Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

46 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Listen, we're not that far away. 

Week 1 vs Philly, Vegas has us a slight favorite to pick 'em. Meaning (and I understand how Vegas sets lines, save it), after all home field adjustments and betting preferences set, we really aren't that far off the eventual SB champs. And I agree, still aren't that far away from Philly, I think their secondary sucks. 

So, still with a proven competent NFL QB, a lot of offensive weapons, solid O line and a D on the build... Keep hope alive

Not you in particular, but haven't we as a fan base been saying "we're not that far away" for years now?

Not sure where the idea is coming from that we have cap space with room to burn on the high end.  Following the deals we have already done we are projected to have around $10 million left after accounting for signing our draft picks.  We are still actively trying to re-sign Galette which is needed now that Murphy is gone and we also still need to plug the hole at LG and slot corner.  One big deal will basically wipe us out.  We could start playing the cap manipulation game that other teams do but the Redskins way has been to pay as you go and not push cap hits into the future and personally I like it that way, manipulating the cap generally comes back to bite you eventually and you wind up with a ton of dead money.

Looking at what is out there in the draft I would be fine with them doing a deal with Galette and shoring up the LG position as priorities.  This draft is pretty rich in fat boys for the DL but good luck finding a starter for the OL unless you want to burn a 1st round pick there.  I do think our FO is good at this part at least, they get contracts right and don't overpay since the days of Haynesworth.  Eric might manage to plug all of our gaps in FA but if not then that is what the draft is for.  With a new QB, new weapons and and Zach re-signed I am happy to trust this part of the process.

7 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

We don't know what Matt I, Lanier, McGee will ultimately become. Maybe its just average players, but they've already shown they are better than lines we've had in the past. And its funny that you defend the Griffin and Cofield signings because those are more or less the type of signings I'm more in favor of (dont get me wrong I'm more in favor or just doing draft but I'd then prefer the mid-tier players than the big names).

The question is what Makes Poe or Suh or Haynesworth or Logan or Richardson etc and why can those teams seem to MAKE them and not us? What's the point of having the best DL coach if he can't develop players to become dominant players? If he needs top 5 guys to look good, then he's not that good. I think Tomsula is a really good DL coach and we can see what he did with some marginal players at NT in SF. Heck, we're seeing it this year with Matt I and Lanier.

So how much can we afford to put into the DL, and how much do we trust our scouts to find good talent and our coaches to develop that talent and make it into players that other teams want to overpay?

To a couple of your points. We have heard about Lanier with his potential before this past year. Plenty of guys have that magical "potential" word all over the league. And that is fine if you have something in front of them so they can develop properly. Otherwise you just have a bench player starting resulting in getting gashed while working through that learning curve. McGee is what McGee is. He is not going to get better. He is a fine rotational piece but nothing more than that. Rotational depth. Should not be starting. Matt I is a 5th round pick with room for growth. But if you told me last year he was going to be our second best player on that line then that to me is a failure after signing McGee and McClain. Bargain bin not working.

What makes Poe, Suh, Logan, and Richardson viable to us is because that individual player sends that line into top 10 territory in a hurry. Then you have two viable starters on that d-line and not just Allen who is still adapting to life in the NFL. Tomsula is a great coach but honest to god we have lineman who are not starters starting for us! Again I have to say that Matt I. and Lanier should not be starters. They should be depth. Good depth I grant you but they are just not starters. That is why that d-line gives up record yards. They should not be starting. It's like sending Tomsula in with a knife to a gun fight. He can only coach them up so much.

Affording is something that you can see other teams manage to do except the Redskins. Plenty of teams value that d-line money. Ours throw it at backers and corners. The problem is without a steady front even the best backers and corners look pedestrian. It's been too long for this d-line getting ripped to shreds to not address it properly and not bargain bin Walmart shop. Its been a proven thing year after year. And the point of them looking better at the start of the year only magnifies my point that they are depth guys and not starters. Allen went down and that line went to crap. He was the lynch pin. Period. He will be a star. But we needed a proven guy this year and we let them all walk. Draft can fix this yes but we have to hope that it hits rather than loads up another in the rotation with potential.

My only concern about signing a game DL is that I want a top end one. Too often it seems we sign a Okay-good D Linemen from Phil Daniels to the Mcs and stop there. 

The problem with with this approach is that it can get you to good, but it never gets you to great. We need more game changers. We don’t need more solid players. 

Galette, DRC, Tyrann Mathieu, Jonathan Cooper, Jack Mewhort, Bennie Logan

These are the guys that I would consider from the guys still out there. I'd suspect that Galette, Rodgers-Cromartie, Cooper and Mewhort would command $2-4m APY ... while Mathieu would likely be getting $10+ APY and Logan $5-6 APY

We do have about $10.5m in cap space, I'd suspect, after Brown deal hits and we factor for picks and in-season roster move space.

Do the math.

1 hour ago, Bonez3 said:

Listen, we're not that far away. 

Week 1 vs Philly, Vegas has us a slight favorite to pick 'em. Meaning (and I understand how Vegas sets lines, save it), after all home field adjustments and betting preferences set, we really aren't that far off the eventual SB champs. And I agree, still aren't that far away from Philly, I think their secondary sucks. 

So, still with a proven competent NFL QB, a lot of offensive weapons, solid O line and a D on the build... Keep hope alive

Well, going into that game Philly was far from a Superbowl favorite. They were coming off of a 7-9 campaign and NFL 'insider' Mike Lombardi said Doug Pederson was the least qualified head coach hire ever. 

Checked some Vegas odds and in week one they were a 40:1, meaning they were long shots at best. 

Edit: Found an article going into the 2017 season. Eagles were 40:1, Skins were 50:1. The fact that we were at home made it a wash. 

Back to your point it's more accurate to say Vegas had us as a pick'em game to a team with long odds to win the Superbowl. Let's not pretend teams that start with odds like 40:1 normally win the Superbowl. 

Is Logan better than the run stuffing DT's we can draft at 13?

it would be nice to stack players but we have $15M in cap space left, need $5M for rookie pool and we need a bank going into the season.

Seems like we're just about out of money.

Truth is we do need some impact, great players. We haven't added anything yet. Zach Brown is returning, and he's very good. Paul Richardson could offer the missing piece to our offense that we missed greatly last year. But I wouldn't pencil in either as "great" ...

Tyrann Matheiu is great.

DRC, Galette, Cooper, Mewhort are solid to good.

Bennie Logan, eh. Not sure. He fits a big need. Not sure he'd be great, though he would probably elevate a unit to "great," if that makes sense.

Two picks in April to bring in "great." Given the RBs in this class, I think you've got a shot at "great" being a RB at 44 who makes an immediate impact.

At #13, we'll have to wait and see, I guess.

37 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

But every year it IS a different debate because there are new players involved.

I know.  And we've all had this FA debate in various forms year after year.  And nope its not happened yet that the FO approach has been vindicated.   Be one thing if its Shanny on RBs where he has an unconventional approach but he's vindicated just about every time.  This is the reverse of that.  Building a D line has been this teams achilles heel. and yeah I agree there is a different reasons why each season.  But one common denominator is skipping the big name DTs in FA.  And for the most part, we've seen Plan B here fail and these big name DTs thrive elsewhere.  And that's not 20-20 hindsight. 

Allen who has the potential to be the DPOY, he was mocked in JUST ABOUT EVERY MOCK DRAFT to go number 2 overall and called the best lineman in the nation. This is a different line than we had a few years ago.

Agree.  But he's just one guy.  Why are the Superbowl champions with a loaded D line, loading up even more?  Why bother with M. Bennett when you already got F. Cox and Jernigan?  Why are the Vikings with arguably the best defense in the league and a loaded D line arguably signing the best D lineman anyway on the market?   Those are the teams that have earned the benefit of the doubt especially on building a defense not the Redskins.

And its funny that you defend the Griffin and Cofield signings because those are more or less the type of signings I'm more in favor of (dont get me wrong I'm more in favor or just doing draft but I'd then prefer the mid-tier players than the big names).

Those are better than mid-tier players for me.  Those are in the Swearinger-Z. Brown range.  Guys who were good players and ascending.  They aren't the top of the market but the tier just below.  Similar to not Allen Robinson but Paul Richardson -- not the top guy but the 3rd-4th top guy.  But they haven't played that game with DT in FA for the most part.  They go a tier below that.  McGee was no Cofield or C. Griffin.

But the DL is just one position. The key point is that we can't overspend everywhere. If we spend at DL it means we have less money to go to our LBs or our secondary or our QB etc.

This is probably the core of our disagreement.  I believe in the cliche that games are won in the trenches.  DL to me isn't just one position but the KEY position for a killer defense -- that along with the pass rush.  Your front 4.

So how much can we afford to put into the DL, and how much do we trust our scouts to find good talent and our coaches to develop that talent and make it into players that other teams want to overpay?

This reminds me a little of our WR debate with lets see what M. Harris can do, etc.  My question to you is do you think Jay-Bruce and company are back if they go 8-8?  Bruce telling Dan yeah H. Roseman fixed it in 2 years in Philly.  The Redskins were off on a few things this year but I told you when you hired me it will take me at least 10 years to build a winner.  Just be patient.    

Forgive the sarcasm, my point is I don't think Bruce and or Jay are in a let the guys develop year and see what happens.  I think they are both under the gun. 

Oh, and there's also the annual "Ah, right" realization that I have.

It's easy to get hyped-up going into the off-season that as a GM you'd be able to make the right choices to help fill all the holes on your team. The truth is, you're never going to fill every hole. You're going to have to rely on some question-marks and hope things work out.

I think the most likely off-season scenario at this point, the rest of the way, is that we bring back Junior Galette ($3-4m/yr) and sign Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie for a similar 3 year/$15m with incentives type of deal. And then your usual camp-fodder. Wouldn't shock me if yes, we bring back Phil Taylor.

That sends you into the draft with pretty big "question marks" or "below-average" situations at: RB1, Safety (Depth), NT, LG, ILB2

All things considered, that's not terrible. And hopefully the draft can start to chip away at these and still allow to create depth elsewhere.

The point raised above about letting Kiandjaio compete with Kalis at LG is both terrifying but understandable. It is just frustrating because you're seemingly so close to being a dominant OL.

18 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

I'm sorry but what is the plan in Seattle? I understand that Russel Wilson has blown up the team because he now gets paid and they need to get in fresh cheap young players. But I feel like they just want 12 new players in D line up. 

Edit: have my answer. Thomas is in his final year. So they want to sell him now high, instead of letting him walk free. Will cost a first rounder plus additional pick. 

I also think they are pressing the reset button on the roster. When they drafted Wilson and realized they had a quality starter there they had extra cap space for defense. Now that he'll have a franchise QB cap number they are purging themselves of expensive 30+ year old players to restock with younger contracts. My guess is they want to ensure they are competitive 3-5 years from now and this past season was the last run for the original Legion of Boom. 

12 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

it would be nice to stack players but we have $15M in cap space left, need $5M for rookie pool and we need a bank going into the season.

Not sure about the specific players available, but let's look at it this way - Bennie Logan was a 3rd round pick. In his first three seasons he was a good run stuffer and made ~$576K, ~$711K and ~$819K, $1.84M his first four seasons. I know it's a gamble, but if a one dimensional space eater is available in the 3rd that might be a lot better than paying him the $5-7M per season he's probably looking for. 

I know this is 'poking a dead horse', but it will put names to what that can do for us. The $4-5M/year in cap savings would be more than the difference in annual spend between Smith and Cousins (I fully understand that this ignores the guarantee portion, but it is being used to illustrate where the cap space might be better used). We can also look at the RB position. The annual savings could have gotten us Doug Martin or Dion Lewis. I'm not a fan of either, but we could have Bennie Logan or 3rd round DT + upgraded RB. 

1 hour ago, Master Blaster said:

What's Phil Taylor's status?

He's currently 29 years old and has played in the same amount of NFL games as most of us the past 2 seasons...

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:
 IB  ? Retweeted

Hearing #Vikings are likely to get something done with Sheldon Richardson today. That DL from would be Griffen, Richardson, Joseph and Hunter.

28 replies188 retweets293 likes

Yep, heard a 3 year deal was being close to being finalized.  Heard, that is. :)  

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Those are better than mid-tier players for me.  Those are in the Swearinger-Z. Brown range.  Guys who were good players and ascending.  They aren't the top of the market but the tier just below.  Similar to not Allen Robinson but Paul Richardson -- not the top guy but the 3rd-4th top guy.  But they haven't played that game with DT in FA for the most part.  They go a tier below that.  McGee was no Cofield or C. Griffin.

What was most head scratching in all that is they went in for the kill on both McGee and McClain early on in free agency and for who they are, were overpaid - even if its not a ton of money.

The inside of the D-line has always been the issue.  Any game where the interior line performs well, suddenly the pass rush is hitting better.  Jonathan Allen helps the pass rush immensely, but I am not sure what he is going to do to help the soft middle of the D-line. 

Defense will always begin with the men up front. If the guys in the middle have no ability to collapse a pocket or stuff a run, it makes everyone else's job much more difficult.

43 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Do you think the eagles were saying that more when they went to 4 division championships in a row or last year when they finished last in the division? 

Gosh, I hope you're not comparing us to them. I certainly would not. When other teams have a down year (it's short lived, like the Eagles). We suck for decades and some of our fans continue to think "we're close"

41 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

No one can guarantee any draft pick is going to be better then what someone's shown on the field. I would love to see them pick up Benie Logan and draft Daron Payne or Vita in the first round. Why? Suddenly have a rotation of NT's where they don't any any now (don't profess to see Ziggy Hood as a NT) and strength that trench. It doesn't have to be an either/or to me

Not really, they are never out of money. They can sign the slot corner, Logan, and Junior if they choose to. They might have to get creative but eh if the peeps saying this is it for our coach if they don't win (I think they are wrong on that at least I hope they are I mean did those saying that even listen to the Alex Smith presser yesterday I posted here when he said he choose this team because of the offense they ran? If you haven't heard it yet go listen. Snyder would be a damn fool if he fired Jay after Alex did that) then everyone should be all in to signing those three and calling it a day

7 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The inside of the D-line has always been the issue.  Any game where the interior line performs well, suddenly the pass rush is hitting better.  Jonathan Allen helps the pass rush immensely, but I am not sure what he is going to do to help the soft middle of the D-line. 

Defense will always begin with the men up front. If the guys in the middle have no ability to collapse a pocket or stuff a run, it makes everyone else's job much more difficult.

Exactly and that's why having two of these guys - Logan and Vita/Payne and rotate the two - makes a lot of sense. 

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

What was most head scratching in all that is they went in for the kill on both McGee and McClain early on in free agency and for who they are, were overpaid - even if its not a ton of money.

They definitely count as a swing and a miss right now but to be fair, they were asking for a lot less than Logan, Poe etc and we believed they had upside.  They did not work out so far but I would not say I hated the plan, McClain especially was coming off a very good season and the price looked fair.  With N/T being used in only around 30% of defensive snaps I get the reluctance to pay big at the position and remember at this point last year it did look like Phil Taylor was going to be that guy and if he had not got hurt our line might have looked a whole lot different.  This year we do need to address the position though but I am happy to get this done in the draft if Logan is looking for anything like the money Poe just got.

30 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Oh, and there's also the annual "Ah, right" realization that I have.

It's easy to get hyped-up going into the off-season that as a GM you'd be able to make the right choices to help fill all the holes on your team. The truth is, you're never going to fill every hole. You're going to have to rely on some question-marks and hope things work out.

I think this is an important point. In addition to not being able to fill every hole on your team as strange as it sounds you may not want too. What I mean by that is that sometimes you do more long term harm with a patch job. So,if we decide we need a "patch job" player, hopefully, it's on a one-year deal. Too often, we have  stuck with jerry-rigged fixes for years.

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Retirement or it should be.

1 hour ago, dyst said:

No knock on you, but we can't make excuses for our team due to injuries if we keep bringing back injury prone players. 

25 minutes ago, Unbias said:

He's currently 29 years old and has played in the same amount of NFL games as most of us the past 2 seasons...

Where did I advocate anything to do with Phil Taylor?

It's a simple question of what his current status is at this time.  Is he still a Redskin?  I had thought he signed a two year deal but I may be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Where did I advocate anything to do with Phil Taylor?

It's a simple question of what his current status is at this time.  Is he still a Redskin?  I had thought he signed a two year deal but I may be wrong.

No he's a FA.  http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6537/phil-taylor    then click on view contract details.

Archived