Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't much have faith with Dan-Bruce in charge they'd ever build a consistent winner or SB team.  But when I saw Jerry World, I figured back then that Dan-Bruce could compete with that and get their own impressive stadium.  Getting a stadium is much about politics and networking -- and they have a unique situation compared to most teams with three different locations possibly vying against each other.  Based on what's been reported they are off to a rocky start though.  But Ill give Bruce this if he indeed is still working this single handily with basically the help of his brother and they pull off a prime local, then I'll give him props on that front.  I never thought I'd care about the brand.  In the past I cared purely about winning.  But I don't love the brand sliding.  And short of winning, I think the most important thing is a spanking new stadium in a prime local. 

A shiney new stadium may work for a year or two but once the newness wears off; if the team isn't winning, things will go back to the same old, same old.

IF the team isn't a consistent winner; then that new stadium will be filled with mostly fans of other teams.

I don't know why anyone would think a new stadium will help the relationship with the fans...you think Snyder will be able to resist going the expensive PSL route? Of course he won't. The relationship with the fans will only get WORSE when the PSL thing prices out normal everyday fans and makes it even more of a quiet corporate atmosphere for opponents. The narrative will veer even harder into "you want us to pay HOW MUCH to watch this team lose, you greedy SOB?" than it already has, especially if at that point he's already gotten the taxpayer subsidy you know he'll demand in a stadium deal. The local fanbase might hate Snyder more than ever before if I'm right about this and we most likely continue losing. 

Ive been saying the stadium has to be done right. Yeah if it’s done like NY where it’s in the same boring and inconvenient location as the Meadowlands were (feet away from it ironically). And their stadium has no character to it. And they charge PSL then naturally it won’t go over well. 

My thought isn’t what if Dan gets a new stadium and just creates a new version of it that is as bad or even worse than the previous one but that’s fine because it’s new.

My thought is killer location, killer stadium as some of the new ones are or look to be like such as the one being built for the Rams.

Personally years back I thought Dan had it in him to pull that off albeit he doesn’t have it in him to build a winning franchise.  Now I don’t think he does have it in him to do either. But I think he has a better chance to get a nice stadium then build a winning culture.  Although I’d bet against both.

My point is if he can’t win then no way I can see this slide of fans checking out stop. A great stadium at least will stop some of that bleeding I think because if it’s done right going to a game won’t be just about the game. 

I was at Jerry World for a game where their season was lost in 2015 but the stadium was still almost fully filled.

We used to be neck and neck with Dallas as to the value of the franchise and revenue from operations. Now Dallas is way ahead of us and the gap seems widening every year. Part of that is Dallas is just a better team but I do think part of that soup is we have one of the worst stadiums in the league and they have one of the best.

But as for what if Dan and or Bruce screw up the stadium drill and aggravate things with fans even further - yeah I get that point and I’ve been implying for months on this thread I expect something like that to happen. So that’s why I said I hope they surprise me and if so I’d be happy to complement them if they did.

What about this team scream “cool”? Not much, thus the stadium will probably be lame as ****. 

Many of us are probably thinking a stadium with a unique design that has a great view (maybe a retractable roof), and even possibly having the training facility there too with lots of shops or whatever to go along with it.

Snyder and Allen on the other hand, are so desperate to cling onto the past that they will probably build a replica of RFK instead hoping to get the fans excited. 😕

Meanwhile, the younger generation is going to think “wtf is this ****”.

I just don’t have much faith in this team thinking for the future as they are stuck in the past way too much.

Anyone think of the possibility that Dan moves the team? Don't think it won't happen, because that's the same attitude people in Cleveland, Baltimore, Houston, and San Diego had. (St. Louis doesn't count because...it's St. Louis). Five years from now the papers could be full of nasty quotes from Dan/Bruce about how the corrupt politicians are trying to run the Skins out of town, with countering accusations by those politicians about Dan's greed and Bruce's inability to build a winning team.

Art Modell couldn't get a new stadium in Cleveland partly because the team continued to stink on the field, and no one took his threats to move seriously until the moving vans showed up. It didn't help that he was a millionaire in a billionaire's game.

And don't forget Robert Irsay after moving the Colts: "It's not your ball team, it's not their ball team. It's my family's ball team. I paid for it, and I worked for it."

Dan doesn't have money problems, but he does have significant political problems that don't look like they're going away any time soon.

Beware of "It Can't Happen Here"-itis. I can't imagine the San Diego Redskins or Oakland Redskins, as there's no way California would allow a team with a questionable name to play there. But St. Louis Redskins has a certain ring to it...

3 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Can we **** can Bruce for that Colbert dude in Pittsburg next year?

To me Dan isn't about getting the right person in here to run things. He's more worried about who he can get along with. Who will go along with what he wants. If he truly wanted to win he would have gotten rid of Allen a while ago.  Instead he keeps him around simply because he needs someone who can shield him from the media/fans. 

The Redskins aren't going anywhere. Dan grew up here.  This is home for him. There's a very slim chance he'd move the team. However, if the dwindling fan base keep eroding year after year and he can't get a stadium then who knows. I don't know the ends and outs of the stadium issue but I think it gets done in DC eventually. If DC United got a stadium then why can't the Redskins get one. 

On July 25, 2019 at 4:48 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't much have faith with Dan-Bruce in charge they'd ever build a consistent winner or SB team.  But when I saw Jerry World, I figured back then that Dan-Bruce could compete with that and get their own impressive stadium.  Getting a stadium is much about politics and networking -- and they have a unique situation compared to most teams with three different locations possibly vying against each other.  Based on what's been reported they are off to a rocky start though.  But Ill give Bruce this if he indeed is still working this single handily with basically the help of his brother and they pull off a prime local, then I'll give him props on that front.  I never thought I'd care about the brand.  In the past I cared purely about winning.  But I don't love the brand sliding.  And short of winning, I think the most important thing is a spanking new stadium in a prime local. 

I think Jerry was very aware of the fact that the perception of how well the team is being run overall, would impact how much support he would get for building Jerry World.  I think these issues were one of the reasons that he brought in Parcells, and was willing to give him a lot of input into putting together the team.  

I think Bruce has done a bang up job, with again his team in shambles just weeks before preseason, and his stadium deal fallen through with a key player arrested.

If anyone actually believes we will see a shiny announcement this year, then they are ignoring why Bruce threw out the 2022 line.

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

I think Bruce has done a bang up job, with again his team in shambles just weeks before preseason, and his stadium deal fallen through with a key player arrested.

I’m sorry, key player arrested? What? Also, “team in shambles just weeks before preseason”? Have i missed Something? Other than the Trent Williams holdout, how is this team currently “in shambles”? Please, do tell.....

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I’m sorry, key player arrested? What? Also, “team in shambles just weeks before preseason”? Have i missed Something? Other than the Trent Williams holdout, how is this team currently “in shambles”? Please, do tell.....

Yes, jack Evans, the DC Council member who was playing a key role in pushing the stadium, was raided by the FBI, has been called to resign, and is under investigation for related items(though I guess he may not be arrested...yet).

I would say having little offensive line, no receiving core, a starting QB, any ILB, or half of a secondary would constitute being in shambles.  Lets face it, this team right now has a mess of problems off the field(Foster, Foster, and The Holdout to name a few), and the only obvious strength appears to be the defensive line.

36 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

That should be terrifying to everyone here if he's working the phones. When was the last time we "won" a trade involving a player? 

True but this one would be new turf for Dan's reign if they do it -- trading a marquee player for I presume a high draft pick.  We are usually the ones giving up the high draft picks for veterans or unloading veterans on the cheap.  

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

True but this one would be new turf for Dan's reign if they do it -- trading a marquee player for I presume a high draft pick.  We are usually the ones giving up the high draft picks for veterans or unloading veterans on the cheap.  

Let's hope it doesn't go down like the Champ Bailey deal did, where to get another star to distract from the loss of Champ we threw in a high draft pick ourselves to get a good player at a less premium position. 

I loved Portis, but poor trade obviously. There are similarly damaging extenuating circumstances here if Trent refuses to play for us ever again. That was always the thing people 'defended' the Champ trade with, that we didn't have a choice bc he didn't want to be here for non-football reasons. Well...here we are. 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Let's hope it doesn't go down like the Champ Bailey deal did, where to get another star to distract from the loss of Champ we threw in a high draft pick ourselves to get a good player at a less premium position. 

I loved Portis, but poor trade obviously. There are similarly damaging extenuating circumstances here if Trent refuses to play for us ever again. That was always the thing people 'defended' the Champ trade with, that we didn't have a choice bc he didn't want to be here for non-football reasons. Well...here we are. 

I loved Portis, too but agree it was a terrible trade.  The last trade they made where they acquired a veteran that IMO worked out well was L. Coles for Santana.    Otherwise their trades for veterans IMO have ranged from bad to train wreck level bad. 

Many will say “who cares about the business operations” ignoring the fact that it’s symbolic of what many of us have talked about for what feels like forever now.

Whether Dan is actually this evil pencil dick owner or just completely oblivious to what the problems actually are is beyond me.  Probably a bit of both.  But Ashburn desperately needs outside voices and more importantly Dan needs to listen to them.  Until that times comes, we will continue to be a soap opera.

The business operations article in the Wash Post today is just another sign in a long line of signs that tells us all we need to know about the toxic environment in the Redskins front office which then permeates to all aspects of this team- both the football side and the non-football side.   Most long term fans are not surprised by the dysfunction any more and are almost numb to it all.  

2 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Most long term fans are not surprised by the dysfunction any more and are almost numb to it all.  

There are segments to it:

• Those of us who cannot and will not be swayed until a heap of evidence (results) suggests that things have changed for the better.

Those that acknowledge that Ashburn is a mess, but just want to like their football team, and do what they have to do in order to digest it.

Those that are hell bent on believing things have already changed for the better and we just need to have patience, a juggernaut is building.

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There are segments to it:

• Those of us who cannot and will not be swayed until a heap of evidence (results) suggests that things have changed for the better.

Those that acknowledge that Ashburn is a mess, but just want to like their football team, and do what they have to do in order to digest it.

Those that are hell bent on believing things have already changed for the better and we just need to have patience, a juggernaut is building.

I'm the middle one...I find myself just hoping that the stars align and our front office gets lucky on all its decisions one year. Let's be real here, the best scenario for fans is for the current group to suddenly figure it out or get lucky. That's the most efficient path from where we are to where we'd like to be. 

23 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm the middle one...I find myself just hoping that the stars align and our front office gets lucky on all its decisions one year. Let's be real here, the best scenario for fans is for the current group to suddenly figure it out or get lucky. That's the most efficient path from where we are to where we'd like to be. 

There's more chances for aliens to come down to Earth and kidnap Dan & Bruce than them get lucky...

On 8/1/2019 at 6:01 PM, veteranskinsfan said:

The business operations article in the Wash Post today is just another sign in a long line of signs that tells us all we need to know about the toxic environment in the Redskins front office which then permeates to all aspects of this team- both the football side and the non-football side.   Most long term fans are not surprised by the dysfunction any more and are almost numb to it all.  

You got that right. Brian Lafemina, fired at the behest of George Allen's son, was hired to spearhead business operations for the 2028 Olympics, a colossal sporting enterprise. That says a lot. I'm not ragging on Snyder, but he needs to somehow snap out of this spell that the team president currently has him under. It's downright embarrassing, and is ruining this franchise.

Archived