What to do at LG?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What should Skins do at LG?

• In Kouandjio we trust
    • Move Ty Nsekhe
    • Find Vet to compete with Kouandjio- best man wins
    • Our starting LG is not currently on the roster

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2018 at 04:55 PM

Sigh

2 hours ago, MEANDWARF said:

He'll be a training camp cut. Keep an eye on Arie Kouandio, Sean Welsh, or Geron Christian to take his place.

Did Brandon Scheriff played tackle at Iowa, but was drafted as a guard? 

He was drafted to play tackle but Moses came on and he was pushed inside to guard.

He was always expected to be better at guard though. 

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

Kouandjio is out for the season as of this morning with a torn quad. My money is still on Welsh.

http://rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?ls=roto:nfl:gnav

Awww ****!

I'm upset not only because I just spent time watching Kujo's effort weeks 12-17, but because I really liked what I saw. Dammit!

Over the course of those 6 games he gave up 3 sacks. Not great, but at least the 1st 2 were in week 12. One of those sacks was a straight bull rush where he was just over-powered and the other two were fakes where he lost balance. In general his pass pro was very good and his run blocking was decent but not spectacular. One of the pass pro strengths is the ability to focus on space and not lock onto guys. It was routine for him to block the first man on him then move to another guy stunting to the inside, handle him, pass him to the C, then go back to the original guy as the LT would passed him back inside. There was one play where he blocked four different D players on an insanely complicated stunt, making it look easy. He also looks for extra work. His run blocking is a bit flat-footed at times. He has trouble with stretch and influence blocks, but is decent at moving people backwards on drive blocks. He's much better than Lauvao was. What a shame.

Watching all this I noticed a few things about the OL. Bergstrom was a decent backup, but you could really see a difference with Roullier at C. He is just a more intense player who has some similarities to The Scherff in terms of playing full-on to the whistle, being very agile and being able to effectively block in space/on the run. It was like he was The Scherff's not-so-mini Mini Me. There was a screen where LG/C/RG formed the screen. Kujo whiffed on his guy because the DB was just too fast for him. Roullier and The Scherff both locked on to their men and blocked them right out of the play, on the fly. It was pretty awesome.Ty Nsekhe at LT looked lost. He is huge and has the length you need at T but it looked to me like he just wasn't able to understand the system or maybe he had a nagging injury. Was he also hurt at the end of 2017?

What surprised me on D was how well Lanier and Vigil played. They were both more solid than I recall.

With Kujo down filling LG will be more of a challenge. My sentimental pick is Welsh. It's not based on anything but gut instinct but I think he could be the guy.

Has anyone taken a look at Welsh's play yet?

Hail.

I've looked at one Iowa game from last year (condensed offensive plays only) and have good news and bad news on Welsh.

Good news is that he can move people off the ball with crushing drive blocks and can turn people or run them past the hole when he takes the right angle on reach blocks. His pass pro is very solid. When he hits his target, you can see the defender receiving a shock wave from the blow. It's pretty cool. Obviously he is a very strong guy.

Bad news is that he seems to have trouble hitting his target in space. When pulling or going to the next level his targets often elude him with feints right before contact. He also has a very very bad habit of trying to cut people on reach blocks where he has to take a really shallow angle. Coupled with that is another habit where he tucks his head as he begins the cut. This means he is very unlikely to hit the mark as he takes his eyes off it and leaves his feet before contact. 

BUT take this with a grain of salt. It was just one game. I'll watch more and share thoughts. I'd love to hear what other people see if they watch him.

Hail

2 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

I've looked at one Iowa game from last year (condensed offensive plays only) and have good news and bad news on Welsh.

Good news is that he can move people off the ball with crushing drive blocks and can turn people or run them past the hole when he takes the right angle on reach blocks. His pass pro is very solid. When he hits his target, you can see the defender receiving a shock wave from the blow. It's pretty cool. Obviously he is a very strong guy.

Bad news is that he seems to have trouble hitting his target in space. When pulling or going to the next level his targets often elude him with feints right before contact. He also has a very very bad habit of trying to cut people on reach blocks where he has to take a really shallow angle. Coupled with that is another habit where he tucks his head as he begins the cut. This means he is very unlikely to hit the mark as he takes his eyes off it and leaves his feet before contact. 

BUT take this with a grain of salt. It was just one game. I'll watch more and share thoughts. I'd love to hear what other people see if they watch him.

Hail

Well he just left the team and apparently retired, so no point...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.hawkcentral.com/amp/603371002

Very disappointing.  Liked his potential and wanted to see him compete for a roster spot.   I know he has some depression issues, I wish him well.  

Unfortunately, our weakest position just got thinner in the matter of about six hours.  The bright side is neither of these guys were going to be a core guy for 2018.  Next man up.  

1 minute ago, skinsfan212689 said:

We have to trade for a LG. Not sure if a team have a surplus (or an extra) of guards but we are in dire need.

I know the Pats just release a 3rd rounder but he had health issues. 

One option is Alex Boone.  He's 31 years old and might provide help at LG.

16 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Maybe June 1st cuts are still an option ?

I tried looking to see who may potentially be cut. 

Maybe Bucs JR Sweezy .. but the guy looks like a serial killer and seems like a lateral move as Sweezy = Lauvau imo. Below average vet.  

I just want an average vet. 

4 minutes ago, Bang said:

Is this something unique to our team? 2 years ago it was an UDFA QB, then S'ua, and now Welsh. I thought the chance to play in the NFL is a unique and rare opportunity.  I feel for Welsh, and admire him for not wasting our organizations time if his heart is no longer in it. Depression is serious stuff when it takes away your desire to pursue your dream

13 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Is this something unique to our team? 2 years ago it was an UDFA QB, then S'ua, and now Welsh. I thought the chance to play in the NFL is a unique and rare opportunity.  I feel for Welsh, and admire him for not wasting our organizations time if his heart is no longer in it. Depression is serious stuff when it takes away your desire to pursue your dream

Man..two linemen in one day!!..Feels like groundhogs day from last season already!!

Im was Really hoping Welsh would come in and do well enough to eventually work himself into a decent role player..I hope Ty fills in and we pickup another rotational guy to help with depth??

17 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

A third round pick like Sua was unusual. For UDFAs though, I doubt it's that rare. Ours just happened to be at a position so badly filled that he actually stood a chance to be relevant.

39 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Is this something unique to our team? 

I was thinking the same thing. Why is it young men who have worked so hard to make it to the nfl then have a short stint with the Redskins and then say "I don't want to do this anymore". But I think Holliday came back with the chiefs for a brief stint.  And sua will pretend he likes football for a few more paychecks.  Hopefully nobody on the broncos has the audacity to pull a will Compton and ask him to show some passion.

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

One option is Alex Boone.  He's 31 years old and might provide help at LG.

I hope we pass on Boone.   He was cut by the Vikings last Sept for being out of shape and his best years are behind him.  I would rather see a roster spot go to someone young and hungry. 

But I'd be ok with jahri Evans as a stopgap.  He was solid last year with green bay and is still hungry for a ring. 

Archived