Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

48 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I would be fine with some felons getting their voting rights back but I felt this was too broad.  For the most part, I agree with most felons losing their voting right.  It has nothing to do with they usually vote a certain way.  I just think our leaders should be picked by those that aren't felons, though I note that hasn't really worked out so far (sarcasm, sorta).

Seems punitive for people who've already did their time. They're going to elect the same people as non felons. No one is going to be running on a pro crime platform if you switch.

Denying convicted felons the right to vote is a way to keep black men from voting. It was largely instituted in the Civil Rights era and many misdemeanors were reclassified as felonies.

If felons serve their sentences including probation they should have their voting rights restored. It helps reintegrate them back to civil society.

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

Seems punitive for people who've already did their time. They're going to elect the same people as non felons. No one is going to be running on a pro crime platform if you switch.

If it were simply the position of a candidate, I doubt it would even move the needle for me.  But since it was a sole question, I voted my opinion.  I think there is a separate thread for the topic so I don't know how far down the rabbit hole we should go.

35 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Denying convicted felons the right to vote is a way to keep black men from voting. It was largely instituted in the Civil Rights era and many misdemeanors were reclassified as felonies.

If felons serve their sentences including probation they should have their voting rights restored. It helps reintegrate them back to civil society.

That may be the history of it, but I still have my opinion on the topic.  And it has nothing to do with the race of the felon or the way they are likely to vote.

Archived