Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

I have been clamoring for a 2nd hands back. It was easy to see our offense tank when CT went down. And now we hear even CT wants another CT.  If CT says it, there are fewer people to trust more than him, coming from the guy he would be competing for snaps with.

I want Jay to do more radical stuff presnap. Look at THE play of the superbowl.  Defenses are ripe to be confused but they won't be if you only do simple predictable motion to check man vs zone.

I wanted us to crosstrain Crowder into a similar role... .dude would be lights out as a 2nd CT option.  I feel like he's got the skillset to do it.

7 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Dion Lewis could do it.  Maybe Charles Sims or Kapri Bibbs as well.

absolutely... i just thought last year Crowder was tailor made for that once CT went down.  Crowder playing that role, or a role similar to Percy Harvin...  a lot of movement and deception, getting him and CT lined up against LBs forcing the safety to stay inside the hashmarks... 

NFC East reporters, talking about how Alex Smith influences the NFC East.  The point below is one of my takeaways, too.  Not saying a 34 year old QB can't be a Brady and Brees and not lose a step as the hit their 40s. But its really all over the map on that front as for QBs as they enter their mid 30s .   So I like Alex but I am hoping they looking this draft or next at a successor.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35744/how-will-redskins-qb-alex-smith-impact-the-nfc-east

"the move from Cousins to Smith heightens the urgency to find the quarterback of the future."

Yeah, I have to imagine the ‘no qb’ deal is mostly referring to a 1st or 2nd rounder - an heir apparent.  

I would really like to move on from Colt soon.  He’s a capable backup, but I’d like a guy with a higher ceiling (and save 3m or so)... especially as Smith gets older.  

15 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, I have to imagine the ‘no qb’ deal is mostly referring to a 1st or 2nd rounder - an heir apparent.  

I would really like to move on from Colt soon.  He’s a capable backup, but I’d like a guy with a higher ceiling (and save 3m or so)... especially as Smith gets older.  

Right there with ya... I believe this is the final year of Colt's deal, and he's a good backup to have.  Vet guy, never going to push the starter for playing time, knows the system, and is comfortable in his role.  I'm not sure I want to pay him any real money though... when his value is diminishing.  If he wants to remain and take a team friendly salary i'm ok with that for another couple years while we have some young blood in the pipeline.  

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

Right there with ya... I believe this is the final year of Colt's deal, and he's a good backup to have.  Vet guy, never going to push the starter for playing time, knows the system, and is comfortable in his role.  I'm not sure I want to pay him any real money though... when his value is diminishing.  If he wants to remain and take a team friendly salary i'm ok with that for another couple years while we have some young blood in the pipeline.  

I'm not sure I see the value in Colt McCoy....

He knows the system, and can potentially help a new QB learn faster, but I have to think that is less of a concern considering Alex's intelligence. 

If Smith is injured the season is lost, and McCoy ain't going to be the difference between playoffs and basement. Invest in a quality LG and protect Smith, he's been durable thus far.

6 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

I'm not sure I see the value in Colt McCoy....

He knows the system, and can potentially help a new QB learn faster, but I have to think that is less of a concern considering Alex's intelligence. 

If Smith is injured the season is lost, and McCoy ain't going to be the difference between playoffs and basement. Invest in a quality LG and protect Smith, he's been durable thus far.

see Case Keenum. 

And the amount I'm suggesting signing Colt at would not be an amount that would effect our ability to sign a LG.  

8 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Right there with ya... I believe this is the final year of Colt's deal, and he's a good backup to have. Vet guy, never going to push the starter for playing time, knows the system, and is comfortable in his role. 

That's because Alex Smith hasn't started a game for the Redskins yet.

Fans will be screaming for Colt by November, probably sooner. 

Just like they screamed for anybody else in KC every year, and in SF too.

Ironic how Alex Smith has his best years on either team AFTER they draft a potential replacement but yet apparently the Redskins decided to ignore that fact and agree not to draft a quality rookie this year. 

Buffoonery:

buf·foon·er·y
bəˈfo͞onərē/
noun
  1. behavior that is ridiculous but amusing

14 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Ironic how Alex Smith has his best years on either team AFTER they draft a potential replacement but yet apparently the Redskins decided to ignore that fact and agree not to draft a quality rookie this year. 

Buffoonery:

buf·foon·er·y
bəˈfo͞onərē/
noun

Yeah well it's very apparent that Redskins fans are completely out of their mind on certain subjects.... The same Redskins fans who are destroying the team now with the Kirk situation, were just as vocal about benching Kirk during the round robin season where Griff, Kirk, and Colt all started games.  Those same fans would also be screaming to start the 'quality' rookie you reference before we even have our first regular season game.  I'm assuming your lovely definition there is in reference to the Redskins F.O.... which if it is I'd have no real qualms about a lot of the decisions they've made....

On 2/27/2018 at 5:42 PM, SkinsFTW said:

Buffoonery:

buf·foon·er·y
bəˈfo͞onərē/
noun

Stop posting and go read what was posted recently in the news section quoting Marcus Peters. You seem to have drank too much of that hater aide and he’s speaking to you

I'm happy to have Alex Smith in large part because he's excited to be coming to the Skins and I know he's a competitor who doesn't lack confidence. All things KC is not. Let's give the guy a chance and see what Gruden can do with him. 

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I'm happy to have Alex Smith in large part because he's excited to be coming to the Skins and I know he's a competitor who doesn't lack confidence. All things KC is not. Let's give the guy a chance and see what Gruden can do with him. 

Gruden will love him. Perfect match.

49 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Checkdown Alex is going to frustrate Gruden so much they'll order up a QB in the first 2 rounds next year, just like every other team he's played on in the NFL has done.

4 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I would strongly disagree that Kirk isn’t a competitor.  Generally agree about confidence, but I’d maybe say more like moxie.  Cousins derives (IMO) his confidence from preparation, which is great in and of itself.  Ironically, I’d argue that his development of a scrambling ability (which comes across as more ad hoc) was due to watching tape of his peers, in essence preparing himself to do it.  Of course, his prep served him well in most every area... it can be a bit of a crutch, but it’s a great tool.  

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

15 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Checkdown Alex is going to frustrate Gruden so much they'll order up a QB in the first 2 rounds next year, just like every other team he's played on in the NFL has done.

Smith and Gruden will mesh in a lot of ways.  I am worried that Smith may have the same issue Cousins had in terms of wanting his receivers open.  Cousins seemed to throw contested balls more often as the season wore on (was this more trust in Doctson, Gruden’s insistence, Cousins realizing he wasn’t getting much help?  No idea).  

I think we’ll target a good hands back to help with Smith’s propensity for checking the ball down.  Hope we can find a legit deep threat - pulling guys out of the box will help the ground game, Smith’s scrambling, and the checkdowns to backs.  

I’ll be ticked off about the trade for a long while, but I do like Smith and think he 1) will pick the offense up quickly, 2) excel in it, 3) keeps us competitive (pros and cons there, IMO).  

40 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Stop.  Your fanboy crushing on Alex is getting to be too much.

So who are we going to get better then Colt for 3Mil. per year? Just type in that QB please and tell me how much better that would be for Jay Gruden and the Redskins starting all over with nobody having a clue with his system.   We can still draft a QB and afford it cap wise too.  Its like letting Kirk go because he would hurt RG3 just being there, even though he was on his rookie contract. The only ones pissed with the redskins keeping Kirk were Kirk and the fans that wanted to cut him at the time.  Its not going to happen, Colt will be here as long as he wants to keep signing good backup contracts and Jay wants him around. 

This move still bothers me unless we draft a young QB to develop behind him. Alex Smith will not and cannot excel in a pass heavy offense. I'm not sure if Gruden's ability to keep his job was completely reliant on taking whatever they gave him? This QB is not a Gruden QB, he doesn't fit his offensive style meaning this; if we fail to run the ball (not a stretch to assume), we won't beat them through the air. Kirk at least had that ability to develop mid to deep rhythm without a running game at all. That's really what teams see in him as upside. Practically like a pitcher going from the AL to the NL and facing one less batter. 

Assuming all goes well in 2018, we're going to need a re-developed run game (desperately need a LG and health across the board) and a defense (pressure is key as well as a corner) to compliment a guy who has shown the league all that he has to give. The failure of this FO to deliver us a drafted QB in the last two seasons is just ... absurd when looking back.

The vitriol and poison from some fans on this sight is mind blowing. Pure Misery. I feel bad for their loved ones who have to deal with it. Seriously just go root for another team. Insufferable.

On an uplifting note, the sun will come out tomorrow..Hope we find some gems at the combine.

12 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

You can say some negative things about Cousins but I don’t think you can say he doesn’t compete.He is a guy that brought the team back from 23-24 point hole against Tampa and was very passionate doing so.He’s a guy the took tremendous shots from defenses while standing tall in the pocket repeatedly and jumped right back in to do it again.Kirk ran down Aqib Talib in a meaningless Pro bowl game to make a tackle and save a touchdown.How many times have you seen a QB do that?  A guy with Kirk’s physical limitations doesn’t get to where he is without being extremely competitive.I could  come up with a lot of other instances where he was more than competitive.He has a lot of faults but not being a competitor isn’t one of them.

Archived