Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

26 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/08/16/kirk-cousins-tells-espns-sal-paolantonio-he-would-love-to-be-a-redskin-for-life/?utm_term=.c083bb00f98b

I like Alex Smith too, but public support by a QB is par for the course anymore.  They need to rally the fans as much as they do the locker room.  I do think Smith WANTS to be here, but I also don't doubt for a second he wouldn't be saying the same thing about any destination that he decided to sign an extension with... 

I think that is absolutely true most people would love to be given the opportunity to be the starting QB of any NFL franchise because they all believe or should believe they can take the team to greatness.

This is why i think Cousins was something of a strange fish in that he had a starting QB role and he could have - had he wanted to buy into the program potentially taken this team to the next level but it is hard for a group to come together and really gel if your leader is constantly looking for his next step in his career - It is kind of like trying to be in a relationship and your girlfriend is constantly oogling other people - It is never going to work. It is disrespectful to the other members of the team - as if Cousins is saying I am better than all of you; i deserve better .. which is never good for team unity 

As for Russell and his rant about Bruce hating Kirk - For one I really really do not like this kind of sensationalist reporting because it is never based on actual fact and is really an opinion. It is standard fare in sports journalism just as where  it was reported that Tom Brady was dancing a jig when Jimmy Goroppolo was traded to the 9ers... because tom was worried about being replaced .... like Tom friking Brady is ever going to leave the Patriots on anything other than his own terms - But the reporters get away with saying crap like that because they know no one is ever going to call them out on what and if they do get a response then the journalist wins again because they have gotten a rile out of whoever and their profile gets elevated with additional publicity...

That said, so what if Bruce dislikes Kirk personally (entirely possible)  - I am sure more than a few people in the Redskins front office are glad the Kirk Cousins saga is over even if they wish it would have ended differently but guess what - I don't like all my bosses, i am sure everyone who has ever worked anywhere did not get on with everyone and was not universally loveved  - If part of this entire debarcle is Kirk taking offence to Bruce Allen, then Kirk is going to have to toughen up in a hurry because,  where ever Kirk ends up next might not be universally loved there either and the issue is QBs who need to be constantly propped up are not long for the league .    

8 minutes ago, Dan73 said:

The trade had not happened but he knew he was done there. 

But did you put this part in?

ading between the lines, that could conceivably make him more open to being traded — and signing an extension with — a struggling team in need of a quarterback, especially if Smith were to believe in that team’s vision, coaching staff and supporting cast.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article196946304.html#storylink=cpy

Clearly, I left a lot out, it's a long article.  I also added quotes, not reading between the lines.  Just take your L and move on.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Clearly, I left a lot out, it's a long article.  I also added quotes, not reading between the lines.  Just take your L and move on.

There is no l.

Cousins didn't want to be the guy here and Smith does.

Hopefully Cousins can do what he was drafted to do and be useful in a trade.

Just now, Dan73 said:

There is no l.

Cousins didn't want to be the guy here and Smith does.

Hopefully Cousins can do what he was drafted to do and be useful in a trade.

Smith will be a supporting member of any team that signs his paychecks, he's a professional.  I'm happy he's saying the right things, but we've had people saying the 'right things' for years and we're still here.  On March 14th when the deal goes through and Smith signs his extension, he will be doing the right thing.  At that point he will be lauded.  In 3 years when his contract is essentially expiring, and he graciously passes the torch to his successor, as he's done twice already... he'll be doing the right thing.  He's a professional.  

3 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Smith will be a supporting member of any team that signs his paychecks, he's a professional.  I'm happy he's saying the right things, but we've had people saying the 'right things' for years and we're still here.  On March 14th when the deal goes through and Smith signs his extension, he will be doing the right thing.  At that point he will be lauded.  In 3 years when his contract is essentially expiring, and he graciously passes the torch to his successor, as he's done twice already... he'll be doing the right thing.  He's a professional.  

Actually what will be interesting to me to see how he works with and drafted qbs. I don't think the Skins should draft a project this year or maybe even next. As Smith's main focus should be the playbook and making this his team.

7 minutes ago, Dan73 said:

Actually what will be interesting to me to see how he works with and drafted qbs. I don't think the Skins should draft a project this year or maybe even next. As Smith's main focus should be the playbook and making this his team.

I think we should take a QB in the next 3 drafts... no higher than the 4th.  We have Colt McCoy under contract, and a developmental PS guy.  We gotta stop putting off this position.  Smith's job should is not guaranteed.  If we draft a 5th rounder this year to work with and take a chance on, and he outplays Colt, so be it.  We're not set at QB, WR, TE, anywhere.  I don't want us using a top draft pick by any means, but at least refill the pipeline.  If they don't work out.. so be it.  I don't want to pick up a veteran 3rd stringer and have 3 QBs over 30 on the roster either.  Like pitchers in baseball... get things flowing.   Good teams are always adding assets.. Even if it means you parlay a 5th round QB into in adequate backup and spin it for a 3rd rounder at the deadline.  We should have 3 QBs on the 53 and 1 on the PS at all times until we have one on the roster that we can see starting for us 10 years from now.  

10 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

This is why i think Cousins was something of a strange fish in that he had a starting QB role and he could have - had he wanted to buy into the program potentially taken this team to the next level but it is hard for a group to come together and really gel if your leader is constantly looking for his next step in his career - It is kind of like trying to be in a relationship and your girlfriend is constantly oogling other people - It is never going to work. It is disrespectful to the other members of the team - as if Cousins is saying I am better than all of you; i deserve better .. which is never good for team unity 

That's why teams go out of their way to lock guys up early and display a level of trust and confidence in their QB.  I'd venture a guess that not every team that does that is 100% convinced that their guy is as good as his paycheck but they at least fake it.  Their quarterbacks aren't oogling at other people because they are happy in the current relationship they are in.

26 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

That said, so what if Bruce dislikes Kirk personally (entirely possible)  - I am sure more than a few people in the Redskins front office are glad the Kirk Cousins saga is over even if they wish it would have ended differently but guess what - I don't like all my bosses, i am sure everyone who has ever worked anywhere did not get on with everyone and was not universally loveved  - If part of this entire debarcle is Kirk taking offence to Bruce Allen, then Kirk is going to have to toughen up in a hurry because,  where ever Kirk ends up next might not be universally loved there either and the issue is QBs who need to be constantly propped up are not long for the league .   

The difference is that for everyday folks like us, if we don't like our bosses - we are typically stuck with them anyway.  Because we're not among the dozen or so folks in the entire world that can do what we do.  While there are parallels to contract and relationship situations between the NFL and everyday joes at corporations, it's not apples to apples.

23 minutes ago, Dan73 said:

There is no l.

Oh, but there is.

Did you not say this?

When I hear players talk about this a business then I know they are disappointed. 

I just showed you quotes from Alex Smith from a few weeks ago where he specifically said that he wants to be with the Chiefs but understands it's a business.

14 hours ago, Dan73 said:

You know what is being left out?

Enthusiasm. 

The only thing I heard reported Cousins was excited about even before this trade was free agency.

Meanwhile we have reports of Smith being jacked or pumped to play for the Redskins. 

Of course he is pumped. A 34 year old very average QB just got a 5 year deal for 24M/year.  He probably gave himself a hernia laughing and fist pumping.

15 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Humphries wasn't in-between Williams and Rypien, btw. He was drafted when Rypien was already here and didn't start games until Rypien had been the starter for a while and came in as an injury replacement for him.

Yes- True - but he played in 1989 and 1990.  Williams took the skins to SB in 87 and Rypien in 91...so how else would you say it.  

42 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Oh, but there is.

Did you not say this?

I just showed you quotes from Alex Smith from a few weeks ago where he specifically said that he wants to be with the Chiefs but understands it's a business.

Yes he was disappointed that he knew he was going to probably lose his job.

But he is happy with the results.

It is already a win in that the position is settled.  Now build on that win with wins on the field.

36 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Of course he is pumped. A 34 year old very average QB just got a 5 year deal for 24M/year.  He probably gave himself a hernia laughing and fist pumping.

24 million for a qb that was top ten qbr vs 30 plus for a guy who was 15 is pretty good.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yes, his recent quotes lead us to believe that he is happy with his consolation prize, the Washington Redskins.

Hey if you don't like him or the team cheer for a player you do on a team you like.

Follow Cousins 

Personally I am looking forward to the season even more if FA goes well.

1 hour ago, Dan73 said:

Yes he was disappointed that he knew he was going to probably lose his job.

But he is happy with the results.

It is already a win in that the position is settled.  Now build on that win with wins on the field.

24 million for a qb that was top ten qbr vs 30 plus for a guy who was 15 is pretty good.

Smith in his best year in 13 seasons, (last year), was on par with Kirk's only 3 years starting. His other 12 seasons, he was not. He is not near as good as Kirk. And the anti-Kirks have been howling for 2 years that Kirk isn't worth 20M a year, much less 24. Now its a steal to get an inferior QB for 24M.  Even if the anti-Kirks actually believe Alex is as good as Kirk, they should still be howling about paying him 24M. Yes, Kirk at 28-30 is a better deal than Alex at 24. We make that little money back by not signing 6M project WRs.

6 minutes ago, wit33 said:

@Fat Stupid Loser

Have to wait for details of Smith a contract to really compare and delve into discussion of it being “good or bad”. My hope it averages for 3 years around 10-11% of the cap. Paying this for a guy who’s comparable to QBs from 7-25 is solid. 

You will be close. Think it will be slightly higher but not by much. I'd would say 12-13 at a push.

6 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I think we should take a QB in the next 3 drafts... no higher than the 4th.  We have Colt McCoy under contract, and a developmental PS guy.  We gotta stop putting off this position.  Smith's job should is not guaranteed.  If we draft a 5th rounder this year to work with and take a chance on, and he outplays Colt, so be it.  We're not set at QB, WR, TE, anywhere.  I don't want us using a top draft pick by any means, but at least refill the pipeline.  If they don't work out.. so be it.  I don't want to pick up a veteran 3rd stringer and have 3 QBs over 30 on the roster either.  Like pitchers in baseball... get things flowing.   Good teams are always adding assets.. Even if it means you parlay a 5th round QB into in adequate backup and spin it for a 3rd rounder at the deadline.  We should have 3 QBs on the 53 and 1 on the PS at all times until we have one on the roster that we can see starting for us 10 years from now.  

I'm with you on most of what you are saying in every post.

One thing I personally don't want to do is "waste" draft picks in the later rounds on a QB.  It's worthless.  Name an active QB outside of Tom Brady that was drafted late that has ever done anything, let alone ever.  To me late round picks can be contributors on ST's and fight for jobs.  You're going nowhere with late round QB's.

Keep it to undrafted QB's to "develop".  I want round 5-7 to be contributors.  I also think it's a waste to dress a 3rd QB on game day and take up a valuable roster spot.  Who is the last 3rd active QB to make any noise in a career, let alone a game?

It's a QB driven league.  If you want to get a QB, "go get 'em", don't wait for 'em and try to groom him.  Track record shows it doesn't work.

10 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

I'm with you on most of what you are saying in every post.

One thing I personally don't want to do is "waste" draft picks in the later rounds on a QB.  It's worthless.  Name an active QB outside of Tom Brady that was drafted late that has ever done anything, let alone ever.  To me late round picks can be contributors on ST's and fight for jobs.  You're going nowhere with late round QB's.

Keep it to undrafted QB's to "develop".  I want round 5-7 to be contributors.  I also think it's a waste to dress a 3rd QB on game day and take up a valuable roster spot.  Who is the last 3rd active QB to make any noise in a career, let alone a game?

It's a QB driven league.  If you want to get a QB, "go get 'em", don't wait for 'em and try to groom him.  Track record shows it doesn't work.

This year could be an exception: 4 possible top 10 QBs; Cousins, Brees and the Vikings trio are all FAs with Alex Smith and maybe Foles on the trading block. That is way more QBs available then normal which should in theory have some guys slip in the draft.

Whats scary is being at 13. Not a good position to grab any of the top 4 QBs and trading up is very costly these days with the rookie pay scale.

Trading up for Baker Mayfield is probably everyone's disaster scenario around here.

7 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

While I understand what you are saying I disagree to a certain extent. The problem with drafting with this type of approach is you end up missing a player that can help you. 

For me it's best player available. If it's a QB on the board, take them. If not move on. The nice thing about having Alex - and the reason I kind of flipped on trading for him or not - is that now the team does not have to be desperate. At this point the cost is irrelevant. He is here. And part of that is it gives the team the luxury of not having to draft a position early on. 

And I was add this - if he out plays Alex, $24M/yr or not, let him play. Smith can be the most expensive back-up in the NFL. If you have yoUr starer on a rookie contract who cares.

4 hours ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Smith in his best year in 13 seasons, (last year), was on par with Kirk's only 3 years starting. His other 12 seasons, he was not. He is not near as good as Kirk. And the anti-Kirks have been howling for 2 years that Kirk isn't worth 20M a year, much less 24. Now its a steal to get an inferior QB for 24M.  Even if the anti-Kirks actually believe Alex is as good as Kirk, they should still be howling about paying him 24M. Yes, Kirk at 28-30 is a better deal than Alex at 24. We make that little money back by not signing 6M project WRs.

That is an opinion only.  Kirk threw for more yards the last 3 seasons but that in itself does not make him better, you can cherry pick stats to support your view but that does not mean anything.  Alex throws fewer interceptions so if you want to go off that we could say Kirk is not near as good as Alex.  The only way to get an apples to apples comparison is to see them in the same system with the same or similar personnel and that happens this fall when Alex has Jay calling plays, only once the 2018 season is in the can will you be able to truly compare them.  For what it's worth I think they are pretty much a wash, Kirk has more zip, Alex is more accurate etc.

Truth be told, Alex is here and Kirk is not.  I wanted a LTD with Kirk but that ship has sailed and I sincerely hope that after March 14th I never read another thread or post on this board about Kirk because no amount of moaning or complaining will change the fact that he has gone and seems pretty happy to be leaving.  Hope he has a good career but he is not my Quarterback anymore.

Archived