Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

On 7/11/2018 at 9:33 AM, goskins10 said:

Yes, those characterizations are room people that know nothing about him at all. When you listen to his teammates from LSU they have nothing but good things to say. Same with his coaches. None of them understand where all this garbage is coming from. 

He may walk to a slightly different beat but how does that make him a diva? It does not. He likes to play video games, help other people, and loves playing football! 

I've said it on this thread and said it months back on the draft thread -- the extra circular stuff about Guice struck me as a cool bonus to him as a player.  That is, when the camera would pan his way during LSU games you can tell he was a ball of contagious energy on the sideline.  I get the whole who cares about the extra stuff -- you are either a good player or not.  But as for Guice I think he will be a great player -- but I do love the gravy of having his energy on the sideline.

Chris Thompson referred to it in a recent interview about how Guice has transformed the energy in the RB meeting room.  I am sticking to the idea that if this ends up a playoff year this dude will be the lead dance to make it happen. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've said it on this thread and said it months back on the draft thread -- the extra circular stuff about Guice struck me as a cool bonus to him as a player.  That is, when the camera would pan his way during LSU games you can tell he was a ball of contagious energy on the sideline.  I get the whole who cares about the extra stuff -- you are either a good player or not.  But as for Guice I think he will be a great player -- but I do love the gravy of having his energy on the sideline.

Chris Thompson referred to it in a recent interview about how Guice has transformed the energy in the RB meeting room.  I am sticking to the idea that if this ends up a playoff year this dude will be the lead dance to make it happen. 

I think his energy and enthusiasm is going to be contagious, in a very positive way. I really like the kid, and I hope he can solve our RB woes. And, if we can start punching in short yardage TD's and first downs with regularity, instead of becoming a completely one dimensional passing team in those situations because of him, I'll be ecstatic. I don't think we've really had that consistently since Riggins.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/36777/derrius-guice-healthy-ol-can-solve-redskins-run-game-woes

As one scout said, the goal is to get defenses to respect the run and get more players in the box. He also called the notion of committing to the run “overrated.” It’s not about number of carries or striking some sort of balance, whatever that might be. It’s about the threat. One defensive assistant from another team said a year ago the Redskins didn’t have a back they feared. That didn’t change in the 2017 season.

Certainly, there have been times in games where the Redskins could have stuck with the run a little more. But would it have helped them win more? Hard to say.

One note: Eight of the top-10 teams in terms of number of carries finished with a winning record last year. Eight of the top 10 in terms of yards per carry also did the same,

11 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

Guice to DC was the single best moment of the entire Draft weekend, for me. :) 

I agree. I was feeling kind of bummed about taking Payne so early, but when we landed Guice, it was simply hard to believe. 

13 hours ago, duffy said:

I agree. I was feeling kind of bummed about taking Payne so early, but when we landed Guice, it was simply hard to believe. 

I hear you. I was thinking that they could have done much worse than Payne. Gave it a "B" type of premature grade. 

I was bummed that Vea and Fitzpatrick were selected just before the #13 pick. So then, I was more interested in trading back or selecting James. Now, I am feeling better about how things went. 

On 7/14/2018 at 10:35 AM, Sandy Monk said:

Guice to DC was the single best moment of the entire Draft weekend, for me. :) 

Knowing we had no shot at Saquon, I started campaigning for Guice long before the draft. It was agonizing as we went though the early 2nd round waiting for that pick. So happy when we made it.

1 hour ago, Chachie said:

Knowing we had no shot at Saquon, I started campaigning for Guice long before the draft. It was agonizing as we went though the early 2nd round waiting for that pick. So happy when we made it.

Yes, yes, and HELL YES. 

I wouldn't have been mad had they selected Guice at #13 overall... and no.. day drinking is not influencing the sentiment. 

On 7/13/2018 at 12:00 AM, Morneblade said:

I think his energy and enthusiasm is going to be contagious, in a very positive way. I really like the kid, and I hope he can solve our RB woes. And, if we can start punching in short yardage TD's and first downs with regularity, instead of becoming a completely one dimensional passing team in those situations because of him, I'll be ecstatic. I don't think we've really had that consistently since Riggins.

We've had good running backs since Riggo and even Riggins Redskins career wasn't that long.

Terry Allen and Stephen Davis come to mind.  Portis was actually pretty good at short yardage, if I recall correctly.  He bulked up and played differently, arguably at the cost of a longer career.

On 7/13/2018 at 1:00 AM, Morneblade said:

Allen, Davis and Portis were all pretty consistent short yardage backs. Over one year, it was probably Riggs in 1991 who was the most consistent ever.  Byner's best individual season as a Redskin (1990) and his best year in terms of YPA as a Redskin (1989) both had just a few 20+ runs (22 was his long in 1990 and 24 was longest in 1989). You don't get over 1200 yards at 4.1 yards a pop with no monster runs unless you are deadly on the short runs. I'd add that neither Allen or Portis had the greatest offensive lines.

2 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Am I the only one that can't get past the thought of....... "Damn, that Jag is sweet. I need one!!" 

Been dream car shopping for a week now, thanks Guice. ???

It is a good looking car.  And I'm not even a fan of the small s.u.v.'s.

On 7/16/2018 at 1:53 PM, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

We've had good running backs since Riggo and even Riggins Redskins career wasn't that long.

Terry Allen and Stephen Davis come to mind.  Portis was actually pretty good at short yardage, if I recall correctly.  He bulked up and played differently, arguably at the cost of a longer career.

On 7/16/2018 at 2:44 PM, Darth Tater said:

Allen, Davis and Portis were all pretty consistent short yardage backs. Over one year, it was probably Riggs in 1991 who was the most consistent ever.  Byner's best individual season as a Redskin (1990) and his best year in terms of YPA as a Redskin (1989) both had just a few 20+ runs (22 was his long in 1990 and 24 was longest in 1989). You don't get over 1200 yards at 4.1 yards a pop with no monster runs unless you are deadly on the short runs. I'd add that neither Allen or Portis had the greatest offensive lines.

Portis was ok, not a good power back. And to be honest he was misused.

Terry Allen was not a power back, but he was a good RB considering the two knee reconstructions in that era. Pretty amazing he came back from those.

Stephen Davis was a power back, and a very good one. Thanks for reminding me about him.

Riggs was a one year wonder, and I'm not sure why. He was a beast in Atlanta, maybe it caught up with him.

It's been said here well by many. His social media presence is eerily similar to one RG3 and has setup for future fallout. His 'fan friendly' posts and early love can very well be tested by the first half of the first game. 

I can imagine what his twinder account or snapface will look like if he has 12 carries for 8 yards with 2 fumbles lost in the first half of game 1. I would take odds he responds in the looker room to some haters. Just seems like thats where this is going.

I love the pick, but I can see where teams sensed maybe he wasn't ready from an emotional quotient standpoint. I hope I'm wrong. I love his talents and think he's genuine in his character. It's just, the world can be a cruel place sometimes, especially when the team is losing. 

11 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Portis was ok, not a good power back. And to be honest he was misused.

Terry Allen was not a power back, but he was a good RB considering the two knee reconstructions in that era. Pretty amazing he came back from those.

Stephen Davis was a power back, and a very good one. Thanks for reminding me about him.

Riggs was a one year wonder, and I'm not sure why. He was a beast in Atlanta, maybe it caught up with him.

Well, we disagree big time then about Allen.  Remember, Terry Allen was one of the best goal to go guys in his era running behind a line that had only one guy of note, Tre Johnson (although, he was probably one of the best during his time).  You might have an argument for Portis although only Samuels should be considered as good as what Riggins got to run behind.  Riggs always had issues with ball security which was not a good problem to have, especially on a Gibbs team. He was not a young pup when he came here and had injury questions.

On 7/16/2018 at 6:28 PM, Sandy Monk said:

Yes, yes, and HELL YES. 

I wouldn't have been mad had they selected Guice at #13 overall... and no.. day drinking is not influencing the sentiment. 

I was bummed we didn't take him at #13 to be honest. Thought he would for sure be gone before we picked again. Just about lost my **** when he was on the board and we traded back. Just about lost it all over again (but in a totally different way) when that 59th pick was announced. I am so stoked about Guice.

57 minutes ago, UKskins said:

I was bummed we didn't take him at #13 to be honest. Thought he would for sure be gone before we picked again. Just about lost my **** when he was on the board and we traded back. Just about lost it all over again (but in a totally different way) when that 59th pick was announced. I am so stoked about Guice.

Yeah, that was quite a long and tense drama.. and the only moment all weekend that made me yell out loud in pure non-sexual orgasm.

It really baffles me that he wasn't being looked at as a top 20 prospect. If they had come out of the same draft, I would have selected Guice over Fournette.  He is going to be so much fun to watch in Washington, and x10 if the line can stay reasonably healthy. I don't think Jay can even mess this up, and Alex will bring more run balance to the offense. :headbang:

Archived