Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The *Budget Fight* Thread (Jan 2018 Edition)-

Fergasun

2 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I believe the 2013 shutdown was largely over Obamacare funding which was not (directly) budget related. 

Discretionary spending is not budget related how? :)

DACA is not a budget issue

3 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I believe the 2013 shutdown was largely over Obamacare funding which was not (directly) budget related. 

Republicans shut down the government in 2013 because they wanted to take away people’s healthcare. 

Democrats (and centrist Republicans) shut down the government in 2018 because they refused to allow promises about not deporting kids from their high school classrooms to go unkept. 

#bothsides 

Obamacare certainly was budget related. 

1 hour ago, twa said:

Trump suggests going nuclear on budget deal.

Dem minority whip says

“I can tell you that would be the end of the Senate as it was originally devised and created going back to our founding fathers,”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/21/government-shutdown-durbin-nuclear-option-353881

Odd the Dems going nuclear before didn't......or did it?

Imagine they wouldn't retain the 5 dem votes they have so no point in doing this. If they thought it would work they definitely would.

I'll say it again, it seems ridiculous to me that a simple majority is needed to change a rule that otherwise demands a 2/3s vote.

I'll also say that if their first move is to go nuclear again... these are the worst deal makers and negotiators in history.

5 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'll say it again, it seems ridiculous to me that a simple majority is needed to change a rule that otherwise demands a 2/3s vote.

I'll also say that if their first move is to go nuclear again... these are the worst deal makers and negotiators in history.

Agree with you even worse than Obama imo. (Well domestically at least).

I'm sitting on the ship today and will be until tomorrow morning because I have duty.  I'm not at home doing whatever I would like to do on a Sunday.  I am at work, in uniform, doing what I need to do.  I will still respond to whatever situations arise while I am on duty.  Will I get paid for it?  Who the **** knows????

I don't really give a damn what party you think caused this.  The elected officials who represent us need to fix it!

This all reminds me of the time that I wanted to eat my daughter's pet bunny. She was all indignant about it so I went to the pet store and bought a puppy, brought it home, threw it in a pot of water and put it on the stove. As it was heating up, I told the little princess that she could save the puppy if she would just shut up and stop complaining about me eating her bunny. Well she wouldn't. I had to listen to her whine about the boiling puppy all through bunny dinner and all I was trying to do was just enjoy my meal....

Not my fault she doesn't care about puppies.

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

Why should this be protracted?  By Tuesday the Democrats will have made their point, and the GOP promise on DACA plus their anti-immigrant stand will be solidified.  Schumer can come back and say "we are not the party of 'take my ball and go home' ". 

I don't know -- that is how I would play it if I were the Dems.  If I were the GOP I would have worked on the spending/budget cap and DACA issue in January.  Now we actually have to worry about the WH too, because Trump is such a wild card.... sounded like he had a deal with Schumer, but his advisors kneecap'd it....

Not advisors.  His masters in Talk Radio and Fox & Friends.  If they don't approve, Trump will back out of any deal he may agree to.

19 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm sitting on the ship today and will be until tomorrow morning because I have duty.  I'm not at home doing whatever I would like to do on a Sunday.  I am at work, in uniform, doing what I need to do.  I will still respond to whatever situations arise while I am on duty.  Will I get paid for it?  Who the **** knows????

I don't really give a damn what party you think caused this.  The elected officials who represent us need to fix it!

Of course you will get paid for it. In fact, someone yesterday tried to make sure the pay would happen on time. Turtle Mcconnell shut it down.

How about the government actually govern in a adult manner and pass a budget?  Not looking for a bill just to make sure I get paid while they screw around with everything else.  Not looking for another CR or some other manner of kicking the can down the road.  I'm looking for those charged with governing to actually govern.  And yes, that is both sides.

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

How about the government actually govern in a adult manner and pass a budget?  Not looking for a bill just to make sure I get paid while they screw around with everything else.  Not looking for another CR or some other manner of kicking the can down the road.  I'm looking for those charged with governing to actually govern.  And yes, that is both sides.

We better make sure Obamacare is fully funded and then some if the government actually governed in an adult manner...because I think we'd all have heart attacks.

@TheGreatBuzz

Agree about governing in adult manner - but this is politics -they need to get attention... election year is coming. 

I agree, but the GOP can't as a majority expect that all the new tricks/tactics of fabricated crises were going to be forgotten when there was a GOP President in there.

They can't agree on spending caps post-Sequestration (GOP wants more for military, Dems want more for domestic spending). 

Tying DACA is the Democrat's way to say, "We are not going to forget about the Dreamers..." I hope that if this goes on they just accept the 3-week CR and say, "Yes, but now we all know that Trump/GOP promised to do something on DACA..."

Apparently there was a deal to be had and it got kneecap'd... Senate is back in session again today -correct?

@BenningRoadSkin This article shows what looks like the Dems blocking a troops pay plan. 

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/house-tees-up-bills-to-pay-troops-civilians-in-case-of-shutdown/article/2646388

and this article does a pretty good job of showing both sides acting like children (in my opinion)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/01/19/senate-blocks-bill-avoid-shutdown-mcconnell-scrambles-last-ditch-deal-democrats/1049878001/

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

@BenningRoadSkin This article shows what looks like the Dems blocking a troops pay plan. 

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/house-tees-up-bills-to-pay-troops-civilians-in-case-of-shutdown/article/2646388

and this article does a pretty good job of showing both sides acting like children (in my opinion)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/01/19/senate-blocks-bill-avoid-shutdown-mcconnell-scrambles-last-ditch-deal-democrats/1049878001/

It should be noted that during the last government shutdown Obama found a way to keep the military funded, but closed the monuments and museums. This time around, Trump kept the monuments and museums opened, but said he couldn't pay the military.

Priorities?

5 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I do not see anything in the first link that shows it was blocked by the Dems. Did I miss that info in that link? Dem's did block the CR because, as usual now, the GOP failed to work with them on it.

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I do not see anything in the first link that shows it was blocked by the Dems. Did I miss that info in that link? Dem's did block the CR because, as usual now, the GOP failed to work with them on it.

7th paragraph.  Not sure why it won't let me copy and paste.

I want to get a group of people together to start a movement for a new amendment to the constitution.  

This amendment would outline the procedures for a Vote of No Confidence.

I’d be happy with a survey monkey poll, and if more than 50% vote yes, all members of congrsss and executive would be sent to Siberia and not permitted to run for re-election.  Now if Putin wants to grant them citizenship and allow them to run in Russia, that’s on him.

thay said, I’d be open to less drastic and more controlled options.

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

I think the CR (which is what that paragraph is talking about) and the two bills in the original title of the article are separate. Aren't they?

I don't believe so but I could be wrong.  I haven't done a ton of research because I am honestly not that worried about assigning blame to a specific group other than the group labeled "politicians".   I wish they would all get their heads out of their asses.  What pisses me off the most is how much in limbo my tasking is.  Will my crane be here tomorrow for the things I am supposed to have loaded on the ship?  No one seems to really know. 

I think we need to end career politicians. How about we treat Congress and the Senate like military reserves?  Have real jobs and take 2 weeks off every quarter to go to Washington to govern? EVERYTHING has to be done in 2 weeks for the next quarter. Elections every year, split equally so that half the House and Senate turnover every year. Maximum of 4 consecutive/8 cumulative terms. No member is allowed to have been ever been employed or consulted for any lobbying group. Pay is only for the time spent in Washington, on an hourly basis. 

Archived