Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

7 minutes ago, haithman said:

So how are we thinking things will shake out next week?

Dems take the House. GOP keeps the Senate.  Dems take a considerable # of Governor positions. Trump and conservatives here and abroad try to portray it as a GOP victory. They get rightfully lampooned (or memed as the kids say these days ?).

What the story misses is the governors races mean when it comes to the flip side of having to protect those borderline seats in the future. If dems take Senate and majority of gov spots, they may hold Congress longer. It is an underatated story that for dems to take a majority in Congress this year is doing so swimming against the current of redistricting from 2010 and a raft of voter suppression measures. It also removes the "Nunez impact" on all Congressional investigations where the majority party simply refuses to release info contrary to their talking points they have written before any evidence is presented and often inspite of said evidence.

39 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Having Governors in place will help with drawing districts and voter suppression tactics of the GOP. Dems looking good in the Midwest. Not a good look for Trump if they start making it easier to vote.

Would like them to also push for more transparency of national candidates who are running for federal office. Meaning House/Senate/Presidential candidates with the tax returns, dark money, and disclosures to be allowed on the ballot. 

farred zakaria summarizing well

The Republican Party has become the party of Joseph McCarthy, a repository of conspiracy theories, fake news, false accusations and paranoid fantasies. The GOP has many good people and good ideas. But none of them matters while it houses and feeds fantasies, conspiracies and paranoia, tinged with racism, bigotry and anti-Semitism.

real judgy guy though 

:P

12 hours ago, haithman said:

So how are we thinking things will shake out next week?

1.  Dems needs to win 23 seats to retake the House. I predict the Dems retake the House but only narrowly by winning only 25 to 27 seats.

2.  The GOPs only hightlight of the night. They have 51 seats. I predict the GOP wins 3 to 5 seats, to have a 54 to 56 seat advantage.

3.  The Dems will win back some governorships.  I think Florida and Wisconsin are definitely going Dem.  

$.  I haven't paid attention to state legislature races but hopefully, the Dems win some control there.

Just submitted my Florida absentee ballot.  Here are my thoughts on some of the main races.  Wouldn't mind discussing any or saying how I voted down ballot if anyone cares to.

Senator- Wow, this is a ****ty race.  Voted Nelson but I really hate them both.

Rep- Zimmerman.  She doesn't have much record to go on but she isn't a Republican and nowadays, that's a plus to me.  And Gaetz has called for Mueller to be fired.

Gov-  Gillium.  Desatis looks like a big Trump supporter.  That makes him too dumb to govern.

AG-  My first Republican vote.  Shaw seems way too Left. 

Wow, when did I become such a bleeding heart liberal?

I actually like both Scott and Nelson.  I've voted for both of them more than once.  Still up in the air.  Fl effed up.  We could be choosing between Gwen Graham and Adam Putnam for Gov.  A middle of the road D vs a middle of the road R.  But instead we get crazy town either way.  Most of the amendments piss me off, so I'm voting no on all of them.  Present the issues correctly and I'll reconsider next time.

26 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Most of the amendments piss me off, so I'm voting no on all of them.  Present the issues correctly and I'll reconsider next time.

I split on them.  I hate the way many of them were bundled but expecting my representatives to do things properly is asking too much.  I weighed them all based on what I thought were pro's and con's.  I didn't like having to do it that way but that is what I was presented with.  Here is how I went:

Amend 1- Yes

Amend 2- yes

Amend 3- yes

Amend 4- No

Amend 5- No

Amend 6- Yes

Amend 7- Yes

Amend 9- Yes

Amend 10- No

Amend 11- No

Amend 12- Yes

Amend 13- Yes

13 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

What's the argument against felon enfranchisement?

I would be fine with some felons getting their voting rights back but I felt this was too broad.  For the most part, I agree with most felons losing their voting right.  It has nothing to do with they usually vote a certain way.  I just think our leaders should be picked by those that aren't felons, though I note that hasn't really worked out so far (sarcasm, sorta).

1 minute ago, GhostofSparta said:

They'll most likely vote Democrat.

I'm sure that is the argument used by some.  But not me.  If you think I am lying, go back and read how I voted for Dem candidates. 

Archived