Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

Has anybody been watching the all-22s of these games?  Because, after seeing that Smith INT with our 4th/5th string WR running wide open, I'm curious if guys are winning and getting more open play to play than we give them credit for. 

Cuz if Smith is just not gonna throw people the ball, it's gonna make folks look like they suck.  At least more than they already might.  

Even that Richardson catch in the 1st quarter that got it inside the 10 was a guy going up and making a play.  But Smith is averse to throwing that ball normally and just checking down. 

Richardson has had a couple of those where he made a play when given the opportunity to do so.  50% of this is you gotta simply give people a chance and throw them the ball.  Smith, historically, just wont do it.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

Didn't the Vikings pick up Aldrick Robinson a couple weeks ago due to needing another WR?

Now, I know Aldrick isn't a world beater, but he is at least as good or better than any one on this team.   How was he not looked at brought in instead of the draft bust guy and Floyd?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Didn't the Vikings pick up Aldrick Robinson a couple weeks ago due to needing another WR?

Now, I know Aldrick isn't a world beater, but he is at least as good or better than any one on this team.   How was he not looked at brought in instead of the draft bust guy and Floyd?

I dont know if I share that assessment of Mr. Robinson. 

There's probably a dozen guys strolling the FA market I woulda gone through before hitting the "we shoulda brought in Aldrick Robinson" stage.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, justice98 said:

Has anybody been watching the all-22s of these games?  Because, after seeing that Smith INT with our 4th/5th string WR running wide open, I'm curious if guys are winning and getting more open lay to play than we give them credit for. 

Cuz if Smith is just not gonna throw people the ball, it's gonna make folks look like they suck.  At least more than they already might.  

Even that Richardson catch in the 1st quarter thwt got it inside the 10 was a guy going up and making a play.  But Smith is averse to throwing that ball normally and just checking down. 

Richardson has had a couple of those where he made a play when given the opportunity to do so.  50% of this is you gotta simply give people a chance and throw them the ball.  Smith, historically, just wont do it.

Curious about this as well. I haven't had a chance to watch the All-22 yet but it's something I'd like to do if I can find the time. I wouldn't be all that surprised if guys are getting a bit more open than we give them credit for. Now, that doesn't mean they're playing great...but I think it's at least possible that there's a bit more of the WR production on Alex than some are thinking in this thread. I find that especially possible given how few targets Reed got on Monday. A healthy Jordan Reed only getting 2 targets (IIRC) is borderline criminal. And we KNOW that the dude is great at route running and getting separation when he isn't playing hurt.

1 hour ago, thebeermonkey said:

A better head coach would help. 

You gonna Blame Gruden for the INT in the 3rd? That was a great call, Harris was WIDE OPEN!!!! That was as TD and Smith waited 30 years to throw the ball and then "meh''d it..Im trying to remember when I saw such a bad pass. Kirk had a couple of bad picks but I never saw one where he had a guy so open and then not only did he fail to pull the trigger on time but then threw it no one near the receivers vicinity..

BTW about this week, who the hell is gonna start at receiver??? PRich has ANOTHER injury, Crowder has an ankle issue, I guess Doctson will play ( whoopie) I know Floyd isn't ready Harris is idk and Quick is just there..

Just to establish an idea of how bad our passing game is- I know we are a game behind but here's where we stand heading into week 6....

Redskins WRs (Richardson, Crowder, Docston) 2018 receptions so far = 31

Saquon Barkley RB 2018 receptions so far = 31

Josh Docston 2018 receptions so far = 5

Alfred Morris RB 2018 receptions so far = 6

Redskins TEs (Reed, Davis) 2018 receptions so far = 21

Austin Hooper TE, Atlanta (Who the fook is this guy?) 2018 receptions so far = 21

Friends, we're screwed.

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, justice98 said:

There's probably a dozen guys strolling the FA market I woulda gone through before hitting the "we shoulda brought in Aldrick Robinson" stage.

Aldrick isn't the best WR around but he can run a fly route and get behind a safety.  That is something this group lacks.  

I'm not sure where to look at a list of FAs, though.  Curious to see what other receivers are out there.

16 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

You gonna Blame Gruden for the INT in the 3rd? That was a great call, Harris was WIDE OPEN!!!! That was as TD and Smith waited 30 years to throw the ball and then "meh''d it..Im trying to remember when I saw such a bad pass. Kirk had a couple of bad picks but I never saw one where he had a guy so open and then not only did he fail to pull the trigger on time but then threw it no one near the receivers vicinity..

BTW about this week, who the hell is gonna start at receiver??? PRich has ANOTHER injury, Crowder has an ankle issue, I guess Doctson will play ( whoopie) I know Floyd isn't ready Harris is idk and Quick is just there..

Harris was wide open on that play for first down and possibly TD.  Completely Smith's fault  But, I wasn't wild about the play calling on 3rd and 4th downs on this drive.  We had 3rd and 2 at the Saints' 31 yard line, down by 20 points.  Clearly four down territory here, so seems like would've been better to run it on 3rd to get the first down, or if you miss, run it again on 4th.   If you can't get 2 yards on two running plays, you don't deserve a first down anyways. 

Instead, deep pass to Vernon Davis on 3rd falls incomplete.   And then on 4th, Smith dropped back about 10 yards and rolled out on a slow developing play.  Again, Smith's fault here . . . but I wasn't wild about how Gruden did either.     

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

So Jay told reporters yesterday that Doctson's heel injury will linger for the rest of season.

Really? These are the quotes from his presser yesterday. Doesn't sound like he thought it would linger for the season:

On the long term effects of WR Josh Doctson's injury:

"I don’t know if it's anything, it's just a nagging deal I think. If you think about a swollen heel or a sore heel, every time you put your shoe on and run, it's going to be a nagging type deal. I don’t think it's anything that will keep him out of the lineup for the next few weeks, but it will be something that he's got to a get a new shoe probably and something to work with and deal with."

On if the injury was aggravated in practice:

"Yeah, he got kicked in practice, couldn’t get his shoe on until Thursday I think it was, so he wasn’t able to practice Thursday or Friday and then Saturday he started feeling a little bit better. Sunday he said he felt pretty good, but he didn’t do any practice and I wasn’t quite sold, so we kept him out last week."

3 hours ago, Chachie said:

Friends, we're screwed.

It gets worse. Richardson missed practice. As did Crowder for the portion of practice that the media could see. Doctson had tape on the heel of his shoe. Maybe it was toilet paper.

I could, but I won't, go there.

I look for a healthy dose of passing game posse decoys Quick Harris and Floyd. Also known as, Alex Smith's's WR's.

I am still get a laugh out of Jay trying to throw a curve ball at the Saints DC by having Floyd out for the first play.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

So, I hear this guy named Dez Bryant is still available. I'm not sure if it would matter much, but maybe Dez would yell at Smith enough so that Smith would feel like he HAD to involve him some. Just a thought.

At this point it's hard to understand why we havent at least brought him in to talk.  I have always been against it, but at this point?  Why not even talk... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

At this point it's hard to understand why we havent at least brought him in to talk.  I have always been against it, but at this point?  Why not even talk... 

Same here. I was against it originally, but over time, I'm not at the point where the supposed "negative" parts he brings, we actually need too.

We need to have a guy that is not a apathetic loser. We need to have guys get ****ing angry when they get their ass handed to them on National T.V.

We probably need a guy to scream at the QB to throw him the ****ing ball, because targeting the RB 30 times a game is not going to get you many wins.

Yeah, we probably need that stuff, as well as a guy that can actually play the position. Unlike Josh Doctson.

18 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Same here. I was against it originally, but over time, I'm not at the point where the supposed "negative" parts he brings, we actually need too.

We need to have a guy that is not a apathetic loser. We need to have guys get ****ing angry when they get their ass handed to them on National T.V.

We probably need a guy to scream at the QB to throw him the ****ing ball, because targeting the RB 30 times a game is not going to get you many wins.

Yeah, we probably need that stuff, as well as a guy that can actually play the position. Unlike Josh Doctson.

Part of me agrees.   I don't want it in public, on MNF where the world can see it, but in the meeting rooms, on the practice field, and in the locker room between quarters.  Someone who can say "Alex, I GOT YOU, look my way"  A guy who actually appears to have the confidence in himself that we all seem to look for Alex to have in them.  This is part of the reason I want to see Floyd run with the first team all week and start.  He's got some fire to him.  He's never been on Dez' level, but he's been a productive player in this league.  We almost needed to follow the example of the Ravens.  Chris Moore (who? exactly) is the only WR on their roster who was on the team last year... and that includes a 1st round pick.  Crowder is a free agent after this year, and the rest of the guys on the team are JAGs.  I love Mo Harris, but he's not likely to take that next step and be a threat.  If it aint gettin done on the field, somethin needs to change, because I think we're beyond holding out hope that it's available through internal development.  If Richardson is the only guy here next year thats on the current 53... I can't say i'd be upset about it...  

5 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Part of me agrees.   I don't want it in public, on MNF where the world can see it, but in the meeting rooms, on the practice field, and in the locker room between quarters.  Someone who can say "Alex, I GOT YOU, look my way"  A guy who actually appears to have the confidence in himself that we all seem to look for Alex to have in them.  This is part of the reason I want to see Floyd run with the first team all week and start.  He's got some fire to him.  He's never been on Dez' level, but he's been a productive player in this league.  We almost needed to follow the example of the Ravens.  Chris Moore (who? exactly) is the only WR on their roster who was on the team last year... and that includes a 1st round pick.  Crowder is a free agent after this year, and the rest of the guys on the team are JAGs.  I love Mo Harris, but he's not likely to take that next step and be a threat.  If it aint gettin done on the field, somethin needs to change, because I think we're beyond holding out hope that it's available through internal development.  If Richardson is the only guy here next year thats on the current 53... I can't say i'd be upset about it...  

But what if the problem isn't necessarily the WR corps but the QB and the coaching? 

Just a thought.

Just now, bird_1972 said:

But what if the problem isn't necessarily the WR corps but the QB and the coaching? 

Just a thought.

It may be.. I'm not saying the 'WHOLE' problem is the WR corps... but both Smith and Gruden have been very comfortable utilizing WRs when the talent has been out there... look at the offense we ran when we had Jackson / Garcon... 2 1000 yard WRs.  Gruden didnt just FORGET how to scheme plays.  Look at Smith's stats with Maclin, T. Hill, and Crabtree... all 1000 yd WRs with Smith at QB.  He didn't just forget how to find an open WR.  When Smith and Gruden have had confidence in their WRs, they've used them.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Good coaches use receivers well and get production out of them. We have guys who barely get open and get nowhere near 100 yards.

Edited by thebeermonkey

3 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

Really? These are the quotes from his presser yesterday. Doesn't sound like he thought it would linger for the season:

On the long term effects of WR Josh Doctson's injury:

"I don’t know if it's anything, it's just a nagging deal I think. If you think about a swollen heel or a sore heel, every time you put your shoe on and run, it's going to be a nagging type deal. I don’t think it's anything that will keep him out of the lineup for the next few weeks, but it will be something that he's got to a get a new shoe probably and something to work with and deal with."

On if the injury was aggravated in practice:

"Yeah, he got kicked in practice, couldn’t get his shoe on until Thursday I think it was, so he wasn’t able to practice Thursday or Friday and then Saturday he started feeling a little bit better. Sunday he said he felt pretty good, but he didn’t do any practice and I wasn’t quite sold, so we kept him out last week."

I didn't listen to the presser, that was a direct quote from Grant Paulsen today on his show, he said Jay told a reporter that the injury would linger. 

I'm too disgusted with the team to listen to Jay, Alex, or any other player's pressers so just listening to a few podcasts but I'm not taking in the normal content I typically would.

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t see Alex Smith clamoring for Dez Bryant at this point.  It’s week 6, it’s not going to be plug and play.  He doesn’t trust the WR’s he’s been practicing with.

Would you want to come here so you can be targeted 3 times a game? 

I'm not sure Dez would still be open to being a Redskin.

Edited by JSSkinz

52 minutes ago, thebeermonkey said:

Good coaches use receivers well and get production out of them. We have guys who barely get open and get nowhere near 100 yards.

So what do you call it when we had Garcon, DJax and Crowder and almost all 3 of them going for 1,000 yards a piece a couple years ago?? I'm guessing Gruden had nothing to do with that right??

On 10/10/2018 at 4:37 PM, justice98 said:

He’s got 2 TDS thus far.