Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

1 hour ago, Birdlives said:

Nothing, literally nothing is worse than Bruce. Dan could hire a potato attached to a magic eight ball and repeatedly drop the eight ball and get better results.

I actually kind of like that idea.

”Should I sell the team?”

”All signs point to ‘yes.’”

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

@TK

Any feel for what happens with Bruce?

This is gonna come off as sarcastic since I'm new here, but I've lurked a long time.  What are TKs credentials?  I've seen a lot of reverence for him but not much substance in terms of breaking news or pulling curtains back on his part. 

I'm just honestly asking, not trying to be a jerk.  I assume he works in the building.

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

Chris Russell just said on the post game show that the Redskins are interested in David Shaw from Stanford, this leads me to believe that bruce isn't going anywhere 😐

So if Chris Russell said it, then you know that means it won't happen. I'm still hopeful Bruce is gone, but this rules out Shaw as the next head coach. 

Just now, Redskin4ever said:

So if Chris Russell said it, then you know that means it won't happen. I'm still hopeful Bruce is gone, but this rules out Shaw as the next head coach. 

Russell used to annoy me when I still drunk the Redskins koolaid, but looking back he was accurate on a bunch of things. He's still a tool, but I'm willing to give credit where it's due. 

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

In response to a post from the gameday thread saying that an Eric S VP/Smith GM combo was ideal...

I really really don't like how comfortable/settled Eric S. is working in this environment. He could be buddies with Snyder as well for all we know, isn't he also still General Counsel for the team as well? No thanks. 

Kyle Smith has had other influences, people to network with outside the organization, and is younger...if he isn't given complete control I'm at least fine with him being the "talent" guy. But if someone is going to have power over him, I want it to be someone from outside the poison of this organization and not someone who has functioned and thrived within it for what, 15 years, like Eric S. has. 

We need someone to help bring a new culture here along with the HC they hire, not someone who has spent so much time in the already existent cesspool culture. Someone who will have no qualms tearing apart any part of the FO or football operations, rather than already having personal relationships with everyone in the building from Dan to Marketing to PR to the medical staff etc.

I only have to point to the Wizards as an example of a guy (Tommy Sheppard) getting a shot after years of working under terrible owners in Abe Pollin and Ted Leonsis & a terrible GM in Ernie Grunfeld.

In his first offseason as the Wizards GM, Tommy hit on the no. 9 pick in Rui Hachimura, got key contributors Davis Bertans (who they could flip for a first easily) and Mo Wagner for free & got Brad Beal to sign an improbable extension the league wasn't expecting him to sign / resigned Thomas Bryant. More importantly, he has set a course for this organization, focusing on developing the young pieces and having them play the right way. 

Not saying Schaffer / Smith will be as effective as Tommy has been but the example of Tommy effectively counters the point you are making

11 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

Russell's track record is on point in recent years actually, compared to the years that must be bringing you to this conclusion

2 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Russell used to annoy me when I still drunk the Redskins koolaid, but looking back he was accurate on a bunch of things. He's still a tool, but I'm willing to give credit where it's due. 

Russell is the guy who said Tomsula and Callahan were definitely gone this offseason. He said his sources in the building told him it was confirmed. Now Callahan is the head coach. This was just this past offseason. I realized that most likely he's getting played by someone in the organization. They give him a little bit that's right, then a lot that's wrong, and he laps up the wrong because it's usually the sensational. 

7 minutes ago, method man said:

I only have to point to the Wizards as an example of a guy (Tommy Sheppard) getting a shot after years of working under terrible owners in Abe Pollin and Ted Leonsis & a terrible GM in Ernie Grunfeld.

In his first offseason as the Wizards GM, Tommy hit on the no. 9 pick in Rui Hachimura, got key contributors Davis Bertans (who they could flip for a first easily) and Mo Wagner for free & got Brad Beal to sign an improbable extension the league wasn't expecting him to sign / resigned Thomas Bryant. More importantly, he has set a course for this organization, focusing on developing the young pieces and having them play the right way. 

Not saying Schaffer / Smith will be as effective as Tommy has been but the example of Tommy effectively counters the point you are making

Not really, because in this case Smith is the talent evaluator who would be making the picks and picking the FAs. I don't follow the Wizards but it sounds like roster construction is where you think that guy proved his worth--to me that would be Smith's job as GM and a VP or whatever would do everything else. And I just don't see a reason to let someone who has existed and thrived for so long in this loser culture be that guy. We need fresh eyes to tear down and rebuild the football and business operations of this franchise. 

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

Not really, because in this case Smith is the talent evaluator who would be making the picks and picking the FAs. I don't follow the Wizards but it sounds like roster construction is where you think that guy proved his worth--to me that would be Smith's job as GM and a VP or whatever would do everything else. And I just don't see a reason to let someone who has existed and thrived for so long in this loser culture be that guy. We need fresh eyes to tear down and rebuild the football and business operations of this franchise. 

Sure but the point stands that just because a guy has worked under a terrible leader does not mean that guy can't step in to set a new culture. By all accounts, Schaffer is bright and well liked across and outside the organization (like Tommy)

16 minutes ago, method man said:

Sure but the point stands that just because a guy has worked under a terrible leader does not mean that guy can't step in to set a new culture. By all accounts, Schaffer is bright and well liked across and outside the organization (like Tommy)

How many FO types across the league are having much of a relationship with our contract guy/general counsel? I'm sure he's well-liked by agents but I haven't really heard that he has much of a rep around the league other than being good with contracts (which is insanely overrated and doesn't even seem to serve us that well since the dummies in charge are having him write up the contracts), not that it means much considering all the BS stuff we heard over the years about scrubs like Morocco Brown and Scott Campbell being so respected around the league lol. 

I just don't see a reason to reward a contract guy with a position like that, there's no reason to think it's his forte. He is good with contracts but he's not picking the players, he's not in a leadership position, and there's no reason whatsoever to think he knows what it takes to create a culture from scratch or build a winning organization.

He's seemingly a smart guy but he's essentially a lawyer who knows NFL contract language really well. The only reason to give that job (if it even exists) to a guy like Eric S. is to reward loyalty and keep continuity--I do not want continuity. There's no reason at all to think Eric is qualified for that type of oversight position in an NFL FO. 

Regarding the Shaw comments and how that indicates Bruce might still be in the plans, I don’t buy it.  

I keep coming back to Dan KNOWING he has to do something bold because his customers have left in droves, and he’s aware enough to know who public enemy #1 is, and I think he has come to the realization that he has to do SOMETHING bold, and that shuffling deck chairs on the titanic is just not going to cut it with the fan base. And I’m sure he doesn’t really care about the fan base that much except he wants their money and he’s not getting it.  The money he’s getting is shared revenue from the NFL TV contests and what not.

He desperately wants sponsorship dollars and ticket sales to go up.  And THAT is driving the decision making process. Not winning on the field.

The irony is if he actually gives the fans what they want, he might just luck into a situation more conducive to winning. Though I don’t think winning is actually going to be the driving force behind whatever decision he makes.

@ConnSKINS26 I agree but “the top guy” can’t be Kyle Smith or Doug Williams, and unless it’s a Top Candidate coach with all of the authority (like Marty/Gibbs/Shanahan) then it’s either somebody from outside the organization, or if it’s somebody inside, Eric seems like the best of the obvious choices.  Wouldn’t be my ideal. 

58 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

Russell is the guy who said Tomsula and Callahan were definitely gone this offseason. He said his sources in the building told him it was confirmed. Now Callahan is the head coach. This was just this past offseason. I realized that most likely he's getting played by someone in the organization. They give him a little bit that's right, then a lot that's wrong, and he laps up the wrong because it's usually the sensational. 

I listen to Russell all the time.  He said Tomsula was considering retiring but would definitely go if Manusky was let go.  He said Callahan wanted to go but he was still under contract and Bruce might not let him. 

Russell broke the Scot story.  The Doug hire.    He had the scoop on most of the defensive coordinator interviews a couple years back before any reporter.  He's far from perfect.  but he's certainly in the loop somehow. 

Archived