Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

2 hours ago, TK said:

Hell I'm impressed that he doesn't have that bottle of wine on top of the curio cabinet like he did in a picture from one of the guys signing a few years ago. You know, since the League has that whole no alcohol in the building policy & what happened to the last real GM.  

Image result for corner curio cabinet wheel of fortune

Not thrilled about DRC.  Skins should wait this one out and sit tight on their original offer and I hope their offer is a 1 year rental.  Allen won't spend the money on HB.  Galette, I hope is not going to break the bank either.  Hopefully, his deal is for no more than 2 years.  His injuries 2 years in a row (2015, 2016) are BIG concerns for me, thus the short and not over the top contract.  It baffles me why we haven't signed Logan yet.  We need a proven NT but I guess they are focused on DT/NT in the draft and OG is going to be a huge hole as well as RB.  

Looking like DRC and Gallette sometime today or later this week.

Would like to find a way to get Logan in.  That would be an "A" FA period for me. 

Would love the Honey Badger, doesn't look like it's in the cards.

Just now, DC9 said:

Looking like DRC and Gallette sometime today or later this week.

Would like to find a way to get Logan in.  That would be an "A" FA period for me. 

Would love the Honey Badger, doesn't look like it's in the cards.

Looking that way, DC9 and again not thrilled about DRC.  Seems like we are crazy over him cause he played great against us in 2016.  He fell off the cliff in 2017 though.

Just now, RWJ said:

Not thrilled about DRC.  Skins should wait this one out and sit tight on their original offer and I hope their offer is a 1 year rental.  Allen won't spend the money on HB.  Galette, I hope is not going to break the bank either.  Hopefully, his deal is for no more than 2 years.  His injuries 2 years in a row (2015, 2016) are BIG concerns for me, thus the short and not over the top contract.  It baffles me why we haven't signed Logan yet.  We need a proven NT but I guess they are focused on DT/NT in the draft and OG is going to be a huge hole as well as RB.  

With you on DRC but if it comes out he is signed i'll have to admit i'll get a little excited.   

Gallette will likely follow the route of Brown and realize that the market isn't there.  Edge rushers are important, but the real value is in youth and health... something he's quickly running out of.  

I'm with you on D-Line, but I believe there are 3 big interior linemen on the market, and they're seemingly just sitting there.  With 2 (possibly 3) interior linemen likely to go in the 1st round, I'd imagine a few teams are going to hold out and see if they can get someone via the draft at a fraction of the cost of one of these free agents.  

6 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

DRC fits the budget much better than Mathieu. Also, he is a true CB. With two vets back there it will really help the young guys. I like the move. DRC is not whole he once was, but opposite Norman, they will be a tough pair to beat on a consistent basis. 

I like them bringing Gallette back - at a reasonable price tag. I am sure that is the only way they sign him. He must have gotten an idea of his value and is comnig back to the Redskins to see if they are in. 

I agree....I would love for them to bring in DRC.  I think he's long, still very athletic and his ball skills are elite.  I think Galette has elite pass rush skills as well.  Signing those two could be huge.

The only position that needs to be addressed would be a versatile DT who can play on rush downs.  Vita Vea is going to be the selection.

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

With you on DRC but if it comes out he is signed i'll have to admit i'll get a little excited.   Not me

Gallette will likely follow the route of Brown and realize that the market isn't there.  Edge rushers are important, but the real value is in youth and health... something he's quickly running out of.  

I'm with you on D-Line, but I believe there are 3 big interior linemen on the market, and they're seemingly just sitting there.  With 2 (possibly 3) interior linemen likely to go in the 1st round, I'd imagine a few teams are going to hold out and see if they can get someone via the draft at a fraction of the cost of one of these free agents.  

See highlighted agree with the rest.

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Looking that way, DC9 and again not thrilled about DRC.  Seems like we are crazy over him cause he played great against us in 2016.  He fell off the cliff in 2017 though.

In fairness the entire Giants D took a step back until late in the season. Also the off was so terrible they put the D on the field a lot. Last but not least with Norman back there DRC will not have to be THE guy. I don't want them to over pay - but if they can get him at a reasonable price for say 2 yrs, that would be a good veteran presence to help bring the young guys along. 

Not sure where you get the 2016 thing. Do you have some data to support this idea? There is really nothing anywhere to link those two things. 

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

That's fair, but if he's decent in the slot and provides veteran versatility that's something we don't have.  Hopefully that signals the end of D. Hall.

3 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

I like how FA is going so far outside of the Dline, but that alone really has me down. 

I agree.  And we know they think the D line is an issue because they've said so.  All the posts about we forget about guys being hurt and now they are coming back.  I get the thought.  But is this going to be an injury free season?  Guys got hurt last year.  But it just doesn't happen two years in a row?

It's a given like any team the Redskins are going to have injuries.  We again will have players who will miss games. The odds are it won't be as bad as last year.  But have we had back to back seasons with a preponderance of injuries -- you bet we have.  It's perfectly plausible this team could be top 5 in the league in injuries again. Just because it happened last year doesn't give us a get out the jail free card this year.  If anything its closer to the opposite, guys with injury history tend to get hurt more often not less often.

Cooley was talking about this the other day.  All these guys coming off surgery and being hurt -- that could be a lingering problem next year.  And I am not saying this to be pessimistic.  But I don't shrug off the injuries as somehow deep in the past just because the season is over.  That's my long winded way of saying we need DEPTH on the defensive line.  Counting on an injury free season is typically a pipe dream.

It's funny you watch the Vikings and the Eagles who already have monster D lines -- work with more of a desperation to make their D line even more ferocious.  If you told me before the off season, it would the be the Eagles upgrading the D line.  And the Vikings would be chasing arguably the top D lineman in the market -- and we'd be thus far taking it easy on that front -- I'd say no way.

Having said that, they can still do it.  So I am not condemning them yet for it.  I am just arguing against the chill narrative -- wait till these injured guys come back.  The Eagles have arguably the best D line in the league and deeper than ours.  They've made it even deeper this offseason.  I am of that mode -- I am a big D line guy.  It's a position you rotate for starters.  And these are big guys who get hurt.  You need depth.   Last year, Taylor went down, Allen, Ionnaidis, McClain, Z. Hood.  Somehow I suspect guys will get hurt again -- its the nature of football and that position. 

Craig Hoffman Retweeted Kimberley A. Martin

Another off the list. If Bennie Logan isn’t getting calls right now, they’re doing it wrong.

DRC on a deal.  Gallette the same.

Draft Vita Vea in the first, and the best RB available in the 2nd.

I don't think that's asking too much.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree.  And we know they think the D line is an issue because they've said so.  All the posts about we forget about guys being hurt and now they are coming back.  I get the thought.  But is this going to be an injury free season?  Guys got hurt last year.  But it just doesn't happen two years in a row?

Also, we can't underestimate Jon Allen's injury.  He's a big boy and they don't always leave that kind of injury behind.  I think one of the 'insiders' even said in the chat with Tomsula, he expressed some doubt there.

Just now, SWFLSkins said:

I don't believe there ever was HB $, no matter what happened.  You can't get rid of a 750K corner and replace him with one that costs 10M+ more and have folks still take you serious.  While I'm sure many folks would love getting HB on its face, I don't think they realize how bad it would actually be for the cap/team in its current state.

The thing that kind of worries me a little about the DL guys bouncing around right now are the same ones bouncing around last year ... (with the exception of.Suh .... 

i think the the decision makers are kind of looking at it with an eye that we will need to at least get a new deal for Brandon - And Smith you want to get something done before you are tied into the option year because then $15 mil + becomes the floor for negotiations... 

24 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

DRC on a deal.  Gallette the same.

Draft Vita Vea in the first, and the best RB available in the 2nd.

I don't think that's asking too much

Somewhere you have to pick up a starting left guard.  

Because right now now my kid sister is penciled in as a starter, and she’s 4 foot 9 and a half...

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Somewhere you have to pick up a starting left guard.  

Because right now now my kid sister is penciled in as a starter, and she’s 4 foot 9 and a half...

It's beginning to look like they're out of options here.  The real problem is that now they need 3 starters (LG,DL,RB) in the draft and don't have a 3rd round pick.  And you ain't getting a starter in the 4th.

The suggestion that Ty might be moved to LG is a horrible idea.  Who is the backup tackle then?  Moses gets hurt every game and misses plays.  Trent has missed games the last 4 years.

This is what happens when you don't develop depth properly.  When the inevitable injuries begin next year (every team has them), excuses will once again be made about having bad luck staying healthy.  If you develop depth, those injury issues can be mitigated.  Heck the Eagles figured out a way to win a Super Bowl after having an injury at the most important position on the field.

@Skinsinparadise regarding injuries, if Reed, CT, Trent Williams, Moses or Allen get hurt again, I’d say that’s somewhat predictable.  Each has history of getting banged up. Even CT breaking his leg, which is bad luck, he’s had a history of not playing -6 games so you can’t count on it.

Scherff had a knee, if I remember.  He’s probably fully healthy now and maybe that was a fluke thing. 

Matt I. got his hand broke.  That’s pretty random, and shouldn’t linger. 

There will I’ll be injuries, as you said. My biggest gripe will be if we lose the same guys who we’ve lost in years past and then point to injuries as an excuse. At thins point it’s a trend with a lot of these guys. Availability is one of the key components of playing football.

Shrug.  If we don’t stay healthy, if it’s the same guys, and we lose, I’m going to blame management, Bruce, Jay and Doug. All of them share some responsibility.  

Im hopeful the injuries are not as bad this year as last year.  But they’re going to happen and you’ve got to be prepared.

————————————

Doea Norman really count $17 mil against he cap this year?

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Having said that, they can still do it.  So I am not condemning them yet for it.  I am just arguing against the chill narrative -- wait till these injured guys come back.  The Eagles have arguably the best D line in the league and deeper than ours.  They've made it even deeper this offseason.  I am of that mode -- I am a big D line guy.  It's a position you rotate for starters.  And these are big guys who get hurt.  You need depth.   Last year, Taylor went down, Allen, Ionnaidis, McClain, Z. Hood.  Somehow I suspect guys will get hurt again -- its the nature of football and that position. 

I'll still say that Allen is way more a value signing guy. So I think we're more likely to wait for a second coming of Chris Baker or Anthony Lanier or Junior Galette (with the Saints) or just somebody like the WR Quick who isn't a known but can come in and perform. And I think that goes further into trusting our scouts (maybe our college scouts over our pro scouts). I know a number of (previously practice squad) guys were signed to the 90-man roster back in January and some of these guys are on the DL. If you remember, we signed Francis to one of these and he became a contributor later. Same with Taylor.

Back then we signed

OL

Alex Balducci

Cameron Jefferson

John Kling

DL

Andre Pipkins

Tavaris Barnes Sr.

RB

Kenny Hilliard

TE

Chris Bazile

LB

Alex McCalister (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/alex-mccalister?id=2555510)

Cassanova McKinzy (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/cassanova-mckinzy?id=2555526)

DB

James Sample

Orion Stewart

Tavaris Barnes is a 26 year old 6-4 284 DL from Clemson with a 4.8 40 time. .

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tavaris-barnes?id=2552669

Bottom Line

Possesses the size and raw athleticism to warrant a look and the tape suggests that he could open some eyes with quickness and explosion numbers. Barnes doesn't play like an instinctual end at this time, but the traits are intriguing even though he appears to be a project at this point.

Pipkins we know about who is a possible NT.

I don't think we should act like this is any kind of a guarantee but there is some talent in these type of positions. In the same way we're going to have a full draft and a list of UDFAs who will excite me because it will be an attempt to address the position(s) without throwing tens of millions of dollars at it.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Are you kidding or serious? If you are kidding then ignore what is to follow. 

I am not seeing how the Ravens/Grant agreement - or lack there of - screwed Jay. The Redskins made a decision to release Grant. He agreed to a contract with the Ravens - they decided to back out citing a failed physical. Grant is now an URFA - that's it.

And BTW: There is nothing that Grant or the NFLPA can do to the Ravens. The doctor found enough to void the contract - was it dirty? Probably. But those killing the players for playing hardball with the teams demanding money should see this as exhibit 1 of why they have to do that. The teams play absolute cut-throat with players - which fans seem to be mostly Ok with. But if a player plays rough back they are greedy and self-fish. 

Back to Jay - how does this screw Jay in any way shape or form? The Redskins are not on the hook for anything at all. If they bring him back in it's entirely their decision. Now an argument could be made the release of Crabtree hurt Grant - but that is not on Jon or Jay for that matter. that is totally on the Ravens. 

Completely kidding

2 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

It's beginning to look like they're out of options here.  The real problem is that now they need 3 starters (LG,DL,RB) in the draft and don't have a 3rd round pick.  And you ain't getting a starter in the 4th.

The suggestion that Ty might be moved to LG is a horrible idea.  Who is the backup tackle then?  Moses gets hurt every game and misses plays.  Trent has missed games the last 4 years.

This is what happens when you don't develop depth properly.  When the inevitable injuries begin next year (every team has them), excuses will once again be made about having bad luck staying healthy.  If you develop depth, those injury issues can be mitigated.  Heck the Eagles figured out a way to win a Super Bowl after having an injury at the most important position on the field.

Agreed on all points.  They need a swing tackle who can play, because both Williams and Moses, while warriors, get banged up and both are coming off of surgeries. And he’ll, Ty is also coming off an injury.  

The funny thing is they’ve spent mid-round draft picks in OL pretty consistently for a while, none have really worked out. Aries was a third or fourth round pick, couldn’t even make the team last year.  Then was brought back due to injury.

They did hit on the new center, but let Long go. 

I am terrified they’ll get into a pickle and re-sign Lauvao. Which will be “blah”

It’s probably the biggest open hole on the roster at the moment. 

Archived