Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

4 minutes ago, TK said:

Every bit of this can still change by Monday. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Dan said to drop these leaks & let's see what the reactions are :ols: 

Guy will never sustain success if that is how he runs his business. He can’t even get firing right, what makes us think he will get winning right. 

8 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I had the same thought. Problem is Dan is a fan...like an ES poster fan.

The thing is Dan now has 20 years of experience owning an NFL franchise. 

I refuse to believe he is stupid. He’s not. 

You would think in 20 years you’d learn something.  

At at least you would hope. 

——

I think the Bruce to the Rams thing might be released by Bruce to show San he still has a market and not to ditch him. 

Rivera is a dam good coach.I see a guy that is a overachiever based on his time in Carolina.His teams are as tuff as nails and even this year with Cam out his team played tuff with Allen in as the QB.This maybe the  guy that turns on the light in Rubens head and allows the young dline play to their potential.

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The thing is Dan now has 20 years of experience owning an NFL franchise. 

I refuse to believe he is stupid. He’s not. 

You would think in 20 years you’d learn something.  

At at least you would hope. 

All evidence to the contrary...

He has stopped issuing colossally stupid contracts, and trading picks for washed up has been so...

I didn't know that Rivera and Kyle Smith had a connection.

https://www.si.com/nfl/redskins/gm-report/could-ron-rivera-kyle-smith-eric-schaffer-team-up

Could Ron Rivera, Kyle Smith & Eric Schaffer Team up?

"Riverboat Ron" Rivera has emerged as one of the leading candidates for the Washington Redskins head coaching position. 

The former Carolina Panthers head man was fired about 36 hours after the Redskins beat his former team in Charlotte in early December.  

If Rivera takes the job (assuming it is offered), he would replace the man above that helped end his tenure in North Carolina, Bill Callahan, the interim head coach, who is not expected to be retained. 

Rivera (76-63-1) in his head coaching run in Charlotte, including an appearance in Super Bowl 50. 

The Panthers and Rivera won the NFC South three years in a row but were (12-16) combined over the last two seasons leading to Rivera's dismissal. 

He's interested in the job, that much I know. It is not known if he has actually met with Dan Snyder at this point. 

It's also not known at this point how he would feel about Bruce Allen remaining in the organization, despite reportedly being removed from football operations. 

One thing to keep in mind when considering Rivera's candidacy and the fact that the Redskins are going to need someone to run the football operations that is a pure football man is Rivera's connection to Kyle Smith, the Redskins Director of College Scouting. 

Rivera was the defensive coordinator for the then San Diego Chargers from 2008-2010 after serving as the linebackers coach in 2007. 

Who was the Chargers very successful general manager during that time? A.J. Smith. 

Kyle is A.J.'s son of course and a star on the rise. 

From what I understand, the two have a good relationship and could join forces to work together as part of a remodeled Redskins front office. 

I've always said that with Allen out, I would be satisfied and hopeful with a front office structure of Eric Schaffer as President/Executive Vice President, Kyle Smith as the GM or Vice President of Player Personnel and a strong minded head coach, who happens to be a quality person on top of that. 

Schaffer and Smith are rock solid in terms of character, work ethic and how they treat people. They aren't perfect and mistakes will still be made, but I'm not sure if there is a better option that know the Redskins building and organization inside and out, while also understanding how football actually works. 

1 hour ago, TK said:

Bruce fired from football ops.

More heads to roll.

Bruce is OUT of the building BUT will still be working on the stadium deal AWAY from the Park. 

Trent isn't working on a new deal.

HC has been offered to Rivera-He hasn't said NO but he's still watching the Cowboys & Giants.

Marvin Lewis tied to Riddick

Rivera tied Moroocco 

Rick Smith tied to no one but helped build Shanny's last SB roster & his work in Houston

Dan has had prelim talks with Macarty

Would prefer Bruce out of the org.

Rivera isn’t a good enough coach to be offered the job and tell the Skins “I’ll see.”  If Skins really offered it, and he hasn’t said yes, move on.  He’s not Parcells.

I’d rather have Lewis anyway. Rivera comes from the comfy Panthers org., where things seemed somewhat normal.  Marvin’s worked for Dan before, knows the chaos, and still wants to work here,

‘McCarthy would also be great, although coming from the stable Packers is a concern. 

For the record, I’d also be fine with Gregg Williams or Todd Bowles as mentioned in JLC’s article.

The idea of Rivera saying maybe if I don’t have better options (who happen to be two of our rivals) doesn’t sit well.

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

I just don’t see how any self respecting person could want to step into this position.  It’s gonna be a tough sell.

There's only 32 of these positions in the world.  It's also the same mentality where people pick the crappiest team to start a franchise in Madden.  "I'm so good, I can turn around even this horror show"

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

There's only 32 of these positions in the world.  It's also the same mentality where people pick the crappiest team to start a franchise in Madden.  "I'm so good, I can turn around even this horror show"

But more likely the next GM lands here for the same reason that many other people land here.  Money.

Landing the GM job here would be like playing Madden on all pro with someone else at the controls 3/4 of the time.  A true challenge indeed.

11 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Rivera comes from the comfy Panthers org., where things seemed somewhat normal.  Marvin’s worked for Dan before, knows the chaos, and still wants to work here

I don't understand why you don't see this as a red flag with Marvin. We want someone who is NOT content with the current culture here. We do not want someone like Jay who can just coast along and go with the flow even when he shouldn't. That didn't work. We need someone to change this organization from the top down (starting below Snyder who can't change and can only be held off by someone who has the appropriate professional distance given to him by a lack of comfort in a bad culture). 

I don't want anymore Bengals leftovers, thanks. Jay was enough. Marvin's name shouldn't even be brought up here.

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

I just don’t see how any self respecting person could want to step into this position.  It’s gonna be a tough sell.

Absolutely excellent rookie wide reciever..with a couple other decent looking rookie wr's..a running back with some injury history but also showed promise....a what looks now to be a promising young qb..a good young d line with the possibility to draft chase young and Rivera is a defensive coach...I say it all checks..

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I don't understand why you don't see this as a red flag with Marvin. We want someone who is NOT content with the current culture here. We do not want someone like Jay who can just coast along and go with the flow even when he shouldn't. That didn't work. We need someone to change this organization from the top down (starting below Snyder who can't change and can only be held off by someone who has the appropriate professional distance given to him by a lack of comfort in a bad culture). 

Kinda like Callahan?

16 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I would prefer Rivera as HC with Lewis as DC? I mean that is a TON of defensive coaching talent right there. Keep KOC and let him continue to develop the offense and we might have something here.

Rivera is a very good defensive coach. Unfortunately he was doomed in Carolina when Cam wore the fox tail cleats in 2016. If he is brought here to bolster the defense, and create a professional atmosphere, then im for it.

4 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I was just about to say this. There are only 32 of these positions in the world, and at best there are 3-5 openings on a yearly basis. 

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I don't want anymore Bengals leftovers, thanks. Jay was enough. Marvin's name shouldn't even be brought up here.

Marvin managed to work in a ridiculous organization and win more than he lost in Cincy.  

If he was hired I would at least give him a chance.  

7 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Totally, that’s my preference. I just think to work for the Redskins you have to be able to work with Dan Snyder.  Gibbs could do it.  Shanny couldn’t. Marty couldn’t. Marvin could.

To me it’s pot luck whether these guys can work w/ Dan until you get them in.  It’s one variable at which Marvin is proven.  Do I wish it was this way?  No.  I wish Skins were Steelers-stable, but they haven’t to this point been that way under Dan.  Have to be realistic about it.

Unless you hire a true mega coach like Urban and tell them to change everything (my preference), whoever you do hire needs to fit in.

44 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well, you were wrong on Jay, so maybe you’re wrong on Marvin too. 

:P 

(This was a joke)

I've told you many times (even in a PM 😀) I didn't care if Jay stays or goes, my point was he's not the top problem here.  My obsession as to volume of posts has been about removing Bruce.   Your obsession as for the number of posts has been removing Jay.   My Christmas has come today sort of.  Yours weeks ago. ;)

But playing along.  Your top issue with Jay seem to be his play calling.  So the dude who actually hired Jay to call plays in Cincy and who complemented him like crazy is a dude who floats your boat?    

I'd add the dude in the mix is known to be another clueless one with clock management.  He has flat out said he doesn't think it's his responsibility to motivate players.  He's been criticized by his own players for being super conservative and not going for the jugular.  As far as I can tell, he hasn't really called defensive plays in well over a decade -- the NFL has changed a lot since.  We've heard no rumors of any other NFL team interested in the dude and he's the coach that is interested in this job.  I actually give a lower score for anyone who supposedly really wants to come here -- simple reason is I take that as no offers anywhere else.

Marvin isn't a disaster IMO.  But the more I've researched him, the more "meh" he comes off to me.  It's not just about his slightly over 500 record.    For me he doesn't have the traits I look for.   He won't IMO be a disaster but he's an uninspired choice.  At 61, how hungry could the dude be? He was already pretty mellow and vanilla as is.   The fact that he's likely bringing his buddy Hue Jackson along for the ride adds to the meh for me.   At least Rivera has some fire to him among other things. 

Archived