Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

3 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I really want to know who this secret group is made up of!!!

"None of them are current Redskins employees", so clearly that means he consulted with Sonny + Joe Gibbs + sprinkle in DHall or something. That is how Snyder roles.

Select group of football people who don’t work for the team. It certainly sounds good, but I would be interested to know who.

Example, Joe Theismann could be considered a football guy who doesn’t work for the team but I wouldn’t want him influencing the direction of the franchise.

14 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

you're focusing on the fine print. That's also the game that JJ Watt was a beast. 

I'm only defending that Marvin Lewis is a good coach. Going to the playoffs that number of times in itself is an accomplishment and something we would love to have here. I'm not puting him in the upper tier of coaches, just the upper tier of coaches that would work with Dan and Bruce

Oh, I apologize. Here I thought you were making a bunch of lame excuses for why Marvin Lewis could never win a playoff game. But you were actually pointing out that he couldn't possibly be expected to beat good teams, or immortal QBs like Matt Schaub and Mark Sanchez, and even when he was going against an absolute scrub like TJ Yates, he can't be expected to win that game either because the other team had a really good DL. My bad. I was thinking these were excuses.

If only Marvin Lewis could have coached a playoff game against the 2017 Cleveland Browns. Then we could have seen what a wizard fo coaching he was!

45 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

"people ought to look up the number of times his teams lost to teams with inferior records in the postseason."

It was 3 of 7.  Which I suppose is it what defines a habitual loser in your eyes?  Look back on Super Bowl champions that beat teams with better records on their way to the Lombardi. 

If you subscribe to the Athletic then read the article by Mike Lombardi (some of you like him and others cannot stand him-he is ex-General Manager)

entitled: From the GM's Eye: Black Monday tells us more about the owners than it does the coaches they're firing".  He says the number one quality

of a great owner is common sense.  The second quality is providing an environment of stability for the franchise.  The third quality is establishing

a brand- an unique identity- like with the Raiders under Al Davis they wanted to be the fastest, biggest and most dominating team in their division.

The fourth quality is caring- being careful what the owner says to the media reacting to wins and losses during the season.

Now for Snyder he says he has no hope that Snyder will fix his problems and become a great owner.  He lacks common sense and he cares about the wrong

things.  He ends the article by saying the big part of the problem are the owners themselves so we should remember this on Black Monday when coaches are fired.

Breer and Finlay getting this at the same time means it's a purposeful leak. Which means we're about to get a flood of info about a process that's been entirely opaque until now, because Dan is sick of the bad press saying he's got no plan.

(Note: this does not guarantee his actual plan is good)

11 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

He ends the article by saying the big part of the problem are the owners themselves so we should remember this on Black Monday when coaches are fired.

This is a great point. It's typically some combination of the same teams on the list: Lions, Dolphins, Browns, Bengals, Jets, Raiders, Redskins, Jacksonville, Buffalo. These are also the teams picking at the top of the draft year-in-and-year-out, with rare exceptions.

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah whenever he, Finlay or whomever do that all they are doing are confirming the story that was reported.  So they were both beat by Breer.

The honest way to report you're confirming someone else's scoop is to be very transparent about that: "checked on this report and found it to be credible", etc. Finlay tries to take at least half credit, although it is possible they just have the same sources. 

Keim never really breaks anything and habitually jumps on-board after the fact as if he's performing a vital service lol. And not all beat guys need to be scoop hounds, so no hate. We need guys to write training camp blurbs and interview players and break down the units on the team. But because so much of sports journalism has become the twitter rat race, you get good guys and solid reporters like Keim feeling like they've got to pretend to be in the loop on breaking news when they rarely are. I get they're in the building a lot, but most know nothing about the behind the scenes secrets. 

22 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I wonder if bruce will really let Dan fire him. This should be very interesting. 

The most interesting part is that Dan met people that are not employed by the Redskins, s at the very least you can expect very neutral advice from them and an honest outside view of the team and brand that the Redskins are. I'm wondering who those guys were, but I can expect that they don't stand Bruce in high regard at the very least.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Reading Keim's tweet it leads to the idea that Bruce wouldn't be President if he stays but comes off like he wants a role here. 

Any role he could have around would be a huge mistake. I'm not sure I'd like to have him around as a janitor...

2 hours ago, profusion said:

Marvin is a good coach, but he's not the guy to turn this franchise around.

Counter point: he’s the only coach since 1980 who’s won with the bengals.  So he turned around that mess for 7 playoff appearances. There have been worse coaching jobs.  Since he got the Bengals job, the Skins cycled through Gibbs, Zorn, Shanahan and Jay.  None of which independently or combined have as good a record.

Hes not my choice.  By a bunch.  But to dismiss his accomplishments is somewhat short sighted. 

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I think Leslie Frazier is at a better point in his career but he could easily be a Tony Dungy, a Marvin Lewis or a Herman Edwards - we just don't know. I look at what Dungy did with the Bucs and I compare that to what Lewis did with the Bengals very favoribly. So who's to say that Lewis with a legit QB in Haskins can't do what Dungy was able to do in Indy here?

And the counter point to that is Marvin had both Carson Palmer and Dalton when Dalton was good for a few years. 

Lewis’ problem is Carson tore his ACL in a playoff game I think they were winning against the Steelers. 

That kinda did it in for them.

Archived