Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

19 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Realistically, how long is Alex the starter?

My guess 3 years. 

1.75 years with the last 16 games coming only because the team has to try to polish their turd with more weapons in the 2019 off-season because they won't get enough this year and can't see the ACME label on their product (the entire team).

They are now stuck with a huge contract for a QB that proved nothing in Grudens offense over one who had played 16 team record breaking games when they should have signed him for much less.

Another example of the Redskins overvaluing other people's ****.

Wile E Coyote lives on forever as Doofus Dan Snyder. :rofl89:

Feel sorry for our OL who are about to go back to being "among the worst in the league" even when they are all on the field.

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wow, with that kind of money they extended Alex.  And I like Alex Smith.  I wonder if they are regretting this with Drew Brees now in play among other things.  As much as i like Smith (though I hate the trade), I'd take Drew Brees for another 2-3 years over Alex Smith any day of the week. 

The trade for Alex was soley a panic move, to save jobs.

The Skins should waited at least until this weekend and go from there.  This trade was a short term move with the thinking the team can win now. Except, the team really isn't built to be anything more than mediocre.

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Why? That sorry sack went 7-9 3 seasons straight not long ago.  Alex Smith is Mr. Playoffs. :ols:

Yep ironically I am just about furiously begging the FO to add weapons to help Alex Smith -- even though I know his success will lead to I told you so threads from Kirk bashers. :ols:  But that's fine. :)

But geez whether its Kirk, Alex or you name the dude -- supporting cast is key.   So call me crazy but Alex Smith lets say with D. Guice and P. Richardson (or name that tandem people like) would be better than without those guys.   As much as I like Alex I'd dread to see what would have happened if he played with this supporting cast last year -- factoring all the injuries.

Thats basically why I was meh on the signing, I never felt like Kirk could get us more win's and carry the team, and feel the same about Alex.  I have no confidence this front office can put a team around these guys to be successful, either our offence is good and our D sucks, or our Defense is mediocre and offensive sucks... No reason to think thats going to change so we need an Arron Rodgers type who can carry the team and only way were getting that is to get lucky in the draft... 

So all the rumored numbers are out. 

Smith - 4 year $94M contract, including $71,000,000 guaranteed (TBD how much is injury and how much is fully) - Average annual salary of $23.5M

Cousins - 3 year $84M contract, fully guaranteed - Average annual salary of $28M

On the surface they similar, but the reality is that they are materially quite different. The guaranteed portion is massive. What also is crazy is that Kirk will be a FA at the age of 32 years old and it would be very rare for him to be franchised for a 3rd time, so he'll hit the open market in his prime. 

Dude got paid. 

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

And we could have had him for 57M guaranteed in 2015.

Talk about a discount lol!

After one year where he sucked for the first 6 and was great for the last 9 maybe 10. Its completely understandable to not give a guy 57 million for one year like that when before that he was Mr. Turnover. I have no problem with tagging him that year.

20 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The trade for Alex was soley a panic move, to save jobs.

The Skins should waited at least until this weekend and go from there.  This trade was a short term move with the thinking the team can win now. Except, the team really isn't built to be anything more than mediocre.

They didnt really have a choice. Kirk said he wouldnt sign before free agency. So if you dont make that trade you go into free agency with no QB and hope that it works out? I wasnt thrilled with what we gave up, but based on the situation they did the right thing. You can argue about the compensation or if they should have been in that position, but thats what it was.

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

They didnt really have a choice. Kirk said he wouldnt sign before free agency. So if you dont make that trade you go into free agency with no QB and hope that it works out? I wasnt thrilled with what we gave up, but based on the situation they did the right thing. You can argue about the compensation or if they should have been in that position, but thats what it was.

The question is about differential.

I'd say Kirk is a B+/B QB

I think Smith is a B QB

Is Colt a C or C+ and if he is would we have been better going with him and a rook? I think the answer to that is whether you think this is a playoff caliber team. If you think it's not then it'd be better to ride with Colt/rookie and keep the draft picks. Heck, you could even "tank" with Colt and get a top QB next year. However, if you think the 'skins are ready to go, then the trade makes sense.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

The question is about differential.

I'd say Kirk is a B+/B QB

I think Smith is a B QB

Is Colt a C or C+ and if he is would we have been better going with him and a rook? I think the answer to that is whether you think this is a playoff caliber team. If you think it's not then it'd be better to ride with Colt/rookie and keep the draft picks. Heck, you could even "tank" with Colt and get a top QB next year. However, if you think the 'skins are ready to go, then the trade makes sense.

I think Smith and Cousins are basically a wash, different strengths. I dont know that I would say Colt is a C QB, maybe a D+. I am of the mind that in this league, any year can see a team get to the super bowl. May be a stretch for a team like the Browns, but it still stands. Bring in a few players, get some luck, who knows where you can end up. So if I had to choose between Colt and Smith I would definitely choose Smith with that in mind.

15 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

After one year where he sucked for the first 6 and was great for the last 9 maybe 10. Its completely understandable to not give a guy 57 million for one year like that when before that he was Mr. Turnover. I have no problem with tagging him that year.

I guess I have to work on my irony skills then...:rofl89:

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The bad news on 3rd and 4, he may just sort of fall down in the backfield if he feels pressure.

No offense, but this last statement is absolute BS.  A fair criticism of Smith's is that he sometimes runs out of clean pockets because he feels "phantom pressure", but he never just falls down to avoid a sack.  He believes in his legs and his ability to escape and pick up valuable yards himself.  Sometimes it doesn't work out, but he succeeds far more than he fails with this.  

Smith isn't afraid of getting hit or taking a hit, and sacrifices himself often.  He's as tough a QB as I've ever seen.   

One thing I think Alex Smith is gonna bring is the experience of all the offenses and coordinators he's played under before. I fully expect him to be more of a complete QB mentally than KC is in that I think Smith will offer more leadership and expand the offense based on his level of confidence. Listening to Aaron Rodgers and Nick Foles talk about him gives me faith that we got a real competitor who will win for us. He's gonna elevate the games of everyone where as KC never really took off as the leader of this team for various reasons. I think Smith and Gruden are gonna really hit it off and it's gonna show on the field....I'd also be surprised if his teammates don't notice a huge difference.

On 3/13/2018 at 1:05 PM, Unbias said:

Cousins - 3 year $84M contract, fully guaranteed - Average annual salary of $28M

On the surface they similar, but the reality is that they are materially quite different. The guaranteed portion is massive. What also is crazy is that Kirk will be a FA at the age of 32 years old and it would be very rare for him to be franchised for a 3rd time, so he'll hit the open market in his prime. 

Dude got paid. 

On 3/13/2018 at 1:38 PM, KDawg said:

Man... $84M guaranteed is crazy. Now I’m even happier we got Smith. 

Kirk just reformed the nWo. :) 

From last year:

Archived