Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The *Budget Fight* Thread (Jan 2018 Edition)-

Fergasun

2 hours ago, No Excuses said:

You have to read the language carefully when the hard right says “no amnesty”. This includes any legal protections.

This has been the far rights mantra every time immigration comes up. Bipartisan agreements fail because any kind of legal protection is unacceptable.

You are probably right.  But the conditions on the ground are different this time and it may lead to a different outcome.  House Republicans are feeling a blue wave coming and the sitting Republican president is extraordinarily unpopular.  Moderate Republicans are simultaneously empowered to work with Democrats & they probably need to hope to keep their seats in November.  This could be the time to get a deal done.  Even a limited one would be progress.

39 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You are probably right.  But the conditions on the ground are different this time and it may lead to a different outcome.  House Republicans are feeling a blue wave coming and the sitting Republican president is extraordinarily unpopular.  Moderate Republicans are simultaneously empowered to work with Democrats & they probably need to hope to keep their seats in November.  This could be the time to get a deal done.  Even a limited one would be progress.

I hope so. But I have zero faith in Paul Ryan to stand up to the extremist wing of the House. He is a spineless wimp.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Making no deal means they could be subject to deportation starting in March.  Protecting them from this is the first concern.

I disagree. You force the GOP to either give citizenship or to deport dreamers. The latter is not something they want to have to defend.  

24 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Sure seems like you are willing to gamble with the lives of those you say you are so concerned about.

It’s not a gamble. Only racist GOP members want them gone. Which is why it would overwhelming pass the house and Senate. Have one dreamer being led out of the military or one teacher that kids love in a conservative area and that will put an end to it if it comes to that. Plus, the Dems cannot roll over when it’s the GOP that put them in this position. I’m not sure even Trump is dumb enough to let them start getting arrested and deported.

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

It’s not a gamble. Only racist GOP members want them gone. Which is why it would overwhelming pass the house and Senate. Have one dreamer being led out of the military or one teacher that kids love in a conservative area and that will put an end to it if it comes to that. Plus, the Dems cannot roll over when it’s the GOP that put them in this position. I’m not sure even Trump is dumb enough to let them start getting arrested and deported.

Sounds similar to how almost everyone agrees that we want bump stocks ban and we have pictures of dead people all over the place yet it still doesn't happen. Don't think that the people in DC listen to what the people in the rest of the country want.

9 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Sounds similar to how almost everyone agrees that we want bump stocks ban and we have pictures of dead people all over the place yet it still doesn't happen. Don't think that the people in DC listen to what the people in the rest of the country want.

I don't think there is a counter force as strong as the NRA when it comes to these two issues. If that makes sense. You certainly could be right, particularly with the house leadership and Stephen Miller being in the picture. 

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Yup

Unless the thing about the deal being off the table is inaccurate?

(I literally only know what's been posted in the last 2 pages. Not kidding, too busy today :( )

Well he probably took it off the table to allow him to offer it again. Just a negotiating tactic.

If that's really where Trump stands, I'd want to confirm if he's talking about approving extensions or pathway to citizenship concerning DACA.  It shouldn't have to come to this, but if is indeed pathway to citizienship and extensions until the process is complete, Dems should vote for wall to seal it.  It's clear its not going to symbolically stretch over the entire southern border. Just get something done for ****s sake.

Archived