Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama

PCS

On 4/27/2018 at 1:22 AM, THE HAMMER'IN HOG said:

I was hoping for either Payne or W. Hernandez, I believe at #13 Payne was the right pick!!! 

Would like to add Tim Settle - Virginia, to that mix, 3 monsters on the D line, slide Payne to DE, and allow Settle to pummel the inside at nose!!! 

BOOM!!!! This is a great pick! Settle is an absolute torpedo at the nose, putting Payne and Allen on the ends, and Settle right up the middle, (at least that's what I think it should be) either way great pick in the 5th!!! 

Payne was always my favorite player at #13 during the months leading up to the draft... Now, watching all these interviews/press conferences since draft- I'm convinced we drafted an All-Pro for the next ten years.  Dude's a Stoic-Savant who takes in pride in the things that don't show up in the stat sheet.  His personality actually reminds me of Trent Dubya (in the way he quietly commands respect with presence/not words) and I think he's going to be the kind of selfless teammate that pushes his boys to work harder.

Sorry to keep gushing over Big Daddy Payne-- but I just worked a 15 hour day (on a Saturday!) so I get to drink my wine, watch some tape/interviews, and get myself AMPED on how incredible this draft was for the Washington Redskins!!  Let's goooooooooo BABY!!  #PayneTrain #ChooChoo

On 4/28/2018 at 3:07 PM, THE HAMMER'IN HOG said:

BOOM!!!! This is a great pick! Settle is an absolute torpedo at the nose, putting Payne and Allen on the ends, and Settle right up the middle, (at least that's what I think it should be) either way great pick in the 5th!!! 

I don't think Payne's ideal position is DE. I'd definitely stick with Matt Io there as he's a much better pass rusher than Payne. Before he got hurt, Io was looking like a legit stud at DE. Settle will be a valuable rotational guy at NT. Payne can't take every snap.

I think we’ll see Payne, Allen, and Ionnidis shift positions along the front. We do that somewhat already but I think now it’ll be a staple. With our younger and quicker DL, there should be more stunts, too. Offensive lineman will struggle in their blocking assigments and our DL should be able to shoot gaps regularly. 

20 hours ago, mistertim said:

I don't think Payne's ideal position is DE. I'd definitely stick with Matt Io there as he's a much better pass rusher than Payne. Before he got hurt, Io was looking like a legit stud at DE. Settle will be a valuable rotational guy at NT. Payne can't take every snap.

Don't know if this was posted or not in this thread, but I'll post it in reply. Maybe this is what the skins were thinking when they took Settle along with Payne.

I think the DL will move around quite a bit to exploit matchups, but I agree with the article, he can play some nose but would be better suited at 1 or 3 tech depending on the defensive formation.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/28/17132626/nfl-draft-2018-daron-payne-breakdown

I could see us imitating the Chicago defense of the early 2000s when they had Ted Washington and another enormous DT (Sam Adams?) With Zach Brown playing the role of Urlacher in the middle.  Similar scenario would be the Williams "brothers" in Minnesota. In any case, there will likely be a steady rotation.

On 4/28/2018 at 11:13 PM, Kelvin Bryant said:

Nice read here - analysis of Payne's play in the National Championship:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/4/16/17030912/daron-payne-alabama-national-championship-game-nfl-draft

People wonder why Settles highlights & even many game cut ups look better than Paynes, the reason is simple & nothing could make it easier to understand than this:

"The coaches noted Alabama was in a bear front, a look it showed often in the game. The front creates five one-on-one matchups along the line and challenges each defender to simply whip his man. On this play, the Tide ran a stunt on the left side and brought an extra defender."

In this game, they played a good bit of Bud Fosters bear defense he put in for their win over Ohio State. This game is what Payne would look like every week if he played for VT, only he would be playing far inferior Olines than UGAs most weeks. 

On 4/30/2018 at 12:01 PM, mistertim said:

There isnt a chance on gods green earth that Matt is a better pass rusher than Payne. Payne is an entirely different species than Matt, who I like a lot & wanted us to draft.

7 minutes ago, volsmet said:

There isnt a chance on gods green earth that Matt is a better pass rusher than Payne. Payne is an entirely different species than Matt, who I like a lot & wanted us to draft.

So the NFL DT/DE who seemed to be on pace for a big year in sacks and pressures before he got injured is a worse pass rusher than the guy who had 3 sacks throughout his whole college career.......ok.

This isn't exactly a out of left field position. Most people realize that, as of now, Payne is not much of a pass rusher and is more of a pure run stuffer. That doesn't mean that he can't develop his pass rush chops, but I see no way he's a better pass rusher than Matt I at this point. 

6 hours ago, mistertim said:

So the NFL DT/DE who seemed to be on pace for a big year in sacks and pressures before he got injured is a worse pass rusher than the guy who had 3 sacks throughout his whole college career.......ok.

This isn't exactly a out of left field position. Most people realize that, as of now, Payne is not much of a pass rusher and is more of a pure run stuffer. That doesn't mean that he can't develop his pass rush chops, but I see no way he's a better pass rusher than Matt I at this point. 

Yes.

Im not particularly concerned with what you believe most people think - Payne will show you soon enough how much more impactful he can be in the passing game. The nuance of what Payne was asked to do is lost on many, the things hes capable of doing wont evade you gentlemen for long. Many here dont understand how a guy could look so dominant rushing the passer in the title game, but not vs Col St. I hope you are willing to join me for a laugh when we revisit this topic down the line. 

Cheers.

39 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Yes.

Im not particularly concerned with what you believe most people think - Payne will show you soon enough how much more impactful he can be in the passing game. The nuance of what Payne was asked to do is lost on many, the things hes capable of doing wont evade you gentlemen for long. Many here dont understand how a guy could look so dominant rushing the passer in the title game, but not vs Col St. I hope you are willing to join me for a laugh when we revisit this topic down the line. 

Cheers.

So you're essentially basing your belief that he'll come in and be a dominant pass rusher on one game? And the "nuance" of what he did was not lost on me. I watched every cutup of him I could find multiple times and I saw a guy who was generally good against the run but had difficulty getting penetration into the backfield and making plays and his poor sack and TFL stats show that. And he did try. He just seemed to get stonewalled by decent offensive linemen, had limited pass rush moves, didn't really seem to have counter moves, and rarely beat double teams. Yes he played like a completely different guy in the title game. But we're basically just hoping that we get that guy. Most teams are wary about drafting one year wonders, but we took a one game wonder at 13th overall. I certainly hope he'll be the same guy from the title game, but I don't necessarily expect it, at least right off the bat. I still believe he was a pretty big reach and we drafted him almost purely based on need.

On 4/28/2018 at 3:07 PM, THE HAMMER'IN HOG said:

BOOM!!!! This is a great pick! Settle is an absolute torpedo at the nose

If ya wanna talk about Tim Settle, you're posting in Da'Ron thread -  dis is Da'Right thread, for that...

http://es.redskins.com/topic/421649-welcome-to-the-washington-redskins-tim-settle-dt-virginia-tech/?page=3

:)

Archived