Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

6 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Maybe they made Grant prove he can run outs on oiled up astro turf. He kept falling so they failed him. 

Grant is a fine player, just because certain media didn't like him is not here or there.. 

The Ravens did him wrong, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him back here.

Alex isn't afraid to throw to his wideouts.

8 minutes ago, dyst said:

Oh yea.... well what are you gonna do about it!!! 

Tape those fists up and give em a good Ol' beating.  *Insert HHH theme*  

From what I can tell we haven't had a lot of restructures and our Tier 2 players get a lot more than those other teams.  Although, like yourself I find it weird we have so little available.  Seems to be a few botches, but I ain't great at maths.  Also I assume we have more guys making 10mil +  but those other teams have a lot of contracts that seem high as well.  The Browns at 100 mil seems weird to me when I looked at their payroll.  They even took on Osweiler's contract.  NFL should have some NBA type rules where if you draft well you can go over the cap by a few % to sign drafted players if they wish to stay.  Noting crazy but enough to keep a solid core of 15 players around.  

2 minutes ago, worldpost said:

Grant is a fine player, just because certain media didn't like him is not here or there.. 

The Ravens did him wrong, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him back here.

Alex isn't afraid to throw to his wideouts.

IMO, we got Paul Richardson and we need to focus the money on DL or CB now. 

I hear Grant has "crabtree on the knee".

Clearly the Ravens used a loophole to get out of an unpopular contract when they heard Crabtree became available.

Shocker they've already set up a meeting for Friday with him.

If Grant isn't legitimately injured I hope he files a grievance. Its exactly what they deserve.

B-b-b-but, but Grant is awesome! It was going to be yet another perfect player being let go without any effort from the team to keep him and then he'd cash in with a "good" team. God forbid he might actually be just average!

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

Few things I am thinking, the 3rd rd. comp pick should be the first comp pick awarded, so that's a 3 rd pick In my book pick 33.

Not sure I understand.

A. Pick 33 is a 2nd pick.

B. Comp picks begin at the end of the 3rd round.

Generally the 1st comp pick his pick number 97, baring no team had to forfeit a pick. 

4 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

Not sure I understand.

A. Pick 33 is a 2nd pick.

B. Comp picks begin at the end of the 3rd round.

Generally the 1st comp pick his pick number 97, baring no team had to forfeit a pick. 

some people count each rounds picks indvidually.  So it's  be the 33rd pick of the third round

1 hour ago, Mr.Will said:

He’s a free agent

And no. If you want to go vet RB then I think there is a case to argue for adding Demarco Murray.

Bibb's, Thompson, Murray.

Only so many carries to go around.

Last season in a committee with Henry he had 700 yards and 187 carries (12 a game). He is also a good short yardage back. Chris isn’t a 20 carry guy, he would break down again. Would be a good fit 

A move like that opens up the first round pick in the draft to take a DL and eliminates a need at RB. 

Has drawbacks, he’s 30 but comp picks uneffected and likely be expensive but would improve the team

41 minutes ago, oraphus said:

10+m per year for a slot corner or safety backup is way too much, plus fs is not his strength. Nicholson looks good but he cant seem to stay on the field. Mathieu is more of an in the box SS which is what Sweringer is and what Skins were trying to groom Cravens in to.

He played FS in 1 and 2 wide sets.  I get your point that 10+ is a lot to pay for a slot receiver though.  My take is that 1) that’s paying the piper for losing Fuller and why we should have kept him, 2) Nicholson does have injury concerns... guess who would alleviate that issue?, 2) the idea would be that we’d move on from Norman next year, so we’d be left with Mathieu, Dunbar, Moreau and Holsey.  One expensive contract (far less than Norman’s though), and the rest are cheap.  Presumably, we’d also add a rookie this year and/or next - another cheap contract.  Factor in Nicholson’s rookie salary and Swearinger’s moderate one and we have a solid, cheap secondary.  Doesn’t hurt to mention (my understanding is) that the Honey Badger  doesn’t cancel out our potential 3rd round comp pick.  

I’ll add these last two things supporting signing him... we’ve been talking about adding impact players and not overpaying for Jags, well this is one way to do that.  Lastly, we’re in a tough spot at slot corner - we really struggled with the position for years until Fuller emerged, so I’d like to see it addressed.  Holsey is intriguing, but completely unproven.  He does give us depth at the spot though.  

Anyway, those are my reasons for wanting him, but I can’t overlook the reasons not to.  It’s a lot of money for a slot guy, he takes opportunities from Holsey, he uses up our remaining cap.  This last one’s big because of our remaining needs.  I think we need a good nose tackle, a solid LG option, a starting back, and high level competition at corner and OLB.  Corner because we need a successor for Norman and could use depth at outside corner, and OLB because we lost Murphy/Galette, don’t know if Anderson can man the #3 spot well enough, and we face the prospect of losing Smith next year.  

That’s a lot to address with zero remaining cap, and lacking the 3rd round pick.  Maybe one of Catalina, Kalis, Kouandijo and Nsheke can man the G spot, maybe we answer 2 more spots in the 1st (DL) and 2nd (RB)... but that still leaves OLB and corner... not to mention a developmental qb, a TE, and a flier (or more) on a receiver.  It would take a lot of luck to check all those boxes.  

With that said, every team has weaker areas, so the chance at not addressing a hole somewhere to gain a versatile, impact player is sorely tempting.  

Frankly though , I just can’t see Allen paying that much, especially since it would be a constant reminder that we were paying Fuller peanuts and gave him away.  A reminder that we could have held onto Fuller instead and paid Cousins, saved significant money with a Keenum type, or saved a boatload with a drafted qb and/or McCoy.  Similar theory as to why I don’t see us signing a FA contract that cancels out the comp pick for Cousins.  

13 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

And no. If you want to go vet RB then I think there is a case to argue for adding Demarco. Bibbs, Thompson, Murray. Only so many carries to go around. Last season in a committee with Henry he had 700 yards and 187 carries (12 a game). He is also a good short yardage back. Chris isn’t a 20 carry guy, he would break down again. Would be a good fit the hill to the gio 

It opens up the first pick in the draft and eliminates a need. Has drawbacks, he's 30 and will eliminate a comp pick and be expensive but would improve the team for two years

Murray was a cut, he wouldn't affect comp picks

10 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I still don't know why folks are saying Grant was wronged with nothing more than Crabtree on the market

You think if they had Antonia Brown, they would have failed him over an ankle sprain? Basically they wanted out.

8 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I still don't know why folks are saying Grant was wronged with nothing more than Crabtree on the market

An ankle injury?  Not a neck injury or a back injury.  I think it might be time for Grant to call a lawyer.  

Archived