Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The *Budget Fight* Thread (Jan 2018 Edition)-

Fergasun

5 minutes ago, Burgold said:

After this budget and the GOP tax reform can we finally put to bed the idea that Republicans are fiscal conservatives. At least Dems try to pay for their spending.

"But but the 6% economic growth will pay for the tax scam!"~ said by multiple puling Rs in denial of their own hypocrisy as they move forward with deporting hundreds of thousands of young, motivated workers that we need to actually fill any jobs created

I am so utterly grateful that there are no filters, TOS or mod restrictions on my comments at home, I'd be getting ban hammer whacked almost constantly

22 minutes ago, twa said:

judging by the debt they don't try real hard

"But if you just use different yardsticks to measure Democrats vs My Team, then you can pretend that the Demicrats are responsible for what My Team actually did, and is continuing to do". 

2 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Well then, after another mess, its resolved, and the biggest slowdown was thanks to Rand Paul.

Now will Senate Dems be rewarded for not mucking things up with an actual debate on DACA?

My prediction is that the Republicans will vote no on DACA or refuse to debate citing that the debt occurred by the budget and tax reform left the government no money for assimilation or the processes required.

About this, they will suddenly care about debt. Then, they'll sign another military appropriation bill setting aside 10 billion dollars for the purchase of three toaster ovens.

52 minutes ago, Larry said:

"But if you just use different yardsticks to measure Democrats vs My Team, then you can pretend that the Demicrats are responsible for what My Team actually did, and is continuing to do". 

I use the same yardstick as ever,and I don't pretend the budget 'surplus' came from Clinton either.

This is the largest increase in federal spending since the stimulus passed during the depths of the Great Recession. Republicans almost universally opposed that bill in 2009, which cost $787 billion over 10 years, on the grounds that it would increase the debt too much. The only difference between now and then is that the economy is firing on all cylinders and doesn’t need stimulus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2018/02/09/daily-202-rand-paul-s-short-lived-shutdown-is-ending-but-his-warning-about-gop-deficit-hypocrisy-reverberates/5a7d1f8530fb041c3c7d773f/?hpid=hp_rhp-top-table-main_no-name%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.e6b579345fdd

Well, there are some other differences between 09 and now, too.  

In '09, the Republicans were the minority party.  The economy was a disaster.  And a bad economy causes voters to vote against the party in power.  In '09, it was to the Republican Party's political advantage for the economy to be bad.  Because, if it's good, then the voters will tend to vote D.  

3 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

My sister had to go in and sign her paperowrk for the furlough and had to leave since the president didnt sign the budget yet. I'm sure there are alot of fed workers in  the same situation.

My agency never sent out the furlough notices, expecting things would be taken care of.  I had to log on this morning to tell my staff to log off and stop working, only to then have to make contact with all of them less than an hour later advising them to log back on.

What I'm trying to figure out is how a two year budget deal only funds the government for another 6-7 weeks.  We'll be doing this dance again soon.

Archived