Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

On 9/22/2020 at 10:19 AM, Riggo#44 said:

Is this our great hope? Cody Latimer? Oh what trying times...next thing we know passing roughians will be saying "ni" to old ladies.

I'd take a hard run at Juju Smith Schuster in FA. The Steelers have some cap issues, currently projected about $16m over the cap. Chris Godwin is also a FA, but TB has about $28m in space. And the Eagles (~64$m over) and Saints (a whopping $79m over) are wholly ****ed ...and the Eagles have Dallas Goeddert...which means Zach "What's His Ass" Ertz might be available...

I think you're on the money with Ertz. He is frustrated with contract talks and I can see him being available for trade. He'd be great for DH and the offense as a whole with his ability to get open all over the field. A solid TE is a huge missing piece right now. Get one of those and the WR group improves based on less attention being paid to them with more going towards the TE. 

On 9/22/2020 at 9:19 AM, Riggo#44 said:

Is this our great hope? Cody Latimer? Oh what trying times...next thing we know passing roughians will be saying "ni" to old ladies.

I'd take a hard run at Juju Smith Schuster in FA. The Steelers have some cap issues, currently projected about $16m over the cap. Chris Godwin is also a FA, but TB has about $28m in space. And the Eagles (~64$m over) and Saints (a whopping $79m over) are wholly ****ed ...and the Eagles have Dallas Goeddert...which means Zach "What's His Ass" Ertz might be available...

I think it is very likely that Ertz will be a free agent, maybe even a guy that gets traded near the deadline this season.  I think there was tension between him and Philly because he wanted a contract extension.  Philly is way over the cap next season, and I don't see any way that they pay Ertz with Goddart being the future there.  I don't know much about Ertz blocking, but he would help out as a pass catcher.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 11:37 AM, PartyPosse said:

Basically the entire offseason added absolutely nothing to the offense. Gibson isn’t much right now, AGG isn’t doing anything, Charles is barely practicing, Logan Thomas can’t catch. Meanwhile Trent Williams and Jordan Reed are playing well and AD is still looking productive in Detroit. Our veteran wr pick ups, Latimer is a discount Plaxico Burress and Inman is a discount Latimer.

Looking at what transpired with Houston trading so much for Tunsil last season, then trading Hopkins for so little, it seems like such a missed opportunity for both the Texans and the WFT.  Both Houston and Washington could have come out better if they had been able to find a way to make a deal with Williams and Hopkins as the main pieces.  If I was an NFL GM, I would be talking to Houston about every week, just to see if they have decided to do something crazy.  It sounds like they didn't even look for a better offer for Hopkins.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cardinals-acquired-deandre-hopkins-ron-141250361.html

• Sad 1

If both Ward and Williams miss this week’s game for the Browns along with a few of their pass rushers, this has the potential to be a big opportunity for the WR core to make some strides. If there was ever a week where they could get reliably open, this would be it.

Be great to see a little “life” out of our core outside of Turbo (Zombie Pun)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I think we need to see Isaiah Wright out there over Inman, and where necessary over Sims. Would like to give him a shot. It isnt like we dont need the help. Let's go Scott, if guys arent ready to contribute (AGG, Inman) lets see if Wright can make something happen please.  Got nothing to lose.

well we activated Cam Sims off the PS over Wright so we must not have been impressed with him. 

But Sims has used his two games so we might get to see Wright

TE's are too slow to get open for that Haskins line drive pass. 

Pass protection is poor.  WFT needs a high draft pick LT and FA starter to compete.

Haskins unable to play with instincts. No pocket instinct and bad mechanics combined with inexperience. 

Nearly impossible to access receiver depth and QB ceiling until they have the ability to pass protect sufficiently.

The same conditions apply for the running game. 

Clearly Haskins is being directed to not lose the game, resulting in slow starts, tentative decision making. 

Maybe a little too much Alex Smith.

Edited by TheShredder

3 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Pass protection is poor.  WFT needs a high draft pick LT and FA starter to compete.

So, take it for what it's worth, but Cooley in his film breakdown actually graded the pass protection as pretty good against the Cardinals.  He heaped a ton of blame on Haskins for making the line look worse than it was.  A la what people were saying about the pass protection when Griffin didn't know what he was doing, then Cousins came in, and with his quicker, more decisive delivery, amazingly, the protection was better.  Shrug.  I don't know.  But that's what Cooley said.

I am really bummed about Harmon.  I thought he had a real chance this year to develop.  AGG is going to take a while.  Imnan is just a dude.  Sims is ok, but not elite.  At least not yet.

The TEs are below average.

That said, what I was expecting, and haven't seen, am confused why I haven't seen, and wondering when we will see, is more designed throws short to the running backs.  Especially over the middle.  They've thrown some wheel routes, but to me, those are harder throws.  I am really surprised we aren't seeing 10-15 throws to Gibson/McKissic on little dumpoffs, screens, or short passes in the middle of the field per game. Essentially an extended handoff.  Easy throw/catch.  

That kindof replaces what you would normally get from a TE.  Then you can work the deep stuff with Terry, and the slot with Sims.  

I'm confused why we haven't seen that, because I think it could make even our very average WRs look a little better.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So, take it for what it's worth, but Cooley in his film breakdown actually graded the pass protection as pretty good against the Cardinals.  He heaped a ton of blame on Haskins for making the line look worse than it was.  A la what people were saying about the pass protection when Griffin didn't know what he was doing, then Cousins came in, and with his quicker, more decisive delivery, amazingly, the protection was better.  Shrug.  I don't know.  But that's what Cooley said.

I am really bummed about Harmon.  I thought he had a real chance this year to develop.  AGG is going to take a while.  Imnan is just a dude.  Sims is ok, but not elite.  At least not yet.

The TEs are below average.

That said, what I was expecting, and haven't seen, am confused why I haven't seen, and wondering when we will see, is more designed throws short to the running backs.  Especially over the middle.  They've thrown some wheel routes, but to me, those are harder throws.  I am really surprised we aren't seeing 10-15 throws to Gibson/McKissic on little dumpoffs, screens, or short passes in the middle of the field per game. Essentially an extended handoff.  Easy throw/catch.  

That kindof replaces what you would normally get from a TE.  Then you can work the deep stuff with Terry, and the slot with Sims.  

I'm confused why we haven't seen that, because I think it could make even our very average WRs look a little better.

I completely respect Cooley's breakdowns.  He's top notch. 
Haskins growing pains I guess, but Turner being a rookie OC might not have been the wisest decision.  It's appearing like River Boat Ron screwed everybody on that one.  He better put his big boy panties on this week.

3 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Haskins growing pains I guess, but Turner being a rookie OC might not have been the wisest decision.  It's appearing like River Boat Ron screwed everybody on that one.  He better put his big boy panties on this week.

Turner was the OC in Carolina for a lot of last year.

• Haha 2

This is an 8 or 9 man position group that, realistically, needs at least 6 new players turned over within the next two years or so to get good.  Our TEs aren't just below average, they are sub-replacement level.  They should not be getting a lot of snaps for an NFL team.  Inman is a 5th receiver playing a #2 role.  Our OL is full of mid to late round projects without Scherff, and to make matters worse, our RB group took a major hit to its talent level when we cut Guice and Peterson.  Now we're rotating a pair of career back up journeymen with a rookie who is a former JUCO WR recently converted to the position, and who doesn't really know how to play it yet.

The supporting cast around our QB is absolute trash and we'll probably turn over 80% of our offensive depth chart within the next two offseasons.  Dwayne's playing with two other guys on offense who are good enough to start for a decent team, Moses and McLaurin.  We are starting from scratch.  We've got some lottery tickets at RB in Gibson and Love.  And we've got some mid-round some projects who might pan out long term on the OL in Christian, Ismael, and Charles.  But we really have nothing at all worth developing at WR and TE except for Sims and maybe Gandy Golden.  Frustrating because we just came out of two historic WR classes and only have McLaurin to show for it.  Fixing this group will take more than draft picks, we're going to have to get lucky in free agency.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is an 8 or 9 man position group that, realistically, needs at least 6 new players turned over within the next two years or so to get good.  Our TEs aren't just below average, they are sub-replacement level.  They should not be getting a lot of snaps for an NFL team.  Inman is a 5th receiver playing a #2 role.  Our OL is full of mid to late round projects without Scherff, and to make matters worse, our RB group took a major hit to its talent level when we cut Guice and Peterson.  Now we're rotating a pair of career back up journeymen with a rookie who is a former JUCO WR recently converted to the position, and who doesn't really know how to play it yet.

The supporting cast around our QB is absolute trash and we'll probably turn over 80% of our offensive depth chart within the next two offseasons.  Dwayne's playing with two other guys on offense who are good enough to start for a decent team, Moses and McLaurin.  We are starting from scratch.  We've got some lottery tickets at RB in Gibson and Love.  And we've got some mid-round some projects who might pan out long term on the OL in Christian, Ismael, and Charles.  But we really have nothing at all worth developing at WR and TE except for Sims and maybe Gandy Golden.  Frustrating because we just came out of two historic WR classes and only have McLaurin to show for it.  Fixing this group will take more than draft picks, we're going to have to get lucky in free agency.

Doubt Detroit lets him test FA, but Galloday would be my #1 target (Chris Godwin isn't going anywhere as well).  Corey Davis might be the best WR that is actually free next off-season.

15 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Doubt Detroit lets him test FA, but Galloday would be my #1 target (Chris Godwin isn't going anywhere as well).  Corey Davis might be the best WR that is actually free next off-season.

We need to be sniffing around players whose teams are about to get crunched by a drastically reduced cap.  It's a little unlikely to see good players who will be worth a fairly big contract at the WR position become available, but the next offseason could be a unique opportunity for finding guys like that.  Maybe the cap doesn't really drop much, but it's something to hope for anyway.  Signing Golloday or Godwin would be an amazing stroke of luck for us.

3 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Eh, the other obvious choice was KOC and he would have been a rookie OC as well.  

And Turner worked with a bunch of young QBs.

They also didn’t have the benefit of any off season or preseason.  

Shrug.  I think it’s way to soon to pass judgement on anybody.  

• Like 1