Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooley just savages him in his film reviews as for pass defense.  If I recall PFF too as for his pass defense.  But he's a beast as to stopping the run and IMO we need that.

Yeah, but i mean in previous years. He's a young guy who has had to learn a lot of systems. Opposing TEs have called him good in previous years so I wonder if he can improve. 

9 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Anyone who has played or coached the game knows he SUCKS in pass coverage :). I am fine with them bringing him back though. Foster is better in coverage. We need him to stay healthy.

I'm not going to push this too much but I woudnt mind seeing Vigil instead of Foster. He looked like he belonged, especially with that game sealing int that was called back, those were instincts. Foster is good too and I want us to draft an ilb but our depth here is improving. 

Brown was the best available ILB left in free agency.  Behind Foster, our ILBs are not that good.  So, even if we draft an ILB, we still needed one in free agency.  And even if we overpaid a little, we needed Brown.  Deal had to get done.

Per overthecap.com without including the Richardson and Brown deals we have ~$28M in cap space. We'll need ~$7M for the rookie contracts, so we might be getting close to the ceiling. Then again we can always restructure some deals, but it's probably important to know when you are getting close to the end of big spending. 

Just now, dswerdlw said:

Brown was the best available ILB left in free agency.  Behind Foster, our ILBs are not that good.  So, even if we draft an ILB, we still needed one in free agency.  And even if we overpaid a little, we needed Brown.  Deal had to get done.

I'd add that bringing back someone who's already done well in the uniform is good for the locker room. Let's players know this isn't just a stepping stone to a contract elsewhere. 

17 minutes ago, carex said:

how can there be a no tag clause in his contract?  The contract is over the next time the tag issue comes up?

It's happened before. Manning and Brees have both had no tag provisions in their contracts I believe. 

9 minutes ago, carex said:

here's hoping Pryor signs a high enough deal to get us a fourth.

I think I want the Skins to look for a LG in free agency, and DL in the draft

Based on what Long got, no way... Draft OG in the draft.

12 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Per overthecap.com without including the Richardson and Brown deals we have ~$28M in cap space. We'll need ~$7M for the rookie contracts, so we might be getting close to the ceiling. Then again we can always restructure some deals, but it's probably important to know when you are getting close to the end of big spending. 

Richardsons deals just over 4mil this year. Would imagine Browns is not much over 6mil. No cap issue.

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Doug Williams just said they were going to fix the RB situation.  Almost exact quote.

So, that gives me comfort they will do something, either FA or high draft pick...

I don't think there's anyone left in FA that would qualify as a "fix", so as most of us hoped/suspected we'll probably target the best guy in the 2nd. Of course we felt that way last year as well and watched teams steal Cook and Mixon from in front of us (if I remember correctly) 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I don't think there's anyone left in FA that would qualify as a "fix", so as most of us hoped/suspected we'll probably target the best guy in the 2nd. Of course we felt that way last year as well and watched teams steal Cook and Mixon from in front of us (if I remember correctly) 

I saw on Reddit Alfred Morris is available :)

3 minutes ago, carex said:

is there a starter quality G at the second round level?  Maybe we could get a tackle or center and switch them

Other than the dream of Honey Badger,  My two choice left in FA would be Logan or Jensen. That's where I would spend money right now. I'm hot on Jensen :rofl89:

That would blow our draft right open.

4 minutes ago, carex said:

is there a starter quality G at the second round level?  Maybe we could get a tackle or center and switch them

There are a few quality OG including Nelson. Given what Doug Williams said, we're going RB in round 1 or 2. If we came out of this draft without a defensive player in first 2 rounds I'd be pissed.

With that, projects can be hd in rounds 4-5 for interior OL

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

Well, we’ll see.  Doug’s been pretty consistent on the theme they need a better RB.  Said at the combine we averaged 1.6 rushing (I think he was exaggerating), and then unprompted he brought it up today at when he was introducing Alex Smith.

So my guess is they have a guy and they’re going to go get him somehow.  

Of course, it could be smoke or or might not work.  But he’s been consistent on it... 

I also think last year they were more confident that Kelley could do more.

I guess they aren’t as confident anymore.

Wow, can't believe they got Brown back  :headbang:

Not a bad contract either, dude was ALL over the field last year.  

Now maybe 1 more signing of 5-7 mil or two solid fill in players for that cash and we are spent outside of restructures.  (correct me if I am wrong)  

That's huge though getting that ILB in there.  Just need 1 RB, 1 WR, (Albert Wilson please) 1 LG,  1 DT, 1 CB.  3 of those 5 we can get in the draft. (maybe more)  Kind of feeling decent about this.  Till week 5 or so anyway.  

Archived