Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Arguably we have had three franchise type QBs in the fold in the last 25 years or so, all three were let go:  Trent Green, Brad Johnson, Kirk.  The other two won Superbowls after leaving.  I suspect Kirk might end up the third.

Be a funky 30-30 if so. 

If your going to count Trent Green as winning a Super Bowl, shouldn't you add Sudsy?

4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Green won as a backup unless I'm totally forgetting something.

He did but got a ring, nonetheless.  Got hurt and Warner took over the job.   Good career in KC ultimately.  Hopefully this happens in reverse with Alex Smith -- we are due for some good luck for a change. 

1 hour ago, theTruthTeller said:

Here are the Skin's leading passers for the 20 seasons between Rypien and Cousins: Shuler, Frerotte, Frerotte, Frerotte, Green, Johnson, Johnson, Banks, Ramsey, Ramsey, Ramsey, Brunell, Brunell, Campbell, Campbell, Campbell, McNabb, Grossman, Griffin, Griffin.

But, no problem, we'll pick up someone better than Cousins in the next 22 months.  Because we have geniuses who can do that sort of thing.

Holy cow! I just realized that we've had a leading passer every single year. That's something Bruce can hang his hat on. :ols:

6 minutes ago, theTruthTeller said:

If your going to count Trent Green as winning a Super Bowl, shouldn't you add Sudsy?

Nope. :)  Trent was on pace to be the starter, he ran into bad luck.  Then ended up going to KC and becoming a pro-bowler.  If Sudfeld has a career like that -- that would drive me even more bonkers.

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Arguably we have had three franchise type QBs in the fold in the last 25 years or so, all three were let go:  Trent Green, Brad Johnson, Kirk.  The other two won Superbowls after leaving.  I suspect Kirk might end up the third.

Be a funky 30-30 if so. 

Wasn't Trent Green a victim of the ownership being in flux?  I seem to remember we wanted him but we didn't have any finality on who the owner would be.

Johnson was super stupid to get rid of.  I wish we had kept that 1999 team together.  Totally could've won that year.

Just now, NewCliche21 said:

Wasn't Trent Green a victim of the ownership being in flux?  I seem to remember we wanted him but we didn't have any finality on who the owner would be.

Johnson was super stupid to get rid of.  I wish we had kept that 1999 team together.  Totally could've won that year.

Yep.  My point wasn't about blame or no blame.  My point was good things happened to Trent Green and Brad Johnson when they left.  We are about to see if that good fortune extends to Kirk. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep.  My point wasn't about blame or no blame.  My point was good things happened to Trent Green and Brad Johnson when they left.  We are about to see if that good fortune extends to Kirk. 

Gotcha.  Had thought I clicked on the ownership thread so I was in the wrong context.

43 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Once upon a time, Mike Wilbon chased Brad Johnson out of town, because he was not a leader of men, not a winner, and not clutch. And then he won the goddamn Super Bowl.

There is no such thing as clutch. Everyone who makes this argument is a dum dum.

Do not be a dum dum.

Didnt say it was my view. But that was a very, if not the most, pivotal moment in his tenure here. 

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Green won as a backup unless I'm totally forgetting something.

True but the year he got hurt, they were really excited about him with that Rams offense.  Not to say SB winner (who knows?) but he was a damn good player. 

Keim did a good tit for tat -- Kirk and Alex, talking to personnel types.  

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35615/alex-smith-might-not-be-an-upgrade-over-kirk-cousins-but-he-will-help-redskins

Both are considered hard working and smart, have overcome adversity and have had to work on becoming more vocal leaders. In fact, early in Smith’s career coaches in San Francisco wanted him to be louder in the huddle. 

...Cousins gets rid of the ball quicker. That’s not surprising given that Smith throws with an elongated motion, which drives some offensive coaches nuts. “He’s not a natural thrower. It’s not clean,” one offensive coach said of Smith. “[But] he’s extremely intelligent and that’s what saves him and Andy does as good a job as anyone with quarterbacks. ... I don’t see the arm talent like I do in Cousins. [Smith’s] greatest asset is his ability to create, pull down and go. That scares a defense. He seems to be a smart guy, too.”

...Smith might be more consistent but … One NFC scout said Cousins can take over games in a way Smith hasn’t done. The scout said that while Smith won’t “win you a game, he also won’t lose you a game.” The scout felt Smith was more consistent, but Cousins had flashes and “when he gets hot, he gets hot.” But he also pointed to Cousins’ lows. However, the scout liked Washington’s passing game and coach Jay Gruden’s playcalling, saying Smith would be a good fit. The Redskins have routes on one side of the field to beat man -- or a zone with man principles -- and the routes on the other side are designed to beat various zones. The quarterbacks here have always said: There’s an answer for everything. That helps any quarterback.

12 hours ago, TMK9973 said:

BTW- We always say Rypien to Cousins - but remember between Doug Williams and Mary Rypien there was.....

Stan Humphries - Another QB to leave the skins and take a team to the Super bowl...

Humphries wasn't in-between Williams and Rypien, btw. He was drafted when Rypien was already here and didn't start games until Rypien had been the starter for a while and came in as an injury replacement for him.

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim did a good tit for tat -- Kirk and Alex, talking to personnel types.  

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35615/alex-smith-might-not-be-an-upgrade-over-kirk-cousins-but-he-will-help-redskins

Both are considered hard working and smart, have overcome adversity and have had to work on becoming more vocal leaders. In fact, early in Smith’s career coaches in San Francisco wanted him to be louder in the huddle. 

...Cousins gets rid of the ball quicker. That’s not surprising given that Smith throws with an elongated motion, which drives some offensive coaches nuts. “He’s not a natural thrower. It’s not clean,” one offensive coach said of Smith. “[But] he’s extremely intelligent and that’s what saves him and Andy does as good a job as anyone with quarterbacks. ... I don’t see the arm talent like I do in Cousins. [Smith’s] greatest asset is his ability to create, pull down and go. That scares a defense. He seems to be a smart guy, too.”

...Smith might be more consistent but … One NFC scout said Cousins can take over games in a way Smith hasn’t done. The scout said that while Smith won’t “win you a game, he also won’t lose you a game.” The scout felt Smith was more consistent, but Cousins had flashes and “when he gets hot, he gets hot.” But he also pointed to Cousins’ lows. However, the scout liked Washington’s passing game and coach Jay Gruden’s playcalling, saying Smith would be a good fit. The Redskins have routes on one side of the field to beat man -- or a zone with man principles -- and the routes on the other side are designed to beat various zones. The quarterbacks here have always said: There’s an answer for everything. That helps any quarterback.

You know what is being left out?

Enthusiasm. 

The only thing I heard reported Cousins was excited about even before this trade was free agency.

Meanwhile we have reports of Smith being jacked or pumped to play for the Redskins. 

3 minutes ago, Dan73 said:

You know what is being left out?

Enthusiasm. 

The only thing I heard reported Cousins was excited about even before this trade was free agency.

Meanwhile we have reports of Smith being jacked or pumped to play for the Redskins. 

I like Alex Smith.  But his enthusiasm to me is run of the mill for a new acquisition -- if a dude is coming to a team and isn't excited before he starts that would be a bit strange.  Granted I am sure it happens on occasion that way. 

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/04/eagles_trade_donovan_mcnabb_to.html

"I'm really excited about my future with the Washington Redskins," McNabb said in a statement. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Alex Smith.  But his enthusiasm to me is run of the mill for a new acquisition -- if a dude is coming to a team and isn't excited before he starts that would be a bit strange.  Granted I am sure it happens on occasion that way. 

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/04/eagles_trade_donovan_mcnabb_to.html

"I'm really excited about my future with the Washington Redskins," McNabb said in a statement. 

When I hear players talk about this a business then I know they are disappointed. 

“Sat down with Kirk Cousins,” Paolantonio wrote. “Told me despite playing under franchise tag, he wants to remain with Redskins his entire career.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/08/16/kirk-cousins-tells-espns-sal-paolantonio-he-would-love-to-be-a-redskin-for-life/?utm_term=.c083bb00f98b

I like Alex Smith too, but public support by a QB is par for the course anymore.  They need to rally the fans as much as they do the locker room.  I do think Smith WANTS to be here, but I also don't doubt for a second he wouldn't be saying the same thing about any destination that he decided to sign an extension with... 

Apparently Russell was on one last night in regards to Cousins and the Redskins.  Apparently his sources say that Bruce hated Cousins and couldn't wait to see him go.  Hated that he didn't respond to his offer, had to travel there to discuss it, hated that he sold his shirts outside of the team, basically just hate with some more hate sprinkled on top.

None of that comes as a surprise to me.  Hmmm, wonder why free agency looks so appealing?

12 hours ago, Dan73 said:

When I hear players talk about this a business then I know they are disappointed. 

Smith said Reid told him to go enjoy the Pro Bowl, that there would be more contact when — Smith’s words here — the dust settles a little bit.

“I don’t know that this is limbo, but if this is, it (stinks),” Smith said with a laugh, when asked how he’s dealing with his uncertain status for 2018. “But the one (good) thing is knowing that you put a good product out there, you feel good about it, and you know that hopefully, if it comes to (a trade), there is some place (for you).”

If Smith had his way, he’d continue to build on that identity in Kansas City. But he’s been around long enough to know anything can happen in the NFL, especially when the salary cap comes into play.

“I hope to stay there — I love where I’m at. I love the guys, I love the situation, but who knows?” Smith said. “Obviously this is a business. I’m not going to be ignorant of anything or naive to anything.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article196946304.html

---------------------------------------

Oh no! The Alex Smith jacked for Washington level just dropped a few tiers.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Apparently Russell was on one last night in regards to Cousins and the Redskins.  Apparently his sources say that Bruce hated Cousins and couldn't wait to see him go.  Hated that he didn't respond to his offer, had to travel there to discuss it, hated that he sold his shirts outside of the team, basically just hate with some more hate sprinkled on top.

None of that comes as a surprise to me.  Hmmm, wonder why free agency looks so appealing?

While I'm personally bitter about how Kirk handled things... I can't blame him.  I see no fault in him wanting to get out of here.  My problem with him was his open dedication (see post above) to the team regarding the long term, when in fact it was a seeming impossibility.  I'm not saying he should come out and start flaming people, but he was over the top in his "career" referencing.  

I want to say I remember a small report that Kirk said he would never sign an extension with Bruce? 

Just now, OVCChairman said:

While I'm personally bitter about how Kirk handled things... I can't blame him.  I see no fault in him wanting to get out of here.  My problem with him was his open dedication (see post above) to the team regarding the long term, when in fact it was a seeming impossibility.  I'm not saying he should come out and start flaming people, but he was over the top in his "career" referencing.  

I want to say I remember a small report that Kirk said he would never sign an extension with Bruce? 

That doesn't bother me because he didn't have to go into that stuff at all, which leads me to believe that he meant it.  I'm sure plenty occurred between the day he said all that and his town hall after the season.  It's interesting that reports indicate the last time Bruce and McCartney spoke at all was in November and shortly thereafter came the Sunday morning nugget about how the team still needs more time to assess Cousins play.  I'd venture a guess that didn't go over well and was probably the final nail in the coffin.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That doesn't bother me because he didn't have to go into that stuff at all, which leads me to believe that he meant it.  I'm sure plenty occurred between the day he said all that and his town hall after the season.  It's interesting that reports indicate the last time Bruce and McCartney spoke at all was in November and shortly thereafter came the Sunday morning nugget about how the team still needs more time to assess Cousins play.  I'd venture a guess that didn't go over well and was probably the final nail in the coffin.

Final nail on which side.... or was that the agreement to part ways?  Kirk has been talking about how excited he is to 'chose his destination' since before the town hall he had.  He's also been talking about how how great it is for QBs to spend their whole career with a single team.  After 2015 I think his heart was still in it because the responses were "well the ball is in their court."  After that it shifted to 'I want to be a Redskin, but hey... it's gonna be fun to be a free agent'

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Smith said Reid told him to go enjoy the Pro Bowl, that there would be more contact when — Smith’s words here — the dust settles a little bit.

“I don’t know that this is limbo, but if this is, it (stinks),” Smith said with a laugh, when asked how he’s dealing with his uncertain status for 2018. “But the one (good) thing is knowing that you put a good product out there, you feel good about it, and you know that hopefully, if it comes to (a trade), there is some place (for you).”

If Smith had his way, he’d continue to build on that identity in Kansas City. But he’s been around long enough to know anything can happen in the NFL, especially when the salary cap comes into play.

“I hope to stay there — I love where I’m at. I love the guys, I love the situation, but who knows?” Smith said. “Obviously this is a business. I’m not going to be ignorant of anything or naive to anything.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article196946304.html

---------------------------------------

Oh no! The Alex Smith jacked for Washington level just dropped a few tiers.

The trade had not happened but he knew he was done there. 

But did you put this part in?

ading between the lines, that could conceivably make him more open to being traded — and signing an extension with — a struggling team in need of a quarterback, especially if Smith were to believe in that team’s vision, coaching staff and supporting cast.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article196946304.html#storylink=cpy

Archived