Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

11 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

I should maybe have said that it can be tough to let go. I'm not particularly concerned about keeping him at a very high cap hit. I would prefer they use the cap expense on other things, but he's in an audition year to make the coaches and us reconsider that approach.

I get that. I just don't think it'll be much of an audition. I don't think he'll get too much as a FA either. I think he's shown about all he's going to show. 

• Like 1

Crowder could go to a team with a quality QB and an offensive scheme that's been in place for centuries and just blow up huge. That's more a comment on those teams than it is on Crowder, though. But I'm positive a lot of GMs and coaches are looking at Crowder's possible FA status and already thinking of how they could use his talents.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Crowder could go to a team with a quality QB and an offensive scheme that's been in place for centuries and just blow up huge. That's more a comment on those teams than it is on Crowder, though. But I'm positive a lot of GMs and coaches are looking at Crowder's possible FA status and already thinking of how they could use his talents.

Oh stop it already. We all know he's just about ready to don the Patriots' garb, and go nuts. (or does that have to be Quinn cuz, reasons?) :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I get that. I just don't think it'll be much of an audition. I don't think he'll get too much as a FA either. I think he's shown about all he's going to show. 

I’m curious why you seem down on Crowder.  He played very well his first two years, then had a down year (statistically still pretty good, but had issues with drops and fumbles).  But, IIRC, you didn’t watch much last year (his down year)... so again, why so down on him?

To be clear, I think letting him walk is the smart move.  We have a potential replacement and other priorities money-wise.  

BTW, thought this was pretty cool, even though it came before the 2017 season.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000776994/article/jamison-crowder-leads-top10-slot-receiver-separation%3fnetworkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league-t;team%3Dphi;team%3Dmia;team%3Dwas;team%3Ddal;team%3Dmin;team%3Dsea;conf%3Dnfc;conf%3Dafc;dvsn%3Dnce;dvsn%3Dace;dvsn%3Dncn;dvsn%3Dncw;plyr%3Dpierre_garcon;plyr%3Ddesean_jackson;plyr%3Ddrew_brees&p.ct=Next%2bGen%2bStats&p.adsm=true&p.tcm=%23000&p.bgc1m=%23EAEAEA&sr=amp

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

I’m curious why you seem down on Crowder.  He played very well his first two years, then had a down year (statistically still pretty good, but had issues with drops and fumbles).  But, IIRC, you didn’t watch much last year (his down year)... so again, why so down on him?

To be clear, I think letting him walk is the smart move.  We have a potential replacement and other priorities money-wise.  

BTW, thought this was pretty cool, even though it came before the 2017 season.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000776994/article/jamison-crowder-leads-top10-slot-receiver-separation%3fnetworkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league-t;team%3Dphi;team%3Dmia;team%3Dwas;team%3Ddal;team%3Dmin;team%3Dsea;conf%3Dnfc;conf%3Dafc;dvsn%3Dnce;dvsn%3Dace;dvsn%3Dncn;dvsn%3Dncw;plyr%3Dpierre_garcon;plyr%3Ddesean_jackson;plyr%3Ddrew_brees&p.ct=Next%2bGen%2bStats&p.adsm=true&p.tcm=%23000&p.bgc1m=%23EAEAEA&sr=amp

When we had actual starting WRs he was doing well. When it was just him, nothing but injuries and drops. He's injured now right? 

My name is Jamison. I love yelling go Jamo at the TV. I wish I thought he was good. :ols:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If the receiving corps is "beginning to shape up" as the title suggests, does that mean they will suffer no injuries, due to that exceptional conditioning and training ?

Wouldn't that just shock the crap right out of all. It's amazing any of us can see any plays, when after every snap, our eyes close a bit as we cringe for the shattering impact of a player. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

It's amazing any of us can see any plays, when after every snap, our eyes close a bit as we cringe for the shattering impact of a player. 

That's why there's so much arguing.

Some people have their eyes closed, and didn't see the whole play.

I kid :)

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Yeah I definitely have Harris and Sims over Quick. 

We should get a dose of Reed/Crowder/Doctson in the third game???  Haven't heard of any of those guys being out have you??

Crowder is now a Maybe.

Sims, Quick, and Harris are all OUT.

So, we could be without 4 of our top 7 WR's, and that's not even including Reed, of course.

• Thanks 1

I am not concerned about the Receivers or anyone available being able to move chains.  I think we see predominantly a rushing offense to sort that out.  Should be interesting to see a run first offense and how it may play out with opening up space for a secondary passing game.  

• Like 1

From Gruden’s presser today:

On the decision to keep WR Brian Quick over WR Cam Sims:

"I don’t know. I think I like them both. There’s a lot to like about both those guys and, you know, we could possibly keep them both. We’ll wait and see and hopefully one of them gets better or both of them get better so we can make the right decision."

Last year’s pre-season, I thought Davis outplayed Quick but Jay went with Quick on the final 53. Luckily, Davis survived the practice squad. This year, I don’t think Cam Sims would survive the PS as I think he gets picked up. I hope that if it comes down to it, he chooses Sims over Quick. 

Edited by JaxJoe
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

"I don’t know. I think I like them both. There’s a lot to like about both those guys and, you know, we could possibly keep them both. We’ll wait and see and hopefully one of them gets better or both of them get better so we can make the right decision."

Last year’s pre-season, I thought Davis outplayed Quick but Jay went with Quick on the final 53. Luckily, Davis survived the practice squad. This year, I don’t think Cam Sims would survive the PS as I think he gets picked up. I hope that if ot comes down to it, he chooses Sims over Quick. 

Hopefully its coach speak more than anything. At this point in time we clearly know what Quick is.He's had 6 years in the league. No one wants to pay him more than the veteran's minimum. Even the Redskins barely played him last year despite injuries and ineffectiveness at the WR position. So I can't fathom keeping Quick over a player with any upside at this point. But I guess we'll see...

• Like 2

What does Jay Gruden have against Cam Sims?  He's been the most outstanding receiver in preseason.  Jay shows favoritism towards players that don't have the impact this team needs.  Why is his talent evaluation so bad?

Edited by Vanguard

On 8/26/2018 at 9:56 PM, JaxJoe said:

Last year’s pre-season, I thought Davis outplayed Quick but Jay went with Quick on the final 53. Luckily, Davis survived the practice squad. This year, I don’t think Cam Sims would survive the PS as I think he gets picked up. I hope that if it comes down to it, he chooses Sims over Quick. 

Agreed... for a guy that made little difference last year, Jay sure seems to be giving Quick an awful lot of praise. My hope is that it's coach speak and he already knows Sims is the player with way higher upside.

7 hours ago, Vanguard said:

What does Jay Gruden have against Cam Sims?  He's been the most outstanding receiver in preseason.  Jay shows favoritism towards players that don't have the impact this team needs.  Why is his talent evaluation so bad?

I heard Jay say on the radio that Cam has great skills but he's got a lot to learn regarding route running etc.  He's just not there yet. As for Crowder he is the only receiver on this team who has been productive.  Calling Trey Quinn a suitable replacement is beyond a reach, Crowder came out of that draft as the best route runner.  

• Like 1

Just a thought on Sims making the 53. The fact that he was held out of the game against Denver with what I believe was a bruised leg might signal that they are planning on keeping him on the 53 man roster. He suffered that injury late in the Jets game, yet still went back in on the final drive to make a critical catch to set up the game winning field goal. Viewed in that light maybe he has shown enough and playing hurt would prolong his injury and ultimately availability for the regular season. Sims looks like a special talent that we can cultivate. I really don't remember the last time we had a WR that I was this excited about. Rod Gardner or The Comb come to mind, but we know how that played out.  

Sounds to me that even if Sims makes the 53, he wouldn't likely be seeing much action, and that they feel he's not developed enough to trust yet. 

So why not I.R. him with some silly injury claim and make sure he stays in DC? I'm good with them making a spot on the 53 for him, but just saying, I.R. stashing is an option.