Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evaluating Jay Gruden in 2018

Voice_of_Reason

Haven't watched the presser but from what's being said it seems like Jay wants to get canned or maybe they could trade him to Cincinnati.  I wouldn't be shocked if Jay wanted to leave and take that job. 

-Mike Brown might be one of the cheapest owners in the NFL, but in being cheap he keeps coaches around for longer then most owners will stand for because he doesn't want to pay out salaries for fired coaches

-Brown also gives his coaches more say when it comes to player personnel decisions

• -Dalton is a better QB then what he has here and Jay knows him well

-He'll get AJ Green and Joe Mixon who are better skill players then what's here

My take on the presser:

1. I think I said this same thing after last year’s end of year presser: you’d have no idea that the team failed tremendously and that change was needed, either coaching staff or players.  Every player who was named was either good or developing.  Wants to keep everybody.  Praised everybody, including Haha, which is a joke. Haha.  

Bring back Crowder and Preston.  Reed is great.  Secondary is young but improving. Have Norman for one more year. 

Coaches did a great job getting guys ready with all the injuries.

2. When asked how you evaluate the team, coaching staff and players with the injuries he said it was impossible. Just can’t do it becaus of all the injuries. 

3. When asked the most pointed question (politely) about what he thinks needs to change, he literally had no answer.  Bumbled around for a bit and said, essentially, we need to be on the same page as the FO with communication.  Now, there are 2 ways to read that comment:

a. He was unhappy with some of the guys who were brought in, or the FA strategy, or something and wants more input 

b. He couldn’t come up with anything tangible so he just said something because he had to.  And some mumbled vague answer about communication probably gets no real run.

If it truely was option a, then I really wish he’d been a little more specific.  But as soon as he said it he backtracked and said communication was good.  Which could mean he caught himself, or not.  I have no idea.

4.  I like a lot of our media guys, but they are completely gutless.  Not 1 question about the #FireBruceAllen movement, which is a story that needs to be told. “Jay, are you and the organization aware of the significant fan unrest about the way rhe team is being run.  Reference dropping attendance, ratings, and an online campaign with thousands of signatures to remove and replace a Bruce Allen.”  

Bunches of different opportunists to follow up on things like “rhe injuries are just bad luck”,  No follow up about selecting players with injury history or preparation.  

Just wimpy.  

I think everybody likes Jay.  And doesn’t want to press him too hard. 

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

4.  I like a lot of our media guys, but they are completely gutless.  Not 1 question about the #FireBruceAllen movement, which is a story that needs to be told. “Jay, are you and the organization aware of the significant fan unrest about the way rhe team is being run.  Reference dropping attendance, ratings, and an online campaign with thousands of signatures to remove and replace a Bruce Allen.”  

The guy needs to go back and watch the tape,he can't get any digital copies...

So you really believes he's in tweeter or such?

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

The guy needs to go back and watch the tape,he can't get any digital copies...

So you really believes he's in tweeter or such?

Chuckle about the watch rhe film comment.

I don’t think Jay has a clue about what’s going on with the fan base, but that’s why you set the question up.  Explain the situation, the online petitions and the twitter campaigns and ask if the organization is aware of the significant fan unrest about the direction of the franchise under Allen and Gruden’s leadership 

Its a tough question but you can ask it without being a dick about it.  Believe me, in New York or Chicago that question would be the ONLY one asked. And it wouldn’t be that polite. 

32 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

My take on the presser:

In fairness, that's a question for the owner and not the head coach. Jay would be stupid to discuss the topic other than to say, "I support my boss."

AP is amazing and he deserves a chance to play for a playoff caliber team, it would be nice to have him but for what, do we actually have a chance at being good next year?  Whether we want to admit it or not there is no quick fix, the chickens have come home to roost and we can drag it out and be terrible for years to come or do this the correct way and start unloading old assets and get as many drafts picks as possible so we can have a legit chance at being good by the start of the 2021 season.

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

AP is amazing and he deserves a chance to play for a playoff caliber team, it would be nice to have him but for what, do we actually have a chance at being good next year?  Whether we want to admit it or not there is no quick fix, the chickens have come home to roost and we can drag it out and be terrible for years to come or do this the correct way and start unloading old assets and get as many drafts picks as possible so we can have a legit chance at being good by the start of the 2021 season.

I disagree. There is a lot of value in having an AP next year. This team needs some role models who can show the pups the right way to prepare for a game, the right way train in the off season. We need a few gray beards that show the younger class how you get it done and what it takes to be an all pro and HOFer.

I still remember Brian Mitchell coming in as a rookie and saying how he was awed at how hard Art Monk worked and said, "When I saw what a guy like him puts into the game I know I had to kill myself just to keep up." The problem is, the Redskins have too many soft players and soft coaches eager to teach the youngsters how to skip a practice and slough. We don't have enough who show them the kind of dedication it takes to be great.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

My take on the presser:

1. I think I said this same thing after last year’s end of year presser: you’d have no idea that the team failed tremendously and that change was needed, either coaching staff or players.  Every player who was named was either good or developing.  Wants to keep everybody.  Praised everybody, including Haha, which is a joke. Haha.  

Bring back Crowder and Preston.  Reed is great.  Secondary is young but improving. Have Norman for one more year. 

Coaches did a great job getting guys ready with all the injuries.

Exactly what benefit other than feeding fans anger does it provide to trash everyone, in why trash anyone? Just leave it open and positive and do what you need to do behind closed doors. Once you say something negative it can never be taken back. This is exactly how any professional HC would handle this questions. 

2. When asked how you evaluate the team, coaching staff and players with the injuries he said it was impossible. Just can’t do it becaus of all the injuries. 

I think you misunderstood here. To me, the question was can you evaluate the team without accounting for injuries. He said it's impossible which I totally agree with. The injuries are what they are. You can guess what things look liek without injuries but doing any true and honest evaluation has to include injuries. 

3. When asked the most pointed question (politely) about what he thinks needs to change, he literally had no answer.  Bumbled around for a bit and said, essentially, we need to be on the same page as the FO with communication.  Now, there are 2 ways to read that comment:

a. He was unhappy with some of the guys who were brought in, or the FA strategy, or something and wants more input 

b. He couldn’t come up with anything tangible so he just said something because he had to.  And some mumbled vague answer about communication probably gets no real run.

If it truely was option a, then I really wish he’d been a little more specific.  But as soon as he said it he backtracked and said communication was good.  Which could mean he caught himself, or not.  I have no idea.

I believe this is Jay being the employee and knowing who his bosses are. There is no benefit for him to call out Bruce or anyone above him. And if you are being fair, no one does this unless they are on their way out. Not a realistic expectation to have him talk too specific here. 

No way anyone asks this question of the HC. This is a question you ask the owner or maybe the president. But never the HC. You are never getting an real answer. Not a reasonable expectations. 

Bunches of different opportunists to follow up on things like “rhe injuries are just bad luck”,  No follow up about selecting players with injury history or preparation.  

Just wimpy.  

I think everybody likes Jay.  And doesn’t want to press him too hard. 

He and Doug are the only ones who give anything resembling honest answers and Jay is more direct than Doug. If they press too hard they put him in a bad situation when there is no need to. Not saying they should never challenge him. But have to pick and choose. 

I really wish Jay would quit. Unfortunately the best reason would be him to go to CN. But Bruce and Dan would never let him do that. They are petty and vindictive and would never let him do what he wants. 

I stand hard and fast in my believe that while Jay has his problems, they are much over blown by the fan base. Virtually every real problem this team has can be traced back to Dan and Bruce. 

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

AP is gone Bruce and Jay are staying, Happy New Harvest Festivus !

i am OK with AP leaving IF Guice is healthy. Guice and Thompson is a one potent backfield.

9 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

really wish Jay would quit. Unfortunately the best reason would be him to go to CN. But Bruce and Dan would never let him do that. They are petty and vindictive and would never let him do what he wants. 

I think it is much more likely that we end up with Marvin Lewis as our new DC rather than Jay going anywhere.

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

I’ve decided I want to keep gruden. I like him. 

He needs to hire someone to walk next to him and guide him on when to use time outs and when to tell his guys to hurry up. 

So, what you're saying is... he needs a head coach? ;)

Average coach at best, let Cincy have him. I cannot think of one thing he is great at. Good at some things, but nothing great.

I have heard that players sometimes take on the personality of their coach, not sure I would want this team to do so, but maybe they already have. 

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

i am OK with AP leaving IF Guice is healthy. Guice and Thompson is a one potent backfield.

Neither of them can.

I think it is much more likely that we end up with Marvin Lewis as our new DC rather than Jay going anywhere.

I dont think Lewis left on good terms.  Barely anyone leaves here on good terms.

@Voice_of_Reason I do believe our beat reporters have realized Gruden despite his faults is not going to get them the answers they need.   

No way will he bite the hand that feeds him, everyone in here knows what he meant by that, hes sick of the front office making player acquisition decisions without him and leaving him to try to cover up the mess. 

Think they realized same as him that last conference was pointless, they coulda shot more arrows at him, but for what, that not the head of the dragon.  If they press Jay for his honesty, all it's going to do is get him fired.

CT is healthy for an average of like 6 games a season.  Guice lasted 1 carry.

I think bringing AP back I’d he’s willing would be a really smart idea and a great insurance policy.  

Lewis will retire.  He’s not going anywhere as a DC.  

Unkess somebody thinks he deserves a 17th year as HC given his remarkable inability to, you know, win....

He should have resigned as HC years ago and gone back to being one of the best DCs in football.

15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@Voice_of_Reason I do believe our beat reporters have realized Gruden despite his faults is not going to get them the answers they need.   

No way will he bite the hand that feeds him, everyone in here knows what he meant by that, hes sick of the front office making player acquisition decisions without him and leaving him to try to cover up the mess. 

Think they realized same as him that last conference was pointless, they coulda shot more arrows at him, but for what, that not the head of the dragon.  If they press Jay for his honesty, all it's going to do is get him fired.

Jay is the head coach and importantly the only one in the organization who actually talks.  So as the media, you’re kinda obligated to ask the organization questions.  Even if you get a non-answer, that’s fine.

Again, I’m most interested in the answer to “does the organization even know and acknowledge the fan unhappiness.”

Jay could say, “yes, we’re hearing everything and we have to do a better job For the fans, Bruce and Mr. Snyder are committed to make things right.”  Or he could say “Yeah, we really are so focused we don’t be hear any of that.” Regardless,  he can give an answer that doesn’t trash anybody and doesn’t make Bruce or Dan look bad.  

It woukd just be interesting to hear if they even know the fans are upset.  And I think Jay woukd have interesting insight to that question, and I don’t think it’s an out of line question.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Jay is the head coach and importantly the only one in the organization who actually talks.  So as the media, you’re kinda obligated to ask the organization questions.  Even if you get a non-answer, that’s fine.

Again, I’m most interested in the answer to “does the organization even know and acknowledge the fan unhappiness.”

Jay could say, “yes, we’re hearing everything and we have to do a better job For the fans, Bruce and Mr. Snyder are committed to make things right.”  Or he could say “Yeah, we really are so focused we don’t be hear any of that.” Regardless,  he can give an answer that doesn’t trash anybody and doesn’t make Bruce or Dan look bad.  

It woukd just be interesting to hear if they even know the fans are upset.  And I think Jay woukd have interesting insight to that question, and I don’t think it’s an out of line question.

You and I both know they arent listening and that's why they throwing him out there to take darts for them.  I've seen little kids hear everything and process none of it, these are adults who insist on doing it their way no matter what we as fans think, it's not about us anymore.

I'm not saying dont ask them, I'm saying that's not who I want to answer the questions.  Hes saying without saying what he needs from him and wont give him in the 5 years hes been here, and he works in same building as them.

I want a Bruce Allen press conference so the gloves can really come off.

14 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Did you see the stadium yesterday? I'm pretty sure they know how fans feel.

1 hour ago, tshile said:

I’ve decided I want to keep gruden. I like him. 

He needs to hire someone to walk next to him and guide him on when to use time outs and when to tell his guys to hurry up. 

I’ve given Gruden a lot of slack, but I’ve become more ambivalent recently (I like him too though)

I’m gonna get on my soap box for a minute...

What I would love is for us to hire a serious GM, and for that guy to come to Gruden with a macro view that includes (some version of) the following:

1.  I want a guy close to you that is like McVey - smart as a whip and innovative.  A guy you could see turning over play calling duties to down the road.  (this could help Gruden while also planting a successor in place if the GM so chose).  Someone you could trust to help you with time management and situational play calling.  

2.  I want practices to be rough and fast paced.  If you need to, push that responsibility to your assistants (so Gruden can still be viewed as a ‘player coach’)

3. I want a plan for injuries.  Maybe the situation gets better organically, maybe it doesn’t, but I want something worked out to where you can still function no matter how bad the injuries get.  A simplified defense and offense that most guys off the street can step into.  For example, a limited amount of formations that multiple plays can be run out of.  Maybe going 100% man (or zone) blocking.  (hopefully this plan provides a better blueprint for the scouts/FO to supply suitable replacements)

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

So, what you're saying is... he needs a head coach? ;)

In essence, lol.  

Archived