Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

On the stadium it would behoove Bruce to delay it I gather if his job security is truly interlinked with it.  As I mentioned here before I know some about the process at least from the perspective of Florida and the way Bruce is going about it (unless this has changed) comes off to me as a cheap and arrogant way where I'd be surprised if it works.  Maybe long ago, a team can try to pull something like that in house so to speak.  But now where its become established that these stadiums aren't slam dunk winners for these communities economically -- you need to have all your guns blazing so to speak which I've specified in previous posts what that means.  As far as we know, this is Bruce going it alone as a one horse pony.  As I mentioned, if he pulls it off that way I'd be very impressed but I'll believe it only if/when it happens. 

This is probably the correct thread for this take:

I think we have some of the worst asset management in the NFL.

Sitting on Williams, not moving Doctson (if we've tried to trade him and if we've gotten any teams that are even somewhat interested) are the two latest scenarios. A shrewd team would get assets for assets. I really don't remember us really doing that in recent history at all. We cut guys outright, sure, but I just don't see asset management going on.

And I think that puts us in a hole.

I used this example yesterday in another thread, but I'll re-hash it.

If we are actually going to keep Williams on the roster, it's akin to buying a new house but keeping the old one. So we still have payments due (which, we may be able to convince the bank to push them off for a few years, but if we never make the payments we're going to lose the old house and get nothing for it!) for both properties. But the old property is going to need some upkeep/maintenance done to it after it sits idle for a few years. We could have sold the old house and really helped with our payments on the new one, but we didn't and now we're stuck with two payments and quite possibly won't be getting anything for the old house unless we get lucky next year and someone is desperate for a home and throws a lowball offer at us for it.

It's a good post above.  From my own experience playing with that realty analogy.  When I ended up buying my current house, it almost didn't happen.  My realtor who was emotional and the sellers realtor who was also very emotional couldn't work together at the end.  And I sensed from conversations with my own relator, that she wanted to walk away from a deal because she didn't want to give the seller's realtor the satisfaction.   I got upset and circumvented my own realtor and called the seller directly and we worked around the realtors and made a deal.

I've heard multiple times on air from people who have dealt with Bruce that he can be a petty-vindictive dude.  So my fear specifically to the Trent drill is that he might be willing to do a stare down with Trent as opposed to in his mind buckling. 

Whether its something like this or getting digs/last word to kick Scot, Shanny, Kirk or whomever out the door seems to be part of the culture of the FO.  Maybe it comes from Dan considering he doesn't always have the reputation of being gracious. 

I think what some of the straggler FO defenders miss about the FO's critics is its not ALL about their drafts to some of us.  I worship the draft as much as anyone.  I live on that draft thread.  And on that front, they've improved.  I don't argue that.  It's the main reason why I think this operation is "meh" and not awful as most of the national media purports.   That is, their college drafting helps offset all the rest of the crap that they do poorly IMO.   But there is also an element of having a vision and being proactive and operating with class.  And on the class front in particular, Bruce IMO has not turned the tide at all.  On that front to me its same old same old to a tee.    It's the main reason IMO why this team is fashionable to dislike from so many others. 

Back to Trent, I think in the end Trent forces the issue and he gets traded.  At least I hope that's what happens.  But I can see a situation like this being messier with this organization compared to the standard team because of how they tend to roll. 

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is probably the correct thread for this take:

This is what gets missed greatly by the folks who believe the org has turned the corner, because we draft and don't fire up Redskins One for every big $ free agent. There is so much more to being a GM than simply having good drafts.  It's about managing assets properly, from having a long term plan and unified vision with the coaches, being ahead of the curve rather than late to the party, knowing how to massage egos, and shake while others move.  That starts with a sound organizational structure where not only are the roles clearly defined, but the best possible people fill those roles.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

The more I hate-watch that Boob Allen interview, the more I think Williams will not be going anywhere. The slimy, arrogant smirk on Allen's face the whole time jsut screams "**** you!" Allen won't be seen as the "loser" in this, so he'll stick it to Trent until Trent relents. 

23 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It’s August 1980, Riggins is under contract but refuses to report.  Beathard blinks, panics and flips him to the Chargers for a 2nd round pick (prolly a fair offer for Riggo at that point).

Would that have been considered good “asset management”?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

The more I hate-watch that Boob Allen interview, the more I think Williams will not be going anywhere. The slimy, arrogant smirk on Allen's face the whole time jsut screams "**** you!" Allen won't be seen as the "loser" in this, so he'll stick it to Trent until Trent relents. 

He really is loathsome.

And I agree.  Brucey is going to "win" this (in his own distorted mind) no matter what.  

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It’s August 1980, Riggins is under contract but refuses to report.  Beathard blinks, panics and flips him to the Chargers for a 2nd round pick (prolly a fair offer for Riggo at that point).

Thats a terrible example.  Just because theres also A. A player and B. a holdout doesnt meant they are anything alike.  There have been countless people over the decades that have held out and either traded, not traded, retired, etc.  Beathard didnt blink because Bethard knew what was best for the team, and he knew John Riggins.  He knew Riggins was a drunkard who freely spend his money and would be broke.  He knew it was ALL about money for Riggins, who literally told them that.  He basically told them "I will gladly play for you, I just want more money first'.

That is completely different than a player who has tons of money, wisely saved it, and has literally told you he will never play for you again no matter how much money you give him or anything you do.  To pretend health and money are the same motivators is absurd as well.

I have a feeling Trent might still come back, maybe I'm crazy or just hopeful but I'm trying to read between the lines in what was said yesterday and you have Bruce Bruce saying Trent will play football again and then you have D Hall relaying Trent's message that he won't show up before week 1.

Trent had an opportunity yesterday to put every nail in the coffin on if he would ever return to the Redskins and he didn't do it, why?

21 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

We have no idea about any of it.  But for a guy to start passing on game checks the size of his, one would assume he's doing okay.

That's the other thing, though. For all we know, he and the FO may have some that includes him getting paid or maybe they've told him they don't plan to dock him. Doesn't get still get paid, anyway, because of veteran status? I can't remember how that works under the current CBA. Hall says TW isn't playing week one. Ok... I don't think he'd be in shape anyway and he'd probably pull a hammy. That's week one, doesn't tell us anything at all. We really don't know what's going on.

39 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

That's the other thing, though. For all we know, he and the FO may have some that includes him getting paid or maybe they've told him they don't plan to dock him. 

That seems like a stretch in this scenario, as nothing suggests this is friendly.

41 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Doesn't get still get paid, anyway, because of veteran status? I can't remember how that works under the current CBA.

No, that's not how it works.  No game checks for those who don't report, veteran or not.

41 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Hall says TW isn't playing week one. Ok... I don't think he'd be in shape anyway and he'd probably pull a hammy. That's week one, doesn't tell us anything at all. We really don't know what's going on.

I agree that saying he won't be there next week doesn't mean much.  Perhaps he has a change of heart when it hits his checkbook.  No matter how much money you have, there is never too much money.  On it's face, it would seem that is what Bruce is counting on.  

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It's not really an apples:apples comparison. Riggins was after just money, Trent is fed up with the shoddy treatment from medical staff and doesn't trust Allen et al (who does really?). The Skins then were on the cusp of a dynasty, we're on the cusp of not outright sucking for 5 straight years! Beathard was a HOF GM, Allen is a HOF POS.

Yes, we are doing some things well: We're not chasing after stupid FAs, and drafting better. But we're still making colossal dip**** moves like Alex Smith.

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It's tough to say, but the maturity of the team matters too. In 1980, the Redskins were a team coming off of 8 winning records over 9 years. They were a contending team. This iteration is looking at POSSIBLY getting to .500 and we haven't sniffed the playoffs in the previous 3 seasons. 

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Sitting on Williams, not moving Doctson (if we've tried to trade him and if we've gotten any teams that are even somewhat interested) are the two latest scenarios. A shrewd team would get assets for assets. I really don't remember us really doing that in recent history at all. We cut guys outright, sure, but I just don't see asset management going on.

What happens with Trent will be critical to this point.

Buy Doctson, really. Asset or simply a first round liability. 

Prior to that we have had few assets to manage in recent times. We have now. A stacked DL, Scherff for example on the OL. Let's make a judgement on that. 

But Doctson? **** me a clear bust. 

6 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

No, but do we currently have someone on staff the level of one Joe Jackson Gibbs that will go to Trent's house and convince him to come back despite the myriad of issues he has with the franchise?

4 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

I have a feeling Trent might still come back, maybe I'm crazy or just hopeful but I'm trying to read between the lines in what was said yesterday and you have Bruce Bruce saying Trent will play football again and then you have D Hall relaying Trent's message that he won't show up before week 1.

Trent had an opportunity yesterday to put every nail in the coffin on if he would ever return to the Redskins and he didn't do it, why?

Here's the thing about Trent's current situation: what he intends to do, in this moment, and what may end up happening are two totally different things, which makes predicting the outcome very difficult.  We don't really know what his long term intentions are, despite what we have heard through the grapevine, we only know in the short term he has no plans to come back.  From what I've heard, he plans on sitting the entire year.

Bruce Allen is so incompetent playing with other people's money. Can you get worse than this guy who is all ego. We could have traded Trent Williams and Josh Doctson to Houston for at least 2 first round picks but this asshole (Bruce Allen wants to teach Williams a lesson of unknown origin instead of looking out for the team first but instead he would rather play chicken with a guy who isn't going to play. Bruce you are one dumb wastage. Damn can this guy get fired for anything? 

4 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

Bruce Allen is so incompetent playing with other people's money. Can you get worse than this guy who is all ego. We could have traded Trent Williams and Josh Doctson to Houston for at least 2 first round picks but this asshole (Bruce Allen wants to teach Williams a lesson of unknown origin instead of looking out for the team first but instead he would rather play chicken with a guy who isn't going to play. Bruce you are one dumb wastage. Damn can this guy get fired for anything? 

THE. TEXANS. DID. NOT. OFFER. THAT. MUCH. FOR. TRENT. AND. JOSH. DOCTSON.

Archived