Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evaluating Jay Gruden in 2018

Voice_of_Reason

1 minute ago, skinzplay said:

.....yep, and a lot of firings 2 to 3 years from now. Just imagine DeFilippo was the hot name being bandied about just a month ago. And he didn't even last til the end of the season. Pederson is the only dude still working as a HC among those hired in 2016.

Not directed at you - working off your post to add -

Despite all the love Kyle gets here - he is 10-22 as a HC. And do not tell me about injuries. It's all part of it, right? That's what we hear about Jay. He could turn it around but so far he is not exactly a huge success at HC. Good OC but not as HC yet. 

As for Sean - he has done a good job during the regular season so far. No argument there. But they lost in the first rd of the POs last year. They looked very beatable coming down the stretch losing 15-6 to CHi and then losing to Philly, before beating AZ and SF - not exactly powerhouses - and they lost the #1 seed in the process. Seems if you slow down Gurley and make Goff beat you he is fair at best. Also, after this year, they only have 26 players under contract. Yes they have $90M in CAP but they need to pay Goff - or do they move on? Last but not least = their D is bad - just plain bad. Wade Phillips MO - good 1st yr then regresses every year after. Not saying Sean is not a good HC - but let's hold off the hero parade until his teams actually win something.

LaFleur - Not sure coming from the Titans off is the best endorsement. There is potential there - and I would have been OK if they brought him in to replace Jay. But still, may want to see what his team looks like before lamented what could have been. 

4 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Ok so they let go who I felt was the best coach on D. Redskins being Redskins

The thought was that he was good, but Tomsula is the best coach on that side of the ball.

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Ok so they let go who I felt was the best coach on D. Redskins being Redskins. 

then you got Garafalo suggesting its TBD about Manusky. 

So they are again hiring assistants for the coordinator before a new coordinator arrives?  Thats a mini version of what they did with Zorn.  Heck maybe like Zorn they just elevate that same dude to run the defense if they don't get better takers for the job.  Joe Woods called a defense before so he can become the coordinator, though he from what Ive seen was toasted by the fans in Denver for not being in their eyes a good coordinator. 

Hard for me to comment on Gray not being behind the scenes, but they sure screwed his chances when they let Breeland walk and traded away Fuller.  Then to have him count on Alexander, Stroman and Johnson?  And Dunbar missing half the year...

If the decision was based on how the unit performed this year, that’s just ridiculous given the (dearth of) talent he had to work with.  

20 minutes ago, Tay said:

The thought was that he was good, but Tomsula is the best coach on that side of the ball.

First, I liked them both - a lot. For me the upside to Torrian was just a bit better. But again, that's just me. Clearly they disagree.  

23 minutes ago, Tay said:

Tomsula is good, I dont' disagree... but

Tomsula had 3 first round picks (Kerrigan, Allen, Payne), a 2nd round pick (Preston Smith), a 5th round pick (Settle, who was viewed as one of the better DTs in that draft), and a 6th round pick who ended up being a major steal (Ioannidis) to rotate through his D-line.

Torrian Gray had Josh Norman, A converted WR to CB (who for half the season played as our best DB), a 3rd round pick (Fabian), and a bunch of late round picks that he actually coached up very well.... 

Gray was talked up by VT alum. D Hall did him a great service and a lot of the players liked him. That didn’t mean he was a great coach. His unit had communication issues and was nothing special. I would be interested to know how much say he had in personnel and playing time.  The only thing I see positive is him getting credit for k. Fullers improvment, which really had more to do with Fuller being healthy in year 2. He wasn’t leading the group and building chemistry. Anybody who went to training camp or really watched the way our players interact could see. Sweranger and D hall (when here) led that group. Torian was just there.  

Norman has regressed, 1st round talent Fabian has been juggled from slot to outside and has not looked like a first round talent with a pec injury, Swearinger was out of control could go on and on with the issues in our secondary. 

Norman passed comment quite recently about how much of a circus it had become. I know that is true across the piece, I kind of wonder what the knock on Gray would be. Maybe he couldn't 'control' the group to a degree, technically sound but not a strong enough character in a 'leadership' capacity. 

Dont know, just guessing as this is quite a surprising move.

It would be so like the Redskins to release Gray and then draft a 1st round corner.  

2016 - let Garçon and Jackson walk, franchise Cousins.  

2017 - let Cousins walk, draft our first talented back since Portis and our first NT since we switched to the 3-4. Extend Gruden and let his qb walk.  

2018 - let Breeland walk and trade Fuller, then release Gray.  Oh, and I’m gonna guess we release Callahan and finally add a starting caliber LG. 

2019 - I’m going with hire a mediocre secondary coach and draft a 1st round corner/sign Collins to make the coach look good...

41 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Norman passed comment quite recently about how much of a circus it had become. I know that is true across the piece, I kind of wonder what the knock on Gray would be. Maybe he couldn't 'control' the group to a degree, technically sound but not a strong enough character in a 'leadership' capacity. 

Dont know, just guessing as this is quite a surprising move.

Said the same thing about Raheem Morris - at what point does it become the players are the problem? 

6 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Not directed at you - working off your post to add -

Despite all the love Kyle gets here - he is 10-22 as a HC. And do not tell me about injuries. It's all part of it, right? That's what we hear about Jay. He could turn it around but so far he is not exactly a huge success at HC. Good OC but not as HC yet. 

As for Sean - he has done a good job during the regular season so far. No argument there. But they lost in the first rd of the POs last year. They looked very beatable coming down the stretch losing 15-6 to CHi and then losing to Philly, before beating AZ and SF - not exactly powerhouses - and they lost the #1 seed in the process. Seems if you slow down Gurley and make Goff beat you he is fair at best. Also, after this year, they only have 26 players under contract. Yes they have $90M in CAP but they need to pay Goff - or do they move on? Last but not least = their D is bad - just plain bad. Wade Phillips MO - good 1st yr then regresses every year after. Not saying Sean is not a good HC - but let's hold off the hero parade until his teams actually win something.

LaFleur - Not sure coming from the Titans off is the best endorsement. There is potential there - and I would have been OK if they brought him in to replace Jay. But still, may want to see what his team looks like before lamented what could have been. 

I hear ya, brother!!

I am not among those who are into canning Jay but not living and dying with it one way or another either.  For those that like Gregg (and I know some on the board don't) best case scenario might be hiring him as a D coordinator.  I think this coming season is likely going south and with Gregg on the staff I'd put money he then becomes HC for 2020.   

I thought him and Dan are on the outs but I read from an insider type they patched things up so who knows. 

• Jumbo locked this topic

Archived