Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

9 minutes ago, Gibbsisgod2006 said:

I like Kirk I think is a good QB he's a one the best of the good QB's but he's not a franchise QB in  my opinion.

I disagree but that’s fine.  Almost like political party affiliation.  But after decades of watching football I could see that Cousins had the right stuff.  He may not be top 5 but he is definitely a top 10 and that is a franchise quarterback IMO.  I used to scream at the TV when RG3 played for him to throw the ball because he took too long then I saw the quick release with Cousins and knew immediately who was better.  I guess I am not the only one because some of the best minds in the NFL are desperately pursuing him now.  Doesn’t matter what you or I think since we really don’t know the game as well as the coaches and GM.

21 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That’s a big if.

I think it’s fair to say there is a vast difference between perfect and what’s going on in Ashburn to say the least.

Never argued the disparity between Ashburn and the rest of the NFL, but Kirk seems to be a control freak looking for perfect situations is deflating. So not a Big IF. 

Some people say it is what it is, I say it is what you make it. Kirk making it impossible. 

1 hour ago, Gibbsisgod2006 said:

I agree for the most part but Chris Thompson alluded that Kirk didn't want to be here as well during an interview with Chris and Kevin so hearing it from Dhall doesn't seem that shocking that Kirk didn't want to be here.

We were a 7-9 9-7 team with Kirk...

But you likely have an additional 4 yrs to continue to build the team around him.  Something both QBs need to be successful.  

11 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

I disagree but that’s fine.  Almost like political party affiliation.  But after decades of watching football I could see that Cousins had the right stuff.  He may not be top 5 but he is definitely a top 10 and that is a franchise quarterback IMO.  I used to scream at the TV when RG3 played for him to throw the ball because he took too long then I saw the quick release with Cousins and knew immediately who was better.  I guess I am not the only one because some of the best minds in the NFL are desperately pursuing him now.  Doesn’t matter what you or I think since we really don’t know the game as well as the coaches and GM.

He may have some traits of a franchise QB but he's missing one key ingredient and that is being clutch. Look at the Giants game or how he chose to throw to Doctson instead of Reed at the end of the KC game. KC is good at times but I think he was a stat collector which bolstered his numbers.

23 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Never argued the disparity between Ashburn and the rest of the NFL, but Kirk seems to be a control freak looking for perfect situations is deflating. So not a Big IF. 

Some people say it is what it is, I say it is what you make it. Kirk making it impossible. 

I agree that from July 2017 to present Kirk made it impossible.

Where it gets murky is why that is.  Did he just wake up one morning and say Ef these guys, they aren’t good enough for my greatness? Probably not.  I’d love for the guy to do a tell-all about his time here in DC and why things ended up the way he did, but I’m certain that day won’t come until his career has came and went.

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Right..pay 100Mil for Haynesworth/ Cousins again...CAP Hell. Say what you want but we do have a FO that manages the CAP and was smart enough to let a CAP buster WALK. We are NOT a Contender on "D". If we don't FIX that..we'll see a Saints /Brees scenario. At least the Saints and Brees are com padres!! Kirk is just "A fist full of Dollars" player

You can win on Offense. It wont be sustainable but if they went full throttle on the offensive side Kirk had the talent to do it. He also has a propensity to screw us in the last minutes. But I do think with the right commitment he could have done it. At least once. 

And, again, if im choosing Kirk over Bruce its not even close. I dont like either but one was responsible for winning on the field and one was responsible for winning off it. I want to win on it. 

Now, dont get me wrong. Im not going to sit here and sing Kirks praises. But he could have done it if both sides could have gotten their fat rich heads out of their Burgundy and Gold asses. Thats what pisses me off the most. 

I blame all of you for this. Everyone. 

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Where it gets murky is why that is.  Did he just wake up one morning and say Ef these guys, they aren’t good enough for my greatness? Probably not.  I’d love for the guy to do a tell-all about his time here in DC and why things ended up the way he did, but I’m certain that day won’t come until his career has came and went.

I (personally) would say it happened somewhere in the 2016 offseason, but the point I do agree with you on... he didn't come to the conclusion on his own, he had help, regardless of the timetable of when it actually happened. 

Can someone please help try to clear the air on why the Vikings wouldn't just resign Case Keenum?... I did not watch the NFC championship game... Did he throw it away? I mean the game not just the ball haha..

Why a tell-all? I never understood people wanting to hear players point of view... NFL players have never been straightforward 100% total honest.. unless they are talking to their immediate family or relative or long long time friend they will never tell you the truth.

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Hall is getting killed in the PFT comments section for this by fans of other teams, with no horse in the race.  

Basically calling it what it is, damage control for the team.

And Florio too : " While Washington was willing to make a pair of one-year commitments to Cousins, the team never did enough to make the kind of long-term commitment that Cousins gladly would have embraced. Apart from not giving him a contract that communicated to anyone/everyone that Cousins is the team’s leader, Washington showed plenty of ambivalence and disrespect to Cousins, privately musing about swapping him out for the much cheaper Colt McCoy and publicly calling him “Kurt,” which team president Bruce Allen did when talking to reporters last year.

Indeed, Hall’s comments sound a lot like the whispers that emanated from the front office over the last two years, as Washington justifying dating Cousins but never marrying him. Not that the breakup has arrived, it’s no surprise that Washington will sell its version of the events via the media. Who better to do that than a former player who is trying to break in to the media?

3 minutes ago, FrFan said:

And Florio too : " While Washington was willing to make a pair of one-year commitments to Cousins, the team never did enough to make the kind of long-term commitment that Cousins gladly would have embraced. Apart from not giving him a contract that communicated to anyone/everyone that Cousins is the team’s leader, Washington showed plenty of ambivalence and disrespect to Cousins, privately musing about swapping him out for the much cheaper Colt McCoy and publicly calling him “Kurt,” which team president Bruce Allen did when talking to reporters last year.

Indeed, Hall’s comments sound a lot like the whispers that emanated from the front office over the last two years, as Washington justifying dating Cousins but never marrying him. Not that the breakup has arrived, it’s no surprise that Washington will sell its version of the events via the media. Who better to do that than a former player who is trying to break in to the media?

Rule of thumb- **** florio. PFT went from breaking the latest relevant news to the TMZ of football.

1 hour ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Can someone please help try to clear the air on why the Vikings wouldn't just resign Case Keenum?... I did not watch the NFC championship game... Did he throw it away? I mean the game not just the ball haha..

https://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/03/case-keenum-compare-kirk-cousins/

He threw 2 INT's in the game. One was for a pick 6.

It says they feel he might regress. I guess if they don't win the Mr. Process lottery, they can always resign him at probably half the price. I actually don't see much difference in the 2 except for KC will probably never even get them to another NFCC. I feel it's between Minny and NY. If the Jets don't offer much more than the Vikes, he'll probably sign with Minny. 

He was terrible. I was surprised they didn't at least try Bradford by some point in the 3rd quarter.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

I (personally) would say it happened somewhere in the 2016 offseason, but the point I do agree with you on... he didn't come to the conclusion on his own, he had help, regardless of the timetable of when it actually happened. 

The problem with getting a LTD was probably there before then. But certainly Kirk and his agent thought they were slighted and it all went south from there. I don't think the Redskins could invest that much cap in Kirk and be successful. They now have done the best they could have with a bad situation...as this points out......

Via The Washington Post

“He’s a good player,” McCloughan told Mike Pritchard and Cecil Lammey. “Is he special? I don’t see special. But also, we were still building a roster around him to make him special. Jay Gruden does a great job play-calling. [Former Redskins offensive coordinator-turned-Los Angeles Rams Coach] Sean McVay did a great job play-calling to put him in positions to be successful.”

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/01/nfl-redskins-chiefs-trade-alex-smith-kirk-cousins-contract

Never really understood the hate for PFT, other than not saying Redskins and being blunt about ‘Washington’.

Never really understood the hate for PFT, other than not saying Redskins and being blunt about ‘Washington’.

You answered your own question. They have no respect for the "Washington football team" at all.

It wasn't so much he made a lot of terrible mistakes as much as he didn't make a whole lot of great decisions. The Eagles D-Line was beasting the Vikings, and it caused a couple of those three turnovers that Keenum had. For the rest of the game, they just didn't get any traction, and Keenum didn't really do anything to overcome it. The bigger problem for Keenum was that it was a trend started in the 2nd half of the Saints game. The Vikings should have lost that one but got through with a miracle. Keenum just never really looked the same afterwards.

The main debate for Keenum is whether his regular season form was overachieving, or his post-season form was underachieving. The Vikings don't seem to want to gamble on him, and none of the fans I've talked to want to try him again either.

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

I know people hate Florio, but it's not an unfair read on the situation. It could just be Hall speaking his mind, but it's just as likely that he's being nudged by Allen. I'm not sure how anyone can be too upset about that allegation. 

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

:ols:  Is he selling that as a 'hot take'?  I think one almost unanimous feeling among this board is that he's going to make more than he's 'worth'

I don't think its just this board, but unfortunately most QBs make more than theyre worth.

Its just so hard to know if you've got a potential brady or Rodgers. Fear drives the qb market. fear of missing out

He might be overpaid but I'll personnally wait to see the numbers of his contract with let's say the Vikings :), to see the discount part. Then I will make myself an opinion by the end of his contract, if he contributes to get them to the big show I believe he'll be worth any single penny and maybe more. If he fails, well you know what's going to happen. I don't believe he's a bad guy and I wish him well.

10 hours ago, NickyJ said:

It wasn't so much he made a lot of terrible mistakes as much as he didn't make a whole lot of great decisions. The Eagles D-Line was beasting the Vikings, and it caused a couple of those three turnovers that Keenum had. For the rest of the game, they just didn't get any traction, and Keenum didn't really do anything to overcome it. The bigger problem for Keenum was that it was a trend started in the 2nd half of the Saints game. The Vikings should have lost that one but got through with a miracle. Keenum just never really looked the same afterwards.

The main debate for Keenum is whether his regular season form was overachieving, or his post-season form was underachieving. The Vikings don't seem to want to gamble on him, and none of the fans I've talked to want to try him again either.

That was my take on it, too. And one important implication is that the Vikings need to do something about that O-line. I think the rest of the team is pretty solid, but against at defense like Schwartz's, you've gotta be able to handle some pretty damn good D-line play. The NFC Championship game was won and lost at the line of scrimmage. If I'm Spielman, I focus on the line in FA and the draft; it's a priority.

18 hours ago, TheShredSkinz said:

People complain bout us not getting what Philadelphia gets for their qb's they trade then out the other side of their asses say we got hosed for Smith.

A 3rd for a pro bowl league leading qb.....plus a player(former 3rd round pick) whom you already have depth to replace??? Not ?. 

As is typical with this entire discussion, this over simplifies and at the same times ignores what the problem being discussed is. 

Not sure why it's so hard to understand not being OK with our own pro-bowl QB walking with no compensation. And yes, I believe we paid too much for Alex even though I like him. But why I would not want the Redskins to fleece someone else for once? But as stated many times, JUST GET SOMETHING!! Doesn't have to be the same. But get something. If all you get is a 3rd rd pick - then the net is a player at a position of depth and a few spots in the 3rd rd. But instead they managed this so they get nothing. 

Archived