Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evaluating Jay Gruden in 2018

Voice_of_Reason

Jay is lucky the division looks to be softer than last year, it will probably be several weeks before we are eliminated from the playoffs.

I would say as soon as that happens its time to move on, I like Jay but he's had plenty of time and his teams have continued to make the same mental mistakes.

He was severely outcoached at the home opener against a 1-4 team and its tough to get over that one.

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

Yeesh. Not the best time to come back after a very busy week. But to be honest, did anyone REALLY expect to have this team come out ready to play the Saints, on Monday Night Football?

If you did, I'm sorry for you. We suck on Monday Nights.

Yeah it was a pretty tall task to ask of a Gruden coached team i guess ?? 

what do the redskins have to do to not be given any more primetime games by the nfl? Just stop!! Enough!!! We are not asking for any. Give them to some other team. 

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yeah it was a pretty tall task to ask of a Gruden coached team i guess ?? 

what do the redskins have to do to not be given any more primetime games by the nfl? Just stop!! Enough!!! We are not asking for any. Give them to some other team. 

This. Give me the 1:00/4:00 Sunday game. No Sunday Night game. No Thursday Night game. Definitely no Monday Night game. Hell, I don't even want the feature Sunday Afternoon game, purely the regional game ONLY.

4 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Yeesh. Not the best time to come back after a very busy week. But to be honest, did anyone REALLY expect to have this team come out ready to play the Saints, on Monday Night Football?

If you did, I'm sorry for you. We suck on Monday Nights.

Yeah, not really, but I was hoping Jay could build on something after the bye week.

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I remember we squeaked out a tight one over a really awful 49ers team last year after the bye. Remembering two years ago is too much to ask of an old man like me.

26-20 win over a Vikings team in the middle of a tailspin.  I think this might have been the ganevthe Vikings didnÂ’t even have enough bodies to have 47 guys active.  

They win 5 to start the season, lost 4 coming into that game, ended at 8-8.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

26-20 win over a Vikings team in the middle of a tailspin.  I think this might have been the ganevthe Vikings didnÂ’t even have enough bodies to have 47 guys active.  

They win 5 to start the season, lost 4 coming into that game, ended at 8-8.

Was Paul Krause on the team? I'm trying to build a mental 8mm to play in my head.

With every coaching hire, I’ve learned to trust my gut. I was sure that Gruden would be mediocre at best, as he lacks his brotherÂ’s fire and a team inherited from Tony Dungy. I was pretty sure that Shanahan would be competent but suffer from his ego and inability to hire competent defensive staff (this, like the common cold, has transferred to Gruden). I donÂ’t know anyone that didnÂ’t think Zorn would be a trainwreck after hearing him speak. I felt similarly about Spurrier, too, after we all learned about his work ethic. Anyway, weÂ’re two years late on firing Gruden. Next coach better be able to play chess and motivate players.

Considering the NFC East looks to be the NFC Least this year, the Skins will probably be in the division race all year.

Thing is, even if we make the playoffs;  this team will be making a quick exit.   Whether that's being a division winner or wild card; the GrudenSkins playoff run will be quick.

Snyder needs to start looking at his potential candidates for next year's coach now.   Playoffs or not, Gruden needs to be sent packing once the season is over.  

Is this another colossal blunder letting McVay walk and keeping Gruden as the HC.  How many terrible losses after 2 weeks to prepare for a game do the fans have to sit and watch?  Allen and Gruden must go ASAP.  Does our talent really stink this bad?   Colts have won 1 game after 5 weeks and that was against us at home, and now this embarrassment of a nationally televised game after a bye week and for a 2 game lead in the NFC East.

Here is what the media said after the game, " Is this your NFC East leader? This?! Coming off of a win over Aaron Rodgers' Packers and a bye week, the division-leading Redskins were out of their depth against the NFC South-pacing Saints. Greg Manusky's defense entered Monday as league leaders in total defense (278) and passing defense (187.3), but Brees and the Saints eclipsed those totals in the first half, splicing and confusing Washington's secondary with everything from play-action screens to simple seams. The Redskins' defense extended early Saints drives with avoidable third-down penalties. Alex Smith was indecisive late on throws all evening and the ones he eventually unfurled often landed off target. Adrian Peterson followed his first 100-yard game of the season with an absolute dud. Nothing went well for the 'Skins, who were run out of the building by halftime. 

Time to face facts....Gruden and Allen will not get us to the playoffs or SB. Also, time for some high priced prima donna's to get traded like Reed and Norman....the latter is definitely not worth the money he's being paid...all mouth and less talent!  Even with losses, Cousin's has been putting up the numbers...another Allen failure.  Eagles and Rams go from last to first in 1 year...Redskins constantly at the bottom. Gruden's comment after the 43-19 loss "we have some things to fix"...don't we always?...all season long year after year?  Fix this … fire Gruden and Allen, before the seats and fanbase totally disappear.

Luckily I never saw this but I’m not surprised. Until the triumvirate of mediocrity Snyder, Allen and Gruden leave IÂ’ll struggle to watch us.

gruden will be fired soon enough and will bounce around jobs before picking up a jets or a bucs job when they have a decent roster and then get shafted in the first round of the playoffs. HeÂ’s mediocrity personified

#1 problem to me always is Dan.  #2 Bruce.  

The thing is if we scapegoat the coach as the problem and not instead zone in IMO to the #1 problem -- it propagates the same cycle again and again.  Shanny, Kyle, McVay - heck even Gibbs return -- all legends as coaches or highly regarded as up and comers/studs when they left.

They had a franchise QB in the house and they couldn't figure out how to keep him.  I like Alex even after last night but to me its easy to see he's a downgrade. They let D. Jax and Garcon go without doing a good job replacing them -- go from one of the best receiving crews in the NFL to one of the weakest.

They talked behind the scenes about how much they can do in FA without being saddled with Kirk's contract.  They got their wish this off season and did almost nothing in FA.  Their main move to "upgrade" their O line is to let Spencer Long go.  didn't really add any depth.  So O line issues -- Lauvao getting banged up again, who could see that coming get out of here.

Now to Jay, yeah I said before the season if it ends up same old same old, 8-8, up down, down up -- I understand if he's fired.  It looks like that so far.  But the season is young.  I'll just say this if we just get rid of another coach and keep Bruce ruling the roost behind the scenes we will get the same old same old.  I've never thought coaching has been the #1 problem with the team under Dan sans Zorn-Spurrier.

1. WonÂ’t try to con you into looking glass half full after this loss. NFC wide open yes. But this is about whether or not they can emerge from the .500 pattern theyÂ’ve been in Do they have the right people whether coaches or players. Do enough have right mindset.

Do u trust that even if they beat the Panthers that this time will be different? Will they ever turn that corner? History tells u one thing no doubt. Gonna take a little streak to convince anyone this year will somehow be different. And gonna take improved play to go on a streak

The evaluating is over, even if thus team makes the playoffs. Gruden will do Jack, if he makes the playoffs.

If the Skins makes the playoffs this year, it's only because the Nfc East sucks this year.

The Skins will never be consistent under Jay. We blow out Carolina, we we will get blown out the following week.

Sunset needs to start looking at potential replacements for 2019. 

8 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Jay is lucky the division looks to be softer than last year, it will probably be several weeks before we are eliminated from the playoffs.

I would say as soon as that happens its time to move on, I like Jay but he's had plenty of time and his teams have continued to make the same mental mistakes.

He was severely outcoached at the home opener against a 1-4 team and its tough to get over that one.

I'd say that Jay is lucky that I'm not Dan Snyder this morning.  If I was, he'd be cleaning out his office

This was so predictable unfortunately. Win-lose-win-lose 8-8. Jay seems to just rest on victories and lays a huge egg on loses. The "I take the Blame" has gotten old. To quote Homer Simpson "Duh". Just WHY is Washington so hard to coach up?? Blown overages, looking like JV and then you get Allen making light of the embarrassment..

I'm done with Jay. He's doesn't engender respect from the team to step it up above mediocrity.

Time to move on from him. There is young talent on the team..time to act before all of them are contaminated with being "Blah"

Honestly..even if he puts some wins together and places in the NFC East...move on. He just does NOT INSPIRE ANY winning attitudes.

This Alex Smith thing is slowly looking like a failure and there's nothing Jay can do about it.  2 of the 3 starting QBs hes been given are making his play calling impossible to look good, and he will get no credit for turning Cousins into a franchise QB.  He should given a chance to draft his guy for once, but it won't happen.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This Alex Smith thing is slowly looking like a failure and there's nothing Jay can do about it.  2 of the 3 starting QBs hes been given are making his play calling impossible to look good, and he will get no credit for turning Cousins into a franchise QB.  He should given a chance to draft his guy for once, but it won't happen.

Heck no. I don't want to give Gruden another three years which is what a new QB would require. He's had five years and he can't even get the basics consistently right. I think, at this point, he is what his record screams.

He's an okay, slightly below average, head coach.

He needs to get this right and stop coasting on excuses. Maximize his talent each week and let's see a team that achieves or even overachieves for once instead of Jekyll and Hyding away seasons, losing laughers, or falling short to bad teams like the Colts or the Giants. When the lights shine brightest, Gruden's teams have packed up and slunk away.

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

From pretty much every source I've read on the story, Jay had nothing to do with the Smith signing.  Neither did Doug.  That was all Bruce, and he did it before consulting with either of them, IIRC.

Archived