Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What did you think your career would be in your teens or 20's

Kosher Ham

I know that many of us have changed and adapted to what we have become today. 

I am curious what you all really thought in Teens or 20's. 

I studied architecture/ science  from about ...7 years old. That was my thing. I have been involved in designing homes, cars, malls, military solar/ communication panels, etc..

All I wanted to do was design houses and cars. The malls and Solar panels... not interested at all. 

I would love to teach... My patience will not allow it these days. 

The next Stephen King. I've always been fascinated by horror (and all of it's elements) and the bridge between it and the world of science fiction.

But when you realize that it takes s monumental amount of commitment to reach that level, you just start to turn your eye to the  quick cash,  especially as an impatient youngin'.

Still write from time to time, though

18 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I thought I would be some sort of engineer.

Started working in automotive in high school and haven’t changed since.

An extension of the school ? I love that and sometime wish I knew more about that field. I know the basics... but with the newer tech... lost. 

Engineering was one of my thoughts... but in my days an engineer was a handy man. Guy that would fix places up at apartments.  

15 minutes ago, tshile said:

I thought I'd be a programmer for a video game studio

then I realized that job sucks.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

The next Stephen King. I've always been fascinated by horror (and all of it's elements) and the bridge between it and the world of science fiction.

But when you realize that it takes s monumental amount of commitment to reach that level, you just start to turn your eye to the  quick cash,  especially as an impatient youngin'.

Still write from time to time, though

@tshile,

I grew up knowing all types of music and can't play one single instrument on a higher level to save my life. 

I should clarify and state that I can play several... none of them to the level of expectation that I hold for myself. 

@Mr. Sinister,  I have considered many times writing a book about my family and their happenstances.  I find myself at odds about telling the story they should have told.  

1 minute ago, Kosher Ham said:

@tshile,

I grew up knowing all types of music and can't play one single instrument on a higher level to save my life. 

I should clarify and state that I can play several... none of them to the level of expectation that I hold for myself. 

i can play a bunch of instruments. through learning them i've come across countless people that could also do that, but do it well.  i was never one of those people, but i accepted it and just enjoy my (lack of) talent for what it is :)

i have a guitar at home i just started learning like 2 years ago. i love it. i would never play it around anyone other than my wife and child. they're too nice to tell me to find a new hobby.

with programming it just turns out that the video game industry sucks. it's a constant grind and you end up jobless after so long, not necessarily because you did anything wrong but because that's the way the industry works. even the people i know in it that are good at what they do and enjoy it are looking for a new job and moving every few years. i don't want that. 

6 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

An extension of the school ? I love that and sometime wish I knew more about that field. I know the basics... but with the newer tech... lost. 

Engineering was one of my thoughts... but in my days an engineer was a handy man. Guy that would fix places up at apartments.  

Actually, I never had any formal automotive schooling.  I started as a full service gas attendant in high school.  I’d pump gas for little old ladies and check their oil and such.  Did a stint as an oil chnger, then when I was in college (studying for whatever kind of engineer I could be, never made it) I got a management position at my auto shop.  Worked nights and weekends while in school.  Then I eventually dropped out because of bad grades, although my career had already started unbeknownst to me.

Now I have more automotive and business knowledge than I thought I’d ever have.  Worked out ok in the end, even if I’d rather never work on a car again in my life.

It helps that I’m naturally handy I suppose.

Ive only worked for one company my whole life.  From age 16-35.  Almost 20 years.

When I was in 8th grade, I thought I'd be a teacher and I did teach school for 11 years-both public and private.  I now do a job that I didn't even know existed when I was in 8th grade.  Software Tester.  Still miss teaching, just not all the extra "stuff" that goes along with it.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

The next Stephen King.

He still lives in Ogunquit ,Maine . You can still do that. My ex spoke with him a couple times. 

I also say comedic things out loud sometimes.  So people get it, some folks don't. 

I thought I was going to join the Army, and die in combat.  For reals, I had a feeling my entire life that I would never make it to 25, having died in combat in some far off place.  

I joined the Army in 1998, and was training for an overseas deployment when 9/11 happened.  I was slated (I volunteered) to be in the first wave (regular wave, not SF) into Afghanistan, but at the last minute I was deemed "mission critical" for Kosovo.  I had accepted that I would be one of the first fatalities of the war. Got all my affairs in order...

I spent the war feeling a little like Lt Dan, like I had been robbed of my birthright.  Now I'm 40 with a daughter and couldn't be happier.

Geez. I was always the dreamer back then. The very example of "Nothing comes from dreamers,but dreams." ;)  Football player,artist,computer programmer,(what I joined the Air Force to try and do...swing and a miss),anything but what I ended up doing for the closest thing to a career I've had in my life. A carpenter. Builder. 14+ years and would have been more had it not been for the big crash. Despite the somewhat drastic work environments at times,I enjoyed it and still do. Though it does place second to the photography. :)

Early teens I thought pro football or a forest ranger, instead I'm like Springfield and one employer since 1971.

One of these days I'm gonna fire myself and have to fill out a job application. :bye:

In my twenties I wanted quite badly to work for the CIA as an analyst and then maybe gradually work over to State Department. Studied languages, picked my Masters program because it included an internship overseas. If I had applied straight out of college in 89, I think I would have got in, but getting a graduate degree meant applying in 92 after the wall came down and just as the government was changing from GOP to Dem.

BA in French with a minor in geography, Master of International Business, studied French, Italian, Spanish and German...and I'm a programmer for a recycling company in GA.

Record/CD store owner, which I was a partner in one. Got out of that just in the nick of time then tried to be an actual paid musician, which I was, if you count splitting something usually around $100 and free beer between 5 people once a week or so, while working dead end jobs during the days. "Have fun while you're young, work hard when you get older" sounded brilliant at the time. 

In my teens I had no idea.  After college I used my microbiology degree to get a lab job in biotech.  Then transitioned to regulatory affairs.  While I find the science aspect intriguing, the regulatory aspect is a bit dryer.  I quit my job recently and don't know what I want to do now, although if I can swing it it will be something local and part time, as the financial considerations aren't paramount at this point.

I wanted to be an engineer when I was a kid and teen. I never took the path to become one though...at the time I thought it just "happened", like magic. In college I did art (painting), then poli-sci, then switched back to art. Got out of school and lucked into a Quality Control job at a metal manufacturing facility back home (completely out of my major). Now with a govt contractor doing QA/QC and supporting engineers for military aircraft stuffs. So yeah, magic!

Archived