Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

With that said, I continue to like the direction of the roster with guys in place currently and think they’ve positioned themselves to make an aggressive run in free agency (due to fiscal responsibility) to complete a good roster this year. 

I like many of the guys in place as well.  However, this draft is the first since 2013, where we weren't at minimum leaning heavily on recommendations made by a true football guy.  That relationship is over with and it remains to be seen what the current group is capable of moving forward.

I'm not seeing the ability to be all that aggressive in free agency nor is it something that Bruce has ever been known for.  This years free agency class isn't all that hot either which probably bodes well for the top of that class and is not so great if you're a GM.

2 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

what are the chances they back out of trade and go after McCarron ?

They cannot afford to do that and become even more unpopular than they already are amongst the rest of the league.

However I'd prefer to roll with the unknown in a young guy like McCarron at a lesser price.  Just not happening though.

Will be interesting when we see the actual details of Smiths deal, in particular for me the money over the first three years. Someone like McCarron may end up lifting what, 15mil per year? 

If Smith ends up on a 3/60-65mil deal that will be reasonable. I mean the total deal is 5/111 so it's not unrealistic to think the best part of 50mil is in the last 2 years.

23 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Will be interesting when we see the actual details of Smiths deal, in particular for me the money over the first three years. Someone like McCarron may end up lifting what, 15mil per year? 

If Smith ends up on a 3/60-65mil deal that will be reasonable. I mean the total deal is 5/111 so it's not unrealistic to think the best part of 50mil is in the last 2 years.

I think McCarron is going to get WELL north of $15 Mill a year, just look what the Bears gave Glennon last year.... Glennon may have been a slight bit more proven, but still....

13 hours ago, thinwhiteduke said:

That's the point. His best isn't good enough.Never will be.Never was. His peak was  2011. He's a nfl emploee.not a great,winning QB

That wasn't his best game, and it wasn't his worst. His best game was against New England, where he threw for 80%, 4 TD's, 0 int's. His second best game was against the Jets, where he threw for 4 TD's and 0 int's.

2011 wasn't his best year. 

2017 was.

51 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

I think McCarron is going to get WELL north of $15 Mill a year, just look what the Bears gave Glennon last year.... Glennon may have been a slight bit more proven, but still....

Right.  I can't see less than 18-20M per season.  It could end up being a short term, prove it type of deal, but the money per will probably be near 20M.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Right.  I can't see less than 18-20M per season.  It could end up being a short term, prove it type of deal, but the money per will probably be near 20M.

So you'd risk giving McCarron a deal which is valued at little more than 10% per year under Smith's....

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

My thing is please Cleveland sign a QB in FA if it precludes them using the #1 on a QB.  I got one fear in this draft and that is the Giants taking Barkley.  I want the Browns to take Barkley in the worst way.

23 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

So you'd risk giving McCarron a deal which is valued at little more than 10% per year under Smith's....

I really haven't seen enough of McCarron to know.  That'd be a decision better left for Jay to decide on.  But in a general sense, I'd rather go young at the position.  I also don't think McCarron gets anywhere near the type of guaranteed money that Alex got.  I expect McCarron to get no more than 2 years guaranteed if that.

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I really haven't seen enough of McCarron to know.  That'd be a decision better left for Jay to decide on.  But in a general sense, I'd rather go young at the position.  I also don't think McCarron gets anywhere near the type of guaranteed money that Alex got.  I expect McCarron to get no more than 2 years guaranteed if that.

Well you did say say you'd prefer to roll with a guy like McCarron and you expect he will likely get near 20mil per year. That seems a risk, both at the position, and financially, given Smith is already proven and his deal appears very reasonable. That's what prompted my response.

I'd also say it's pretty clear Jay has made his decision. Once the reality dawned that Kirk was walking, he wanted Smith in straight away.

I do agree though that younger alternatives were always going to be available.

2 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

That wasn't his best game, and it wasn't his worst. His best game was against New England, where he threw for 80%, 4 TD's, 0 int's. His second best game was against the Jets, where he threw for 4 TD's and 0 int's.

2011 wasn't his best year. 

2017 was.

I ment season. 

You have nice avatar name though.

Best game? Best season? None of it matters. He's not 'the one'

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Well you did say say you'd prefer to roll with a guy like McCarron and you expect he will likely get near 20mil per year. That seems a risk, both at the position, and financially, given Smith is already proven and his deal appears very reasonable. That's what prompted my response.

I'd also say it's pretty clear Jay has made his decision. Once the reality dawned that Kirk was walking, he wanted Smith in straight away.

Alex Smith @ 3 years guaranteed money is also a risk.  Once the final numbers get released we'll know more. What we know about Alex Smith is that he's good but in 13 seasons, two coaches decided they needed more from the position and moved on.  All this talk of Alex and Kirk being a wash is an assumption.  Not everyone thinks this is a great fit or that it will pay dividends.  It's possible but certainly not a given.  Point being, known or unknown, there are many variables and risk to be considered bringing in any quarterback.

We also have no idea what level of participation Jay had in all this either, outside of him saying he wanted a decision quickly on Kirk.  Anything else beyond that is also an assumption.

22 hours ago, thinwhiteduke said:

That's the point. His best isn't good enough.Never will be.Never was. His peak was  2011. He's a nfl emploee.not a great,winning QB

Not seeing that, bro. But you could really say that about Kirk, who is being hyped right now in my opinion.

10 hours ago, steve09ru said:

what are the chances they back out of trade and go after McCarron ?

McCarron is interesting. But I'm from Cincinnati and many folks in my neck of the woods don't think he's all that. They've seen more Bengals football than me over the years, so I trust those die hard fans opinion.

So, nothing is official with the Smith deal... nothing, right??

The Skins could simply rescind. I would, I never understood how this leaked, its completely unofficial.

I would tag Kurt. Tell the league our intention all along was to keep him, circumventing the CBA rule around misuse of the tag. Next, i would trade Kurt for a 1st or a 2nd. Lastly, renegotiate with KC and keep Fuller.

problem solved

52 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

The Skins could simply rescind. I would, I never understood how this leaked, its completely unofficial.

I would tag Kurt. Tell the league our intention all along was to keep him, circumventing the CBA rule around misuse of the tag. Next, i would trade Kurt for a 1st or a 2nd. Lastly, renegotiate with KC and keep Fuller.

problem solved

Horrible for players wanting to come to DC and play if that happened.  I'd be totally stunned if it did.

1 hour ago, Bonez3 said:

problem solved

I like the way you think, but the FO made their bed...

On 2/15/2018 at 2:03 PM, thesubmittedone said:

Ok, if that was your point then I misunderstood, because the way it came off when I read it was like, “too bad, coaches/players gotta overcome the impossible and win anyway”. 

Oh - sorry, not at all. I mean, I guess in a way because that's what's going to need to happen here. But it was less that we SHOULD expect that and more that we will NEED to expect that. The reason I mentioned other successful franchises was to point out that it really doesn't matter if a guy could do well in a good organization...we somehow need to find a guy who can win HERE. 

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Oh - sorry, not at all. I mean, I guess in a way because that's what's going to need to happen here. But it was less that we SHOULD expect that and more that we will NEED to expect that. The reason I mentioned other successful franchises was to point out that it really doesn't matter if a guy could do well in a good organization...we somehow need to find a guy who can win HERE. 

Ok, cool. :) 

As for your last statement, my entire point, which is pretty depressing, is that you can’t. It takes a village, and it starts at the top. There is no other way. If you try to “find a guy” like that, you’re trying to find someone who is essentially flawless and can overcome anything with obstacles presented to them within their own supposed support system. Someone who essentially doesn’t even need an organization or the roles therein. 

That person doesn’t exist, and you’ll just end up in a perpetual cycle of hiring/acquiring people set up to fail, whether they’re legitimately good enough to win with or not. That’s what we’ve seen here since Dan bought the team. 

Perspective is key as well. 

The Redskins would’ve been one of 4 or 5 teams to finish with a winning record for 3 consecutive years if they did so this past season (have not checked this, stat heard on Cooley and Sheehan radio show— eeek... trusting these guys is risky lol) 

Its incredibly difficult and almost a certainty there will be up and down years. The Skins are average and will most likely remain this way unless Gruden continues to make progress (not innovative enough for me, but I like his ability to lead a lockeroom and scheme) or an elite QB. 

Archived