Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

58 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Looking like DRC and Gallette sometime today or later this week.

Would like to find a way to get Logan in.  That would be an "A" FA period for me. 

Would love the Honey Badger, doesn't look like it's in the cards.

HB definitely not in the Cards, they released him.  ;)

28 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Somewhere you have to pick up a starting left guard.  

Because right now now my kid sister is penciled in as a starter, and she’s 4 foot 9 and a half...

And still better than Shawn Lauvao....

5 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

HB definitely not in the Cards, they released him.  ;)

Dad-Joke-U.jpg

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

No, just $16,937,500.

Phew.  17 sticks would be too much. :rofl89:

i would kook to restructure and extend Norman and being that cap number down.  Give them more room to be aggressive with HB if they want to be.

But I like Norman and would like to see him here long term 

A contrarian thought on the DL (which I'm not sure that I agree with).

Jonathan Allen and Matt Ionadis look pretty strong and should improve (assuming injuries don't get in the way)

Anthony Lanier flashed more than Matt did. He may be a good rotation guy.

McClain and McGee were just signed last year and were learning the system. 

Hood isn't a bad rotational guy though they consistently misuse him at nose. Mind you, he looked pretty good there when Allen and Matt were firing on all cylinders.

It's possible that DL is not as bad as we think. The question revolves around a couple important questions. How much does Allen and Ionadis improve in their second years and do they come back well from injury. Does Manusky and Tomsula understand better how to use these players and will they scheme to their strengths/Do the players get what's required of them and with greater scheme comfort get better? Will these guys develop chemistry and trust? Remember, that last year was the first year any of these guys played together. This was an entirely new D Line and they were learning each other and the scheme on the go.

So while I agree it'd be good to get more on the D Line I don't know that the cupboard is bare. We really only need to get someone with a high ceiling. The only really missing piece to this puzzle is the ever present question of NT.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the Kirk led push for more guaranteed monies led to a more stringent physical for Ryan Grant. Kirk very much helped create Grant into what he is today.

I still say if teams are willing to give out that amount of guaranteed money to players of his caliber, they are morons doing so knowing the player is injured.  Grant may not have gotten the injury properly taken care of being the end of the season and all, which can lead to complications.

11 minutes ago, Burgold said:

A contrarian thought on the DL (which I'm not sure that I agree with).

Jonathan Allen and Matt Ionadis look pretty strong and should improve (assuming injuries don't get in the way)

Anthony Lanier flashed more than Matt did. He may be a good rotation guy.

McClain and McGee were just signed last year and were learning the system. 

Hood isn't a bad rotational guy though they consistently misuse him at nose. Mind you, he looked pretty good there when Allen and Matt were firing on all cylinders.

It's possible that DL is not as bad as we think. The question revolves around a couple important questions. How much does Allen and Ionadis improve in their second years and do they come back well from injury. Does Manusky and Tomsula understand better how to use these players and will they scheme to their strengths/Do the players get what's required of them and with greater scheme comfort get better? Will these guys develop chemistry and trust? Remember, that last year was the first year any of these guys played together. This was an entirely new D Line and they were learning each other and the scheme on the go.

So while I agree it'd be good to get more on the D Line I don't know that the cupboard is bare. We really only need to get someone with a high ceiling. The only really missing piece to this puzzle is the ever present question of NT.

Sup fellow Skin fans. Been a while....

This post prompted me to comment as i very much agree.  I don't think our cupboard is bare at all.  We have decent depth all over the field and the injuries last year showed us what we have and many of those depth players got a lot of experience.

At this point we just need playmakers on the team.  2 or 3 real difference makers.  I'd say a monster linebacker (Luke kuechly type) or pass rusher although Kerrigan is still great, maybe a superstar safety (I wanted the Honey Badger 4 years ago).  A game changing back and obviously an interior lineman.  Oh and a healthy Jordan Reed.

Just my two cents... Good talking to you guys again...

35 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

So I think we're more likely to wait for a second coming of Chris Baker or Anthony Lanier or Junior Galette (with the Saints) or just somebody like the WR Quick who isn't a known but can come in and perform.

I hope not.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

DRC on a deal.  Gallette the same.

Draft Vita Vea in the first, and the best RB available in the 2nd.

If FA ends like this then yeah to me what you say above becomes a no brainer.  I am tired of patch work on the D line and RB.  We've not been able to stop the run or run the ball in eons.  Yeah I know there is always an excuse for it but regardless it always happens.  Jonathan Allen was a godsend that dropped to our pick.  That's nice.  But the work isn't done there.  In FA, picking through the 3rd tier bin hasn't worked at D line.  And in the draft likewise picking through the 3rd tier guys hasn't worked either.  Definition of insanity -- try the same thing, expect different results.

I recall last year people were saying chill about the lack of urgency in finding a nose tackle and adding a major D lineman in FA.  It will work itself out.  Well, it didn't.  We have some nice pieces -- young guys, that's great.  But again look at the Eagles obsession with adding talent on that side of the ball.  It's a rotational position.  And guys get hurt. 

41 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There will I’ll be injuries, as you said. My biggest gripe will be if we lose the same guys who we’ve lost in years past and then point to injuries as an excuse. At thins point it’s a trend with a lot of these guys. Availability is one of the key components of playing football.

Shrug.  If we don’t stay healthy, if it’s the same guys, and we lose, I’m going to blame management

Bruce flat out said something to the effect of all these guys coming off of injured reserved and back from injuries -- is like having a new team.  I get the thought.  But the NFL is all about depth.  And heck the fact that guys are coming off injuries if anything often makes them more susceptible versus less susceptible to getting hurt again.  I am with you as for not taking them off the hook if they get hit again with massive injuries.  I am with you that this is a no excuses season.  I have a different definition from you as to who management actually is -- but I suspect Jay is collateral damage either way so the point is moot.  For me I put it squarely on the FO.

And again, this isn't me condemning the FO.  The off season is still young.  Will see what happens.  But I am one of these over the top D line guys.  And I won't be happy if for example Ziggy Hood is the nose tackle again.    Imagine if the Giants draft Barkley.  Heck Darkwa looked like Walter Payton against our run defense.  Imagine Barkley.  And I am not going to count on this time all the D lineman will be healthy.  You never know but there is a reason why guys in particular on the D line tend to get banged up.

1. LB Kareem Martin on the Giants maybe adding his former teammate, The Honey Badger, too: "Oh man. That would be amazing. He's such a great player. He's a playmaker. And Bettcher knows how to put him in the right spots. I would love to have him come here and play with him."

0 replies1 retweet0 likes

Retweet

Direct message

Free agent CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie has indicated to me that he's in no rush to make a decision in free agency, at this time. As for when DRC is-- currently-- hoping to make a decision & sign, he told me this morning, "in April sometime."

More

Tyrann Mathieu is still deciding which teams he’s going to visit. The Giants, Jets and Packers are three teams that are “still in it at the moment.” (via @joearrigo)

36 replies300 retweets850 likes

Craig Hoffman Retweeted Josina Anderson

#Redskins and DRC are playing the game. We could be here a while. They like each other. They don't like each other's prices. Each waiting for the other to budge.

Allen, Ionaddis seem to be a good young core with a few good rotational guys like Lanier.

The Mc's and Hoods should be phased out as new talent is added. 

If we were to sign Logan,  one of those guys would be released imo.  That would make the cap hit overall a bit less.  

I think the skins should trade back a few if possible, but consider best RB in first and see what DT talent is in 2nd.  I get why people want Vea/Payne, but the way things have shaped up, I think we can get some DL help in FA.  

LG should be a competition of NSeckhe, Kalis and Arie.  I know that a bigger name would be nice, but I don't want to see FA $$ there when we have other needs that are bigger.  And getting average guys as place holders does add up to our final cap number.

After that, all around explosive RB is our biggest need.  And I don't want to pay for that in FA.  Outside of Bell having the tag recinded, it's not there.  Even if it was, that's waaaay too much money.  

Craig Hoffman Retweeted Ian Rapoport

As I said yesterday on the show with Galette...they're talking. Actually as I've been saying for two days. They're 100% in the mix.

Craig Hoffman added,

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
As teams try to hold onto their own players, two to watch: The #Redskins are in negotiations with OLB Junior Galette and the #Seahawks are in talks to bring back CB Byron Maxwell. Both of those talks are ongoing.
0 replies0 retweets0 likes

If I could get Pugh relatively cheap, I'd do it.  

Justin Pugh (back) and Jack Mewhort (knees) have had slow markets. Speaks to how highly NFL teams feel about this interior OL class and how down they are on the second-tier guys in free agency.

Looking at Junior Galette’s Twitter feed, he appears a bit thirsty for a big pay day.  I’m sure the Skins gave him a fair enough offer.  Take it or leave it.  Showing improvement last season after two straight missed seasons due to injury doesn’t warrant you big $$ 

I’m loving the restraint that the Skins have shown this offseason.  Much different approach from seasons past when it was just bring a guy in here, give him what he wants, sign him & then the inevitable fact that they never live up to the contract.  Play hardball.  Make them earn it!

3 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Looking at Junior Galette’s Twitter feed, he appears a bit thirsty for a big pay day.  I’m sure the Skins gave him a fair enough offer.  Take it or leave it.  Showing improvement last season after two straight missed seasons due to injury doesn’t warrant you big $$ 

I’m loving the restraint that the Skins have shown this offseason.  Much different approach from seasons past when it was just bring a guy in here, give him what he wants, sign him & then the inevitable fact that they never live up to the contract.  Play hardball.  Make them earn it!

Agreed, so far they have.

2 hours ago, Bang said:

If Baltimore's bullcrap forces Grant back at a reasonable deal, i wouldn't complain a bit. We are light at WR. We need him.

We resigned Quick, which is nice, but last year he was only targeted 8 times. What the hell is that? 

I like Mo Harris as a nice longshot to root for, but they tried to cut him last year and injury forced him back late in the year.

Pryor isn't back, and isn't missed... but even with the addition of Richardson this group is still VERY light. After the starting 3 of Doctson, Crowder and Richardson, Harris and Robert Davis have a combined 12 career receptions (all by Harris. Davis hasn't been targeted). Quick hasn't been a factor.

We can definitely use Grant, and we could stand to draft another WR and maybe even look at late FA options and June 30 cuts.

~Bang

Personally, I think Harris can give the Skins the same thing as Grant given the opportunity.  I'd much rather use the draft and UDFA to find a couple guys to compete for the backup WR spots.  No need for Grant, Harris, and Quick imo

6 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Personally, I think Harris can give the Skins the same thing as Grant given the opportunity.  I'd much rather use the draft and UDFA to find a couple guys to compete for the backup WR spots.  No need for Grant, Harris, and Quick imo

Quick is back FYI..

33 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

LG should be a competition of NSeckhe, Kalis and Arie.  I know that a bigger name would be nice, but I don't want to see FA $$ there when we have other needs that are bigger.  And getting average guys as place holders does add up to our final cap number.

After that, all around explosive RB is our biggest need.  And I don't want to pay for that in FA.  Outside of Bell having the tag recinded, it's not there.  Even if it was, that's waaaay too much money.  

I just posted this over in the draft forum, but unless we sign a Mewhort/Cooper type to a 3-4 year deal worth $12m, I see us going LG in one of the first 3 picks. I could even see us trading down from 13 and getting another pick and taking a Guard/RB there in the 20s, and then the opposite position at 44.

Beginning next year and assuming we pick up the 5th year option and/or extend Scherff:

Trent APY through 2020 is about $15m

Moses APY through 2022 is $7.5m

Scherff APY through 2023 (extension) would be around $12-13m ... his 5th year option for next year is $12.5m

Fortunately if Roullier cements the C position, we have one spot locked in through 2020 for $650k APY

Drafting a LG in the 1st or 2nd will give us a guy under control through either 2021 or 2022 and at an APY of $3-4m if in the 1st and $1-2m in the 2nd or $800k if in the 4th.

Big reason we didn't bring back Long ... we know what's coming with Scherff and what we already have committed to Moses and Trent ... drafting your LG is the answer. And if you want them to start immediately, you you're best off getting a guy in the 1st or 2nd than waiting til the 4th and A) hoping someone falls or B drafting a guy and hoping he can be coached up and not have a massive learning curve.

I’m not super hype on resigning Gallete. We essentially have the same pass rushers as last year, not including Murphy but he didn’t play. I’d rather see Anderson take more snaps than Junior Gallete. He didn’t amaze me for any significant deal or anything, wasn’t a big difference maker IMO. Draft another OLB. 

VOR regarding a starting LG I wouldn't be surprised if Arie Kouandio ends up winning the LG job as he played very well in the last 5-6 games of the season after he was re-signed due to all of our OL injuries.

I believe he'll have the type of jump Morgan Moses did when everyone here was writing him off as a bust.

Also, for those who were banging the drum for Andrew Norwell (I was one, for the right price) ... signing him would have virtually guaranteed that Scherff wouldn't be back. Because there's just no way in hell that we'd commit to giving $25m a year to our two Guards on top of $23m a year to our Tackles. That's 25% of your cap space to 4 positions in one position group ... and as much as we should be valuing the OL, that just can't happen.

You have to put yourself in the position with the way these rookie contracts are structured (and allowing for mid-tier guys to get big deals like we've seen) ... you're going to have to resign to paying a max of 3 guys on the OL big money and have 2 others on rookie deals. Then when their rookie deals are up they either walk (Long) or you bring them back and move one of your high-paid guys off the line.

With Trent/Moses, you inevitably might be looking at moving on from Trent after 2020 and replacing him with a high-draft pick LT. Or if you re-sign Trent to a big deal at age 31 in 2020, you likely have to let Moses go when his deal is up in 2022 (or cut bait earlier) while you re-sign your hypothetical 2018 2nd year LG to a big extension.

That make sense? So rotating 2 rookie deals with 3 big contracts on the OL going forward. And we'll have that with Scherff, Williams and Moses through 2020-2022 window.

Fortunately, if you assume we extend Trent again soon, those 3 locked in through 2022 would be a great set-up ... it just means you need to draft well to fill the other to OL spots and let those guy walk when they're due big bucks.

18 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Agreed.  Guys like Harris, Robert Davis are drafted so you don't need to spend cap on Grant.  I think there should be a rule that your 4th-6th aren't getting big dollars.  It's not a good way to build a team.

1 minute ago, skinsOLfan said:

VOR regarding a starting LG I wouldn't be surprised if Arie Kouandio ends up winning the LG job as he played very well in the last 5-6 games of the season after he was re-signed due to all of our OL injuries.

I believe he'll have the type of jump Morgan Moses did when everyone here was writing him off as a bust.

I admittedly didn't pay much attention to Kandjaio's performance last year and had written him off. I was expecting him to emerge in camp and take over, and when he didn't and was cut, I wrote him off. But I, like you, thought going into the year he could make that next step. It takes time for OL-men not drafted in the 1st or 2nd to get settled in the NFL. Look at Long/Moses. If Kiandjiao can take that next step, then that's great. But I still see us needing some quality depth, and drafting an OG gets us that. Now, if the team internally thinks Arie is a good starter at LG this year, I could see them waiting until the 4th or 5th or 6th round to add that depth guy (ala Roullier in the 7th last year). But if there are concerns or question marks or the starting LG talk is more optimism/hope than reality, then we really should get our new LG in the 2nd round, or hope someone of high quality falls to the 4th and grab them there.

Archived