Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evaluating Jay Gruden in 2018

Voice_of_Reason

@Burgold

If we have to bring in people to make up for him not being a HC, we might as well get a better head coach.  What's logical won't happen here, so what's left is hiring people that will help cover for his deficiencies that will eventually be hired elsewhere. 

Yes, McVay was here first, but anyone of his talent or gets similar results will use us as a springboard to get elsewhere.  Marvin Lewis and Bowles will only come here as DC with idea if they so well someone will give them another chance at HC again.

@Voice_of_Reason 72 page thread and apparently the people that own the site now didnt read any if it.  I feel for you, brotha.

2 hours ago, joeken24 said:

Let’s see what Matt Lefluer does as HC in Green Bay. A young (obviously) up and coming talent. We let him go and this is what we’ve got.

We once had a staff with OC Kyle Shanahan (Head Coach 49ers), Sean McVay (HC Rams) and Matt LaFleur (HC Packers). Ugh 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That team went 3-13 so forgive us for not realizing we had some gems on the staff. 

Its fine for us as fans to not realize it, but it’s not a good look for the front office that’s paid to identify and acquire talent.  It’d be different of course had the Redskins prospered at all since their departure, but per usual they haven’t.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Its fine for us as fans to not realize it, but it’s not a good look for the front office that’s paid to identify and acquire talent.  It’d be different of course had the Redskins prospered at all since their departure, but per usual they haven’t.

I think it's tough though...how do you ever really know? Very good organizations swing and miss at identifying the next up-and-coming guy all the time. 

7 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

We once had a staff with OC Kyle Shanahan (Head Coach 49ers), Sean McVay (HC Rams) and Matt LaFleur (HC Packers). Ugh 

and that's just depressing

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That team went 3-13 so forgive us for not realizing we had some gems on the staff. 

They were together from 2011-2013 if i'm not mistaken, which includes the division title in 2012. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think it's tough though...how do you ever really know? Very good organizations swing and miss at identifying the next up-and-coming guy all the time. 

There was ZERO question that McVay was an up and coming coach.  I remember so many people saying that it's not a matter of if, but when.  There was apprehension because he was so young, and I remember even the Rams got questioned putting so much on a such a 'young' guy, but there was no question that McVay was the best football mind in that lockerrom, as far back as when he was the TE coach.  Cooley RAVED about him.  

Kyle was also regarded as great young mind, that was not a surprise that he is where he is now.  

LaFluer wasn't as public, but that's where front offices make or break themselves.  We can't continue to watch the news to find a HC.  It's like they depend on the 'trends' to evaluate talent when it comes to coaches.  The 'hot' guy is their pick, because they can't figure it out for themselves. 

And to your point...we didnt swing and miss... we didnt even swing.  McVay ROCKETED up the ladder, and we held it in place while he launched himself of of it, waving as we watched him go by. 

Eager to hear who LaFleur will have on his staff, particularly whether he has been encouraged to keep Pettine and the defensive coaches, and whether a willingness to do so was part of the rationale for hiring him. Congrats to him, and I wish him well with the Packers. Such a storied franchise and now he gets to be part of that rich history. In theory, he gets the jump on everybody else for picking the best assistants who are out there and available (and willing to head to Green Bay).

I know his practices will be a lot more pro level-appropriate than the ones that have been held in Ashburn under the current regime. It's embarrassing when a rookie linebacker talks about how the practices in college were much "rougher" than the practices with his NFL team; and he wasn't talking about just hitting, in case someone wants to bring up the CBA.

Shanahan was billed as a future HC from the getgo. I think the plan was for him to take over for his dad. McVay became a hot name around 2015 ish. LaFleur kinda came out of nowhere and is just a beneficiary of the new trend of young offensive minds, I'm not sure how he'll do as HC but we'll see.

I think all this proves is that Mike Shanahan knew how to find offensive coaches. He had Gary Kubiak and Alex Gibbs in Denver as well.

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

Eager to hear who LaFleur will have on his staff, particularly whether he has been encouraged to keep Pettine and the defensive coaches, and whether a willingness to do so was part of the rationale for hiring him.

He was on Pettine's staff in Cleveland, so him keeping Pettine's would absolutely be his own decision.

I'm not entirely sold on LaFleur being THE next McVay. It seems more like desperation to sign anything McVay sneezes on in hopes it works.

4 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

He was on Pettine's staff in Cleveland, so him keeping Pettine's would absolutely be his own decision.

I'm not entirely sold on LaFleur being THE next McVay. It seems more like desperation to sign anything McVay sneezes on in hopes it works.

Yep.  He gets a lot of credit for the year he spent in LA but Sean was calling the plays and how much Matt actually had to do with designing the offence is debatable but I would guess not much.  He owns the Titans offence from this year and I cannot believe that even got him an interview let alone hired.  The vogue for offensive coaches is in full swing and in this hiring cycle I think we are going to see some teams really reach.

6 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

The vogue for offensive coaches is in full swing and in this hiring cycle I think we are going to see some teams really reach.

.....yep, and a lot of firings 2 to 3 years from now. Just imagine DeFilippo was the hot name being bandied about just a month ago. And he didn't even last til the end of the season. Pederson is the only dude still working as a HC among those hired in 2016.

Archived