the mocks has him going 31 overall to Philly, so he should be there when we pick.  If he's got the good and can go the way of Scherff, a mid first round pick for someone like him very well may be worth it.  

7 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

Because at this point, we're not a LG away from being in the superbowl.  If someone comes available for a 4th round pick who is under contract for 2 - 3 more years, or who we are confident we can re-sign... absolutely kick the tires.  What I really don't want to see us do is give up an upper half draft pick in order to bring someone in who's going into their contract season, just to see them sign elsewhere.  

17 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

RB was a bigger need and they used the pick that would have been necessary, plus more, to take the 2nd rated RB and a real difference maker.  Can't have both, happy they ended up with the RB.

I am not saying  that they needed to use a second round pick. It’s just hard to believe that there was no one out there in rounds  three through seven that would not have possibly been a better option at guard than what the team has on the roster, or that their isn’t a possible move to be made that at least could solidify the position.So tired of seeing the middle of the pocket collapsed and not getting a push in short yardage situations.  How many times have we seen the running back hit in the back field? Doesn’t matter who you have at  running back is if there’s nowhere to run.

11 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I don't know what a hefty oyd is, but I do agree with your point.  The only thing I DON'T want us to do is forfeit a long term asset for a 1 or 2 year rental.  One of the 'Way too early" mock drafts for next season has 5 offensive lineman going in the 1st round.... and the one that intrigues me the most is Michael Dieter out of Wisconsin.  He's listed as a LT and has the size for the outside (6'6" / 325) but from what I've seen he projects better as an interior O-line in the NFL.  One of the mocks has him going 31 overall to Philly, so he should be there when we pick.  If he's got the good and can go the way of Scherff, a mid first round pick for someone like him very well may be worth it.  

Because at this point, we're not a LG away from being in the superbowl.  If someone comes available for a 4th round pick who is under contract for 2 - 3 more years, or who we are confident we can re-sign... absolutely kick the tires.  What I really don't want to see us do is give up an upper half draft pick in order to bring someone in who's going into their contract season, just to see them sign elsewhere.  

Maybe not be a Super Bowl team but I believe a solid left guard would do a great deal toward at making a playoff run. I think this is the best roster that the Redskins have had in  a long time.The team has an abundance of pics if I’m not mistaken,somewhere around 12 in the 2019 draft. Plenty of ammunition if there is someone to be had.

Just now, Tarpon75 said:

Maybe not be a Super Bowl team but I believe a solid left guard would do a great deal toward at making a playoff run. I think this is the best roster that the Redskins have had in  a long time.The team has an abundance of pics if I’m not mistaken,somewhere around 12 in the 2019 draft. Plenty of ammunition if there is someone to be had.

It's hard for me to argue that.  I do think we have quite a few question marks, but if things break right we could make a push.  A couple things break right, a couple surprise teams fall off the map, and we absolutely could be right in the conversation.  Like I said, if there is a guy out there in his 1st or 2nd contract who looks like a fit, is still young, and we're confident can be had for the long term.... lets rock and roll.  

30 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Agree on Hernandez, not happy at all that the Giants got him. But not only would it have costs us the 2nd rated RB in the draft and a good swing tackle the trade up necessary would have meant more picks spent.  

I totally agree. Kinda my point. If he was within a couple spots of us, I'd have gone up for him, but he went too early to do that and we did the best thing possible. Slid back, got our RB and added to the line anyway. Awesome. 

23 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

I agree. If a player is on the bubble and a good starter and a 4rth round pick is going to pry him loose, do it. 

17 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I love our first 3 picks and commend our FO for the job they did. I'm stoked we got Guise and a T. Thats pretty amazing. 

15 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Yeah, I'm pretty excited that we're loaded with picks for this next draft. We're definitely going to keep loading up the lines. I really like what we've started building. 

Oyd is one year deal and I'm not saying give up a 1-3 rounder, but we've got a heck of a team and I don't see how we're not "1 player away" from being in the mix. There's a ton of what ifs, but if we stay healthy, we're pretty ****ing loaded.

Archived