Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's how I see it, too.  If you are going for the McGees, McClains then IMO who cares, take your comp picks, instead, 

But I can care less about losing a comp pick for a marquee player.

This is exactly the problem. It feels like we're waiting to overpay that 2nd and 3rd tier of FAs again rather than slightly overpay impact guys. It's classic Bruce Allen. I'll take the comp picks and more room for UDFAs in camp over the JAG types you mention. 

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Paying 8M/year for an ILB who can't cover would be a mistake, even if it is nice to watch him beat RBs to the edge. Hopefully it's cheaper than that. 8M/year or a little more would have been much better spent on an impact DL

If I look at current market, then signing him below 7 is a steal. He is limted, agree with that. But if I look at the deals average players get...then 8 is around the max I would be okay with. I understand that pretty much the going rate for NFL defence starters that or okay to good. 

Given the deals we are seeing Brown at 8-9 Mil a year is fine with me. Sure he had coverage issues but he was a huge difference maker and we saw what happened to that run defense when he went out.  Other than Kirk this was most everyone's #1 re-sign priority.  

There will be about 30 teams interested in the Honey Badger, i don't see it.  I am interested in seeing how they fill out the OL seeing as they really don't have anyone in the pipeline and that has been a huge failure of this and the Scott tenure, to not draft a good young OL other than Chase and he's now a starter and not in the pipeline.

1 minute ago, SWFLSkins said:

YESSSS!!!!

Get that DL player!!

I was fine with P. Richardson, resign Zach and get a top tier DL. That is a successful FA period. Couple that with some likely comp picks, pretty good IMO

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

This is exactly the problem. It feels like we're waiting to overpay that 2nd and 3rd tier of FAs again rather than slightly overpay impact guys. It's classic Bruce Allen. I'll take the comp picks and more room for UDFAs in camp over the JAG types you mention. 

I agree.  Do I care that much if we got McClain or we ride with AJ Francis, for example.  On that stuff to me its a no brainer for a comp pick.

But if you think you got a monster at DT who is relatively young -- the odds are you aren't going to get a guy like that with your late third round pick on year later. 

Some talk about how Bruce plays FA without splashing money and he's more prudent than Vinny.  That's true and not true.  Bruce does indeed spend FA money but he likes to minimize risk by spreading the signings for multiple players.  That approach IMO has resulted in mostly lackluster signings -- but heck you don't have the big atom bomb style failures.  

Oddly enough when Bruce gets out of his comfort zone and signs the bigger names -- they mostly work out.  

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Is brown really that bad in coverage or was it his newness to the defense and injuries. I have read positive stories on his coverage skills

Slow to read and react.
Got to hope for Mason Foster being healthy, Cravens to be useful and JHC to be better than last year. 

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Is brown really that bad in coverage or was it his newness to the defense and injuries. I have read positive stories on his coverage skills

When Allen went out the coverage all over changed. Pair him with someone, and now your building something. 

4 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Cooley just savages him in his film reviews as for pass defense.  If I recall PFF too as for his pass defense.  But he's a beast as to stopping the run and IMO we need that.

This is an extremely active year in terms of trades (and it's proving a good way to get a player with multiple years left on their deal, since FA prices are crazy). Disappointing to not see us make moves, either coming or going or moving up or down for vets. 

I'm not saying I've seen a specific deal I wish we made instead. But it just always feels like we don't do our homework on this part of team building. Certainly not like the top personnel guys, and especially the aggressive ones like the Rams, Browns, Patriots, and Eagles GMs. I just really get the feeling that we aren't even in these talks or interested in those types of moves. Nobody in our FO has a good feel for that type of value so we don't use it like other teams, and when we do it comes out of nowhere and we likely overpay. 

Archived