Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The *Budget Fight* Thread (Jan 2018 Edition)-

Fergasun

I wish I got to send excited tweets to the public every time my coworkers were performing basic functions of their jobs.

10:55 AM: Ms. Johnson is at the board giving instructions!

11:07 AM: Mr. Smith just asked whether anyone had questions.  They did!

1:23 PM: Students are working on an activity designed to help them understand the topic.  The teacher is walking around and helping!

45 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I wish I got to send excited tweets to the public every time my coworkers were performing basic functions of their jobs.

10:55 AM: Ms. Johnson is at the board giving instructions!

11:07 AM: Mr. Smith just asked whether anyone had questions.  They did!

1:23 PM: Students are working on an activity designed to help them understand the topic.  The teacher is walking around and helping!

The US Senate are awarding themselves participation trophies now. And they are proud of them.

9 hours ago, visionary said:

Like I said a couple of days ago, the thing with Democrats is they don't know how to play the game of selling their side to put the pressure on. Calling it the "Trump shutdown" is not enough. You make it stick by using the words of his own party. Both Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham and as of last night Jeff Flake gave Democrats all the ammunition they needed with their comments throughout last week on Trump's leadership being so wishy-washy and non-committal. They basically underscored Schumer's assessment of Trump changing his mind every hour when negotiating which flies in the face of his being a great "deal maker" and makes him look like a puppet. If I was in Schumer's shoes I would have had these quotes from McConnell and Graham on a video ad prepped and ready to go as of midnight on Friday and they would have been all over the place by Saturday morning...

"I'm looking for something that President Trump supports, and he has not yet indicated what measure he is willing to sign. As soon as we figure out what he is for, then I would be convinced that we were not just spinning our wheels." - Mitch McConnell.

"It’s going to take you, Mr. President, working with Republicans and Democrats to get this done. It’s not going to be done on Twitter, by tweeting, it’s going to be done by talking and understanding." - Lindsey Graham

"So Tuesday, we had a president that I was proud to golf with, call my friend, who understood immigration had to be bipartisan, you had to have border security as essential, you have border security with a wall, but he also understood the idea that we had to do it with compassion. I don’t know where that guy went. I want him back." - Lindsey Graham

Last night Graham and Flake added more ammo...

"We can’t anymore, you know, say that we’ll only move forward if the president moves forward. And if he’s with us. We just can’t do that. This president has changed his mind several times on this, I will say that." - Jeff Flake

"Somebody’s got to lead. The White House staff has been pretty unreliable. The House is locked down. So, I think the Senate is the best body to lead the country to a result." - Lindsey Graham

They're really dropping the ball in not juxtaposing those comments with Trump's past comments of how the President should be leading in this situation and making Trump own it. He hates to look weak and indecisive as it goes against the tough CEO rep he's built up for himself. You don't see Trump's people sitting on their thumbs waiting to shape public opinion. As distasteful as that Trump ad was I at least give them an "A" for effort.

27 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

Does anybody really think either side cares for ordinary people?

Yes.

Democrats in this country are still interested in working for programs that help ordinary people. CHIP is a Democrat program. DACA was a Democrat program.

In my day to day work, we use education infrastructure laid down by the Obama Dept. of Ed which is helping the advancement of STEM education in poor communities.

Republicans used to care once upon a time too until they surrendered to far right extremists.

The day most of the country comes to understand this simple fact, we will likely return our politics to normalcy.

As long as "both sides" is still a thing, nothing will change. This is a chart from 2011, but I bet the Republican shift towards the extreme right is even more pointed now:

nominate-house_medians_custom-f2c9868bb2216f0d010779b021e5d3ff81ab1c52-s800-c85.jpg

This chart actually tells the story of our political shifts much better:

polarization-2.jpg&w=1484

For the love of this country, a lot of you need to re-examine the both sides narrative. Keep an open mind when you go to the polls in 2018.

Just the fact that a guy as thoughtful and educated as @Zguy28 could see all the Dems and moderate Rs fighting for CHIP/DACA/etc and just reflexively fall back on a tired, useless trope like “all politicians are the same/don’t care” is a vivid reminder of just how pervasive that type of far-right propaganda is these days.

Its distressing and really sad.

Archived